Jump to content

Paisley Pubs


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts


On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Slartibartfast said:

This photo, which I recognise now having seen it, shows of vertically but I still seem to remember it saying PCMS across the top, in white, where you can see "Ltd" in the picture.

https://m.facebook.com/TheOnlyWayIsPaisleysPast/photos/a.530151403677313.139736.530143157011471/1368394033186375/?type=3

That's not the signage I'm meaning, it was on the next corner up at Forbes Place/Causeyside St above the current coffee shop entrance. My memory was of three large neon letters within large circular neon fixtures that lit up one at a time then stayed on all together briefly before repeating the cycle. As mentioned already I think it said C.W.S which would apply to their foodstore where Farmfoods is, their supermarkets came under the auspices of the Co-operative Wholesale Society then. One of the many different facets and divisions of what is now known simply as 'The Co-op'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FS said:

That's not the signage I'm meaning, it was on the next corner up at Forbes Place/Causeyside St above the current coffee shop entrance. My memory was of three large neon letters within large circular neon fixtures that lit up one at a time then stayed on all together briefly before repeating the cycle. As mentioned already I think it said C.W.S which would apply to their foodstore where Farmfoods is, their supermarkets came under the auspices of the Co-operative Wholesale Society then. One of the many different facets and divisions of what is now known simply as 'The Co-op'.

Seems to me that this photo is of the Forbes Place/Causeyside Street corner!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HSS said:

An application is in to turn the old Bar Point into an Italian restaurant.

The Bar Point was a decent pub to drop into - and one of the few in town back then with a beer garden, if memory serves me right (I'm talking the best part of 30 years ago:o!).

We seldom had more than a couple in there before gravitating back to the Bull or Wee Howff, right enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2017 at 0:01 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

Sorry Buddie , the main reason the letters caught my attention was wanting to know what the letters stood for more than anything . A need to know basis. .

on the door of the building where I got my school uniform had the letters CWSS which I got told was Co-op warehouse Society Scotland . .

 

It felt a hit like the Co owned Scotland back then , certainly they seemed omni-present at least . .

The letters PCMS, on the corner at Dunn Square above what is now Countrywide estate agents, stood for Paisley Co-operative Manufacturing Society.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/07/2017 at 2:32 PM, RickMcD said:

 


Pretty sure it was P C M S. Paisley Cooperative Manufacturing Society.

 

2 hours ago, buddiecat said:

The letters PCMS, on the corner at Dunn Square above what is now Countrywide estate agents, stood for Paisley Co-operative Manufacturing Society.

 

 

I know , l know . .

Thought I better update you before bluto came along. .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

 

 

I know , l know . .

Thought I better update you before bluto came along. .

He's like sevco - a deid entity.  :)

Though he recently saw a pic of a CND march in the 60/70s which he almost linked to this thread so ye could all have a clear sighting of the signage

Edited by antrin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

He's like sevco - a deid entity.  :)

Though he recently saw a pic of a CND march in the 60/70s which he almost linked to this thread so ye could all have a clear sighting of the signage

You do realise that , we are now miles off topic with regard to all this stuff about the Co' . I'm just surprised that no one has started a thread about the Co op , Christ , there is something shull could do. .^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

You do realise that , we are now miles off topic with regard to all this stuff about the Co' . I'm just surprised that no one has started a thread about the Co op , Christ , there is something shull could do. .^_^

And one about Domus in the Piazza , and one about Gilt edged suits , and one about Yankee mags, etc etc.

God , theres enough material there to see him break the 100000 post mark !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

And one about Domus in the Piazza , and one about Gilt edged suits , and one about Yankee mags, etc etc.

God , theres enough material there to see him break the 100000 post mark !!

Don't forget Cowans Menswear, that was only mentioned briefly once by Sandman , loads of material there still . .

" which side do you dress to , sir? "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...