St Mirren v Aberdeen SPFL Premiership 27/8/23

shull

A fantastic performance. Our drive to attack is really heartening.  We outplayed the opposition who were clearly still tired after the Euro game.

Some observations:

VAR/Beaton cocked up for the equalising Pen.

Duk is a lazy bastard

Miovski is a prick, celebrating a Pen he cocked up. Cannot justify the missiles thrown on the pitch but he shouldn’t have ran right up to the Saints corner.

An exciting season ahead….

11 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

It's not VAR, it is the idiots who use it who are the problem.  Why did anyone think it would help when it is the same idiots deciding who have been cocking it up for years

For me it’s two separate points. Yes the people making the calls are absolute utter donkeys, but there are multiple VAR stoppages in that game regardless of who’s looking. 

The jury is far from out on this one, VAR just can’t work in a fair, slick manner in a game life football. It takes away from a big part of what makes it the beautiful game, it’s fast paced & continuous nature. 

Wasn't able to attend yesterday. Had to make do with PPV.  Bitter sweet feeling, having taken 7 points from 9 in our 3 league games, but knowing it should have been 9 from 9.

Brilliant performance from every Buddie who took the field. Completely outplayed Aberdeen for the whole game. A joy to watch.

Hemming's mistake for the first goal, I'm afraid, but he has credit in the bank for his previous penalty save and general performances so far. Fine run by Mandron and link-up with Greive for our second goal. 

As for VAR, I tend to side with the other 'oldies' that it has spoiled the flow of the game. Everything has already been said about the Aberdeen penalty, I think, but who decides the amount of stoppage time - the referee or the VAR official? If we hadn't had 8 minutes added on, the penalty would never have been given. 

A nice OF draw at Ibrox next week and a win for us at Livi would put us top of the table. Feels really strange, as a Saints fan, to be thinking that way, but as always.....

COYS!!

For me it’s two separate points. Yes the people making the calls are absolute utter donkeys, but there are multiple VAR stoppages in that game regardless of who’s looking. 

The jury is far from out on this one, VAR just can’t work in a fair, slick manner in a game life football. It takes away from a big part of what makes it the beautiful game, it’s fast paced & continuous nature. 
The main complaint about VAR is the amount of times it takes to come to these decisions at the game from opposite end of Stadium ours looked a stonewall penalty one view on Sportscene confirmed this so why the 4 min delay to give it.
Great performance, almost on a par with the Home win over Celtic last year,the only things missing were the goals
It would have been nice to start September in the top spot and we really should be there just now.  With the experience and vision of O'Hara and Aynga's goal threat we can maybe keep second place through the month
Do O'Hara or Ayunga even get in the team at the minute??? I would suggest not you have our 3rd choice striker scored 2 from the bench (should be 3 but VAR fuc**d that up too).
Then you have the midfield 3 of Boyd-Munce, Baccus and Kiltie playing some wonderful football last two weeks O'Hara might have to wait to get back in.

Sent from my T610K using Tapatalk

I was disappointed with  the result, 3_1 was there for thre taking ,but once again we gone on the Defensive ,disrupt the back line and pay the consequences. 

If we want to be a top 6 team we go on and finish when we are on top ,we have the players  to do it ,but the manager dies not believe we are up for it.

We got away with it at Hibs ,but we cannot keep doing it 

17 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Yip it felt like they were scouring the footage looking for a reason to chalk it off

I'm sure Beaton was saying can't you find anything take it back a good bit at least 5mins 

Football Sport GIF by ElevenSportsBE

Can imagine one of them sitting there saying there's a seagull in a offside position does that count boss 

This 5 minute delay also contributed to the 10 minutes “injury” time, match should have been over by the time Aberdeen got their penalty. 

I’ve made my views on VAR very clear in previous discussions & the events of yesterday simply strengthened my opposition to it .

As someone said, it’s the same clowns who are making the decisions but taking f**king ages to do it ……and in many cases , still getting it wrong .   
Im sure someone will come along and say they get “most calls”  correct but to have three or four officials watching multiple angles / replays / slo-mos and missing things like the penalty is unacceptable.
Two points stolen as a result of incompetence of a ref or linesman is bad enough, we can bemoan these things over a pint in the pub or online after the game but to have a whole team of officials f**king it up and having to pay extra for the privilege is galling. 

Extra cost to clubs, ridiculous delays and infuriating decisions - get VAR to f**k . 

5 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

I was disappointed with  the result, 3_1 was there for thre taking ,but once again we gone on the Defensive ,disrupt the back line and pay the consequences. 

If we want to be a top 6 team we go on and finish when we are on top ,we have the players  to do it ,but the manager dies not believe we are up for it.

We got away with it at Hibs ,but we cannot keep doing it 

Disrupting the back line had nothing to do with it.

Boyd-Munce was breathing out of his arse, so moving Gogic into midfield and putting Bolton on was the correct call.

As much as the Mandron and Greive sub got us our second goal, I think taking off a tiring Olusanya invited them onto us a bit more, as he terrorised them the whole game.

If only the he was a more composed finisher, we would have been 2 - 1 to the good, before he went off.

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The main complaint about VAR is the amount of times it takes to come to these decisions at the game from opposite end of Stadium ours looked a stonewall penalty one view on Sportscene confirmed this so why the 4 min delay to give it. Do O'Hara or Ayunga even get in the team at the minute??? I would suggest not you have our 3rd choice striker scored 2 from the bench (should be 3 but VAR fuc**d that up too).
Then you have the midfield 3 of Boyd-Munce, Baccus and Kiltie playing some wonderful football last two weeks O'Hara might have to wait to get back in.

