St Mirren v Hibernian SPFL Premiership 8/11/23

shull

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Reasonable summary from the BBC...................

Same old Hibs, uncharacteristic St Mirren - analysis

Montgomery spoke pre-game about turning draws into wins. Yet again, they impressed with the performance, but the result did not follow.

They passed the ball with confidence, they did not allow St Mirren to play virtually any football for the first 35 minutes, they looked dangerous with Youan and Jair Tavares.

But it was not enough. That is now two wins in 10 games for Montgomery and what looked like a decent start has turned into a very slow one.

St Mirren began as poorly as they have all season but still managed to come back and rescue something. In a game of mentalities, St Mirren showed theirs is far stronger.

It is an encouraging sign when you can get something when you are not at your best. Manager Stephen Robinson can take the positive from that.

No one has mentioned  the flat atmosphere  at the start ,crowd very quiet, ditto the tram  took until second  half to get going

Hibs have good players in every position, some of whom are better than our corresponding first pick and they continue to play like Livingston.  There is not much change between the style of their two managers and their stand-in this season.

The latest excuse-making manager, who probably won't last any longer than Johnson, was bleating about decisions however you could see their spirit desert them as the match ran into the final minutes.  Good players don't seem to like persisting with the gamesmanship and spoiling that these managers demand.  Wasting time with 70 minutes left is guaranteed to feel like a burden on a player, unless you are a nasty git like Marshall, and rather than win a point i think we were there to catch one of the two that Hibs dropped

Biggest positives were LJ's performance and Hemmings continued improvement.  I don't think we had an open-play goal in us until LJ appeared and that's a worry.  Mandron was flat from the start and Baccus looked like he is struggling, Kiltie & Tanser just never got going either.  

Edited by beyond our ken

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Hibs have good players in every position, some of whom are better than our corresponding first pick and they continue to play like Livingston.  There is not much change between the style of their two managers and their stand-in this season.

The latest excuse-making manager, who probably won't last any longer than Johnson, was bleating about decisions however you could see their spirit desert them as the match ran into the final minutes.  Good players don't seem to like persisting with the gamesmanship and spoiling that these managers demand.  Wasting time with 70 minutes left is guaranteed to feel like a burden on a player, unless you are a nasty git like Marshall, and rather than win a point i think we were there to catch one of the two that Hibs dropped

Biggest positives were LJ's performance and Hemmings continued improvement.  I don't think we had an open-play goal in us until LJ appeared and that's a worry.  Mandron was flat from the start and Baccus looked like he is struggling, Kiltie & Tanser just never got going either.  

Agree regarding Mandron but couldn't disagree more with the rest.  Tanser had a great first half resulting in several good deliveries into the box. Kiltie covered every blade of grass trying to make up for Mandron's lack of effort and he used the ball well. Baccus won more tackles in his first 5 minutes than the pedestrian O'Hara had done up to that point.  He also brought a strangely quiet Strain into the game more, and generally lifted the tempo of the entire team as soon as he came on (despite his foul after about 8 seconds 😄).

16 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

Agree regarding Mandron but couldn't disagree more with the rest.  Tanser had a great first half resulting in several good deliveries into the box. Kiltie covered every blade of grass trying to make up for Mandron's lack of effort and he used the ball well. Baccus won more tackles in his first 5 minutes than the pedestrian O'Hara had done up to that point.  He also brought a strangely quiet Strain into the game more, and generally lifted the tempo of the entire team as soon as he came on (despite his foul after about 8 seconds 😄).

From my position, i could see that the bulk of the problems we had defending, especially in the first half, were a result ofthere being no "out" ball for Gogic and Taylor especilly along the left.   We continually lost possession on the left side due to poor positioning and I felt that most of the crosses were overhit

I thought Baccus did dig in and his use of the ball wasn't at his usual standard.  I was told he is carrying an injury so hopefully he won't be travelling to join his national team

15 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

Well I was grateful to the "pedestrian" O'Hara who was the king of cool taking that penalty.

We deserved that draw even if some think we were lucky to achieve it.

Good teams work hard to create "luck" and right now, that's us. 

On our penalty, my Hibby mate has swallowed the bait and believes his manager that there was a foul on the keeper and it was never a penalty.

I've double checked.

We definitely scored from a penalty.

Oh... In the good old days it would never have been awarded, but there was a definite tug on the jersey and in this day and age, that's a stonewaller. 

Screenshot_2023-11-08-21-39-08-338_com.bet365Wrapper.Bet365_Application-edit.jpg

Picsart_23-11-09_08-45-02-641.jpg

Usually I like Madron but should have been hooked at half time. He was very lazy. SR always talks about defending starting with the front player. Kiltie was knackered covering for him. He strolled around like it was a pre season friendly.

Regarding the game, we started off poorly. Took 40mins to start the game. That's not good enough and not really like us. Think we started being a bit more energetic when Baccus came on. Really chuffed for LJ great finish. On to Dundee. Coys

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Last night was one of those games that the team seemed “off-it”. The ball at times just didn’t fall to our players in the box. Both their goals came from defensive errors.  

These games happen now and then. Hopefully it’s not a habit.

Let’s also give some credit to Hibs. 

In the league we have so far attained 4 points from two games against a team with a turnover 3 or 4 times greater than us. 

We are on track for a great league campaign.

Keep this up and we will get to Europe next season!

