So Farewell then Gordon McQueen

Just now, Cookie Monster said:

Gordon McQueen: Scotland, Manchester United, and Leeds United great dies aged 70 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63664992

Ach, very sad.

Used to go over to Love Street during the week and watch him training.

He persuaded me to go in goals, rattled a few AT me just for fun.

Met him quite a few years later down at Kilbirnie golf club, always a gentleman.

RIP big fella. 😢

One of my favourite players for Scotland during the ‘70s.
Sadly I don’t remember him during his playing days at Love Street but will always remember his goal in ‘77 at Wembley.

https://fb.watch/laLbRxM1yV/

He was so highly regarded that Ally McLeod took him to Argentina hoping he would be fit for the semi final. 

Sadly it was his heading ability was a massive part of his decline in health. 

Will there come a time in our lifetime when heading the ball is outlawed in football?

Was one of my first heroes at Love Street along with Ally McLeod.  He played with his heart on his sleeve and his "wanders" up the park were eagerly anticipated by the fans of the day.  He survived cancer and a stroke before that awful disease got him in the end.  So sad.

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Gordon McQueen: Scotland, Manchester United, and Leeds United great dies aged 70 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63664992

But not St Mirren?

Still a raw talent when he left us, but how many kids left a team like Saints and all but walked into Leeds 1st team?  even Jordan had to bide his time a little longer.   As a youngster he was was more than able for the experienced players he played with and against. I remember being behind the Love st end goals after he ran just about the whole length of the pitch with the ball, as the opposition backed of ALL the way from the centre to the 6 yard box,  to thrash the ball in the net so hard they had to peg the net again,  before turning and berating his team mates for not getting sruck in in the same way.

I don't think there was a Saints player in my life that turned out to be better than big Gordon, although Bobby Reid would arguably have been better.

What a player & what a man.

On 6/15/2023 at 6:40 PM, beyond our ken said:

Still a raw talent when he left us, but how many kids left a team like Saints and all but walked into Leeds 1st team?  even Jordan had to bide his time a little longer.   

Spot on Chris , I'm glad we lived through the period where the difference between the top of Scottish football and the peak of the English game was minimal. Big G played for us  in 72/73 against Stranraer , Stirling , Brechin and Berwick , and played in a European Final v AC Milan the same season.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2023 at 6:40 PM, beyond our ken said:

But not St Mirren?

Still a raw talent when he left us, but how many kids left a team like Saints and all but walked into Leeds 1st team?  even Jordan had to bide his time a little longer.   As a youngster he was was more than able for the experienced players he played with and against. I remember being behind the Love st end goals after he ran just about the whole length of the pitch with the ball, as the opposition backed of ALL the way from the centre to the 6 yard box,  to thrash the ball in the net so hard they had to peg the net again,  before turning and berating his team mates for not getting sruck in in the same way.

I don't think there was a Saints player in my life that turned out to be better than big Gordon, although Bobby Reid would arguably have been better.

What a player & what a man.

perhaps Jim Blair?