Agreed. He should not just be given a start as soon as he is fit. The 3 you mention have been superb and deserve to keep their places. O'Hara will be a big player for us at some point this season but I wouldn't change things just to get him back in at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

Ohara would be straight back in for Baccus..

Baccus and Strain are an amazing unit playing together, their interplay can be beautiful to watch. Look at the build-up to our penalty yesterday. I'm pretty sure O'Hara will be a starter when he's fit again but hopefully not at the expense of Baccus.

Couldn't make it to game, had to watch on iptv with red TV, that was fun! Thought we were excellent and deserved a victory, as others have said its good times when we are disappointed to be drawing with aberdeen. To a man a great performance and consistency is now the aim. We can give anyone a game now, SR is working out as an excellent appointment 

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The main complaint about VAR is the amount of times it takes to come to these decisions at the game from opposite end of Stadium ours looked a stonewall penalty one view on Sportscene confirmed this so why the 4 min delay to give it. Do O'Hara or Ayunga even get in the team at the minute??? I would suggest not you have our 3rd choice striker scored 2 from the bench (should be 3 but VAR fuc**d that up too).

O'Hara remains our prime playing asset and Ayunga's form of last year could well put him in the mix for a starting place in games where we will soak it up and hit on the break.  Grieve seems far happier coming off the bench and taking advantage of tiring defenders and I suspect that is where he will stay.  Small is also back and on a one year loan he is going to be playing sooner rather than later.  Overall a good position when a larger squad is needed, remember how badly we faded in the final 5 or 6 games of last season, that is far less likely now

I am concerned that the younger players will get less game time now that the squad has been strengthened, Robinson does not seem to me to be the kind of manager to give a player a run just to help him develop.

31 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

O'Hara remains our prime playing asset and Ayunga's form of last year could well put him in the mix for a starting place in games where we will soak it up and hit on the break.  Grieve seems far happier coming off the bench and taking advantage of tiring defenders and I suspect that is where he will stay.  Small is also back and on a one year loan he is going to be playing sooner rather than later.  Overall a good position when a larger squad is needed, remember how badly we faded in the final 5 or 6 games of last season, that is far less likely now

I am concerned that the younger players will get less game time now that the squad has been strengthened, Robinson does not seem to me to be the kind of manager to give a player a run just to help him develop.

I agree with this.
Much as I think youth is the lifeblood of clubs such as ours, there’s no doubt that the “conveyor belt” of talent we have produced over the years doesn’t seem to be producing as many first team regulars under Robbo .

There are lots of promising youngsters but not many getting first team game time but as we are doing very well, playing some of the best football many have seen for some time & competing well against teams with budgets well above ours , how many would trade that for a team bringing through youngsters and us being a yo-yo club ? 
I think Robbo has a very clear idea of what works, if any youngsters are going to break into the first team and keep their place , they are going to have to be McGinn or Lambert class . 

9 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I agree with this.
Much as I think youth is the lifeblood of clubs such as ours, there’s no doubt that the “conveyor belt” of talent we have produced over the years doesn’t seem to be producing as many first team regulars under Robbo .

There are lots of promising youngsters but not many getting first team game time but as we are doing very well, playing some of the best football many have seen for some time & competing well against teams with budgets well above ours , how many would trade that for a team bringing through youngsters and us being a yo-yo club ? 
I think Robbo has a very clear idea of what works, if any youngsters are going to break into the first team and keep their place , they are going to have to be McGinn or Lambert class . 

I think Robinson's attitude seems to be that we should sign players who are underperforming elsewhere, restore their confidence and performances and then see if they can be sold on.  The problem we have there is that these players are signed on short-ish contracts and if they don't sign an extension or move on very quickly then we miss that chance to cash in.  The other big risk is that the prices to land these players in the first place may rise or the availability goes down and we sign a few duds.

The best money we have seen in recent years has been on academy graduates who have gone elsewhere for their development

I’ve just about calmed down after Saturday - been a long time since I’ve been so angry after a game. I felt all the key decisions went against us. It’s all been covered previously so I won’t go over them again. It was just very disappointing to miss out on winning first three top flight games since the 40s and also going clear at the top. Not to mention my St Mirren winning bet builder with Greive scoring - which would have netted me £75 ☹️

Anyways - we look a unit now - Baccus - amongst many others - had a great game - so I hope he keeps his place when O’Hara back. Also Kiltie was excellent and he would be in my team every week.

Hopefully we can get past Hibs in the cup and get to Hampden. Apart from against Rangers I think we would be favourites in any other semi final match up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 1:58 PM, DougJamie said:

FFS grow up.... your carry on with Baz killed threads and pushed many a decent poster to the hills...as you have been on here years you should know FAS reacts and having an opinion is fine as are disagreements...but as you are siding with pondlife now you seem to be joining their anti forum gang ...any way youre boring the tits off me and my team are my reason on here.. 

Always been utter rubbish. The nature of BAWA has always been that people don’t need to engage if they don’t want to.

Most of the threads that have had long running arguments would also have been long dead without them. 

If you’re claiming people have left because they’re just incapable of ignoring/ focusing on other parts of the forum, that’s on them.