8 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

No one has mentioned  the flat atmosphere  at the start ,crowd very quiet, ditto the tram  took until second  half to get going

It felt really strange.  Car park lights were out when we arrived. There was no music as the system  was knackered and the crowd were very quiet.  The players warming up and back in the dressing room may well have been affected by the lack of noise  which  might normally get them geed up.  It's not as daft as it sounds

23 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Yes, lucky in that VAR picked it up, and the ref saw enough in it to give the penalty. I've seen enough of those NOT given, and if it was at the other end we'd all be saying no penalty.  As for the draw, yes it was the right result in the end, but that doesn't mean we deserved it.

Nonsense.

Clear as day.

Just as it was when Mandron did the same v Dundee and a penalty was awarded.

10 hours ago, Swiss_Saint said:

The game I watched had afew of our players performing well below their best but we still created more than Hibs who are a good team with some outstanding players.

Were we lucky , I dont think so, the penalty you can clearly see the guy still has his jersey in his hand as he is going down which some believe to have been soft while their first goal was a very rare brainfart (that backpass was another) from one of our normally outstanding performers.

What I love about the current team is their attitude, Robinson has instilled in them a never surrender attitude which has turned what would in the past have been losses into draws and draws into wins. We have not lost to anyone in the league outside of the ugly's this season and deserve to be exactly where we sit in the table.

Compare this season to previous ones and I am living the dream, we are on one of the hithertoo (hopefully long lasting this time) short up's in the rollercoaster of being a Saint's fan so enjoy the moment folks probably plenty of time for doom and gloom next season.

The future is currently bright 

We also have subs who make a positive difference when they come on and all of our forwards have now scored goals at the top level.

With another proven goal scorer in Ayunga to come back, we're looking a far better prospect in this respect compared to last season.

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

We also have subs who make a positive difference when they come on and all of our forwards have now scored goals at the top level.

With another proven goal scorer in Ayunga to come back, we're looking a far better prospect in this respect compared to last season.

I looked at Lewis Jamieson's stats yesterday and he scored 8 in 18 for Airdrieonians. That's very impressive. Once Ayunga's back we'll be spoilt for choice.

16 hours ago, FTOF said:

Nonsense.

Clear as day.

Just as it was when Mandron did the same v Dundee and a penalty was awarded.

You might think so, but here's a few snippets from the Hibs fans.

Definitely shafted minor shirt pull then full on dive. Never a pen in a million years. Genuinely think they are trolling us at present.

Did McLean not initally award a free kick for Hibs? If so, why is the foul which caused that superseded by the Obita foul?

Would love to know why the VAR review for St Mirren’s penalty tonight focused on Obita’s foul and none of the other fouls happening in the box.  As it is, it feels like we’ve been shafted by VAR again with very selective use of it.

VAR, f**king typical and that was never a penalty.

Looking at the penalty decision that went against Hibs last night, there are a couple of obvious points to make.  First, Jordan Obita and Richard Taylor appear to be engaged in nothing more than the usual sort of wrestling seen at every single corner in every game of football ever played. 

What makes you think our fans would be any different?

8 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

You might think so, but here's a few snippets from the Hibs fans.

Definitely shafted minor shirt pull then full on dive. Never a pen in a million years. Genuinely think they are trolling us at present.

Did McLean not initally award a free kick for Hibs? If so, why is the foul which caused that superseded by the Obita foul?

Would love to know why the VAR review for St Mirren’s penalty tonight focused on Obita’s foul and none of the other fouls happening in the box.  As it is, it feels like we’ve been shafted by VAR again with very selective use of it.

VAR, f**king typical and that was never a penalty.

Looking at the penalty decision that went against Hibs last night, there are a couple of obvious points to make.  First, Jordan Obita and Richard Taylor appear to be engaged in nothing more than the usual sort of wrestling seen at every single corner in every game of football ever played. 

What makes you think our fans would be any different?

VAR would freeze on this... 100% a penalty under modern rules! 

Hibs fans are stuck in the days of Enid Blyton. 

Picsart_23-11-09_08-45-02-641.jpg

It was a penalty, but my point is that it was soft, and some of our fans are so blinkered that, if it was given against us, would be saying no penalty, just as some of the Hibs fans are doing.

The other point is why THAT offence and none of the ones that go on at every dead ball situation? There would be 10 penalties a game if that standard is applied.

And, if it was as 'clear as day' as FTOF says, then how did the referee, 2 linesmen and the 4th official ALL miss it, as did the TV commentators?

On 11/6/2023 at 9:43 AM, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I assume the family stand takes a big hit in numbers for midweek games with weans not being allowed to evening games. 
Out of curiosity can everyone remember the first evening game they attended by themselves or with mates?

This was my first…..

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=197702070

I was 10 years old. Seems a bit mental now that parents would let their kids do such things at such a young age. I certainly wouldn’t have let my kids do that. 
That said I do believe we were a lot smarter/savvy as kids back in those days. 

My first midweek game would have been 1968. Can't remember who against.

From 1968 till we got relegated I would be in the Main Stand with my Dad and Grandad.

When we landed in the Second Division, my dad allowed me to be let loose on the Love Street terracings without parental protection. I loved it and headed straight for the section populated with the famous St Mirren Choir. That bit became my home for many decades.

Wild and happy days.

1 minute ago, shull said:

First away game on Supporters Bus was with my Grandad as my Dad was working.

Great night and result.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1971&GameID=197109220

First away game on my own .

Junior Supporters Bus in 1972 at Recreation Park .

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1972&GameID=197211110

Stacks of memories travelling round the stadiums of Scotland in that era .