The Jim Goodwin Thread

If Jim Goodwin played like that every week and the rest of the boys were anything like their best, we would be challenging for second or third place in the league. Jim was immense. A pleasure to watch.

The squad is certainly good enough.

In today's Record there's a perfect example of why, as Saints fans, we need to all get behind Jim as there are plenty of others out there to put the boot in. I reckon Goodie had an immense game, showing great restraint and awareness of the scrutiny he's under. In their match report they give Goodie 6/10 saying

"Put himself about as usual BUT TROD A FINE LINE"!

I know they're not always known for their impartiality but seriously??

In today's Record there's a perfect example of why, as Saints fans, we need to all get behind Jim as there are plenty of others out there to put the boot in. I reckon Goodie had an immense game, showing great restraint and awareness of the scrutiny he's under. In their match report they give Goodie 6/10 saying

Despicable rag. Pay it no heed.

What I did notice was that the referee seemed more inclined to give fouls FOR Jim last night. I just wonder whether its because our manager openly criticised the treatment Jim gets or whether it's just that last night's ref is untypical of his brethren. I hope it's a turning point and Jim gets to do what Jim does best without unfair discrimination.

Just maybe the men in the middle have finally sussed out that Goodie gets treatment from the opposition but just picks himself up dusts himself down and gets on with the game.

An astonishing summary by The Record. Was the 'fine line' getting bloottered around and placing the pass that started the best move of the match.

Typical tabloids, lazy, complacent nonsense.

i object to the word simulation being used, why not call it what it is - CHEATING.

higginarse did it last night when he took a couple of steps forward after being challenged before being tripped by an invisible foot (not a challenge by jim i must add) and on the far touchline another pissle player made a theatrical dive when jim had cleanly won the ball - the fact the ref gave no foul was good,but i think he should have had a word with the diving git

On the flip side, comments from a Jags fan on P&B:

"As others have said, credit where credit is due for Goodwin. Probably saints best player and him getting straight up from the late challenge was indeed a class act. Would take him at thistle in a heartbeat"

Good to see!

An astonishing summary by The Record. Was the 'fine line' getting bloottered around and placing the pass that started the best move of the match.

Typical tabloids, lazy, complacent nonsense.

I don't know why you would be upset by that comment. to be honest.

Every player in the JG mould does exactly that IMO. And Jim does it well in most circumstances. Their intepretation of his performance however.......

bangin.gifbangin.gifbangin.gif

a lot of good posts here, Jim was my MOTM and I agree the ref did well in not falling for the thistle fans shouts. Jim showed how you play the game - if you are fouled and not hurt get up and get on with it - don't feign injury and don't try to get a fellow professional booked or sent off - hats off to you Sir Goody!

'Trod a fine line' eh were you at the game journalist????????????????

I thought Goodwin had a touch of class last night when he got done near the end. Straight to his feet and looked to wave the referee away to signal it wasn't as bad as it looked. Wouldn't have happened the other way around. Great to see him chasing balls down right till the end as well.

My thistle mate last night said he's exactly what they're missing. Somebody willing to do the dirty stuff for the team. He might do stupid things from time to time, but he's a player I'd rather have playing for us than against us.

I thought Goodwin had a touch of class last night when he got done near the end. Straight to his feet and looked to wave the referee away to signal it wasn't as bad as it looked. Wouldn't have happened the other way around. Great to see him chasing balls down right till the end as well.

My thistle mate last night said he's exactly what they're missing. Somebody willing to do the dirty stuff for the team. He might do stupid things from time to time, but he's a player I'd rather have playing for us than against us.

I LOVE him for this, I think he would have done it whether he had a red card appeal hanging over him or not but the fact he has I think is a twos up to all that think he is a thug!

Thought McLean was just about worth his man of the match award, he and Goodwin were our only 2 decent midfielders last night and McLean was at the heart of nearly every chance we had and he popped up all over the pitch. Wouldn't have complained had Goodwin got the award instead, won lots of headers and broke up a lot of Thistle moves, hardly misplaced a pass all night and along with McLean had our effectively 2 man midfield holding its own against Thistle's 5 midfileders.

I don't know why you would be upset by that comment. to be honest.

Every player in the JG mould does exactly that IMO. And Jim does it well in most circumstances. Their intepretation of his performance however.......

bangin.gifbangin.gifbangin.gif

I'm not in the slightest upset by JGs performance, my ire is raised by a journalist misrepresenting JGs performance.

I'll live, though :-)

Edited by Bloomsbury Bud

I just wonder how much longer JG can survive playing in Scotland. Referees are watching everything he does and expecting the worst. Other players are deliberately setting out to get him sent off. Next season could be an even bigger nightmare for him than this one has been.

Anybody else out there remember Roy Barry at Dunfermline? A hard but fair centre-half who got hounded out of the Scottish game because of a reputation he hardly deserved. Right now I'd say JG is in about the same position, or possibly worse, than RB was in when that happened to him.

Edited by BAWZ

Thought McLean was just about worth his man of the match award, he and Goodwin were our only 2 decent midfielders last night and McLean was at the heart of nearly every chance we had and he popped up all over the pitch. Wouldn't have complained had Goodwin got the award instead, won lots of headers and broke up a lot of Thistle moves, hardly misplaced a pass all night and along with McLean had our effectively 2 man midfield holding its own against Thistle's 5 midfileders.

I'll get shot for this but while Kenny did well I thought it was laughable that the MOTM award would go to

anyone other than Higinbotham.

I'll get shot for this but while Kenny did well I thought it was laughable that the MOTM award would go to

anyone other than Higinbotham.

Thistle never even gave it to him!

Saying that, if Thistle go down, I would take him and Doolan

Live very near Jim and been out on a few occasions with him, an absolute gent of a guy and can tell you a lot of the crap that goes from opposition players/managers etc really hurts him as it's just not something he would do himself as seen last night...

Thought he was excellent last night and I know that the support he received will mean a lot to him. He stays away from twitter/forums etc as it's just not his style so the crowd getting behind him last night will mean a lot to him.

Hope we win the appeal as think we need him in the run in, although I doubt the SFA will admit the ref got it wrong.

As for the daily ranger view from last night best ignored, can't believe they said he trod a fine line...he wasn't even close to it...

Just watched Scott Robertson of Hibs put in a far worse tackle than Goodwin and get a yellow for it.

He then made two potentially bookable tackles just after and wasn't even spoken to.

He's been subbed now.

The big blonde guy for Hibs actually had two bad tackles inside the first two minutes of the game, particularly the second one.

His lack of a booking, and the absence of any accompanying hysterics or pantomime was another instance to add to the ever growing list of 'if that had been Jim Goodwin...' moments.

It pissed me off that Higginbotham made their goal on Friday night; I'd already decided he was a prick for the way he carried on after Goodwin got cleaned out by 'Prince'.

Goodwin wins the header, 'Prince' goes through him in mid air. Goodwin gets up and places the ball for the kick, Higginbotham runs to get himself in the ref's face and tries to claim Goodwin led with the elbows. It really is a f**king disgrace.

As has been discussed, there were then plenty of other incidents in which their players over-reacted to something JG did, while he simply led by example.

I actually thought the ref had a good game on Friday and if that was in part been influenced by Danny Lennon finally supporting Goodwin publicly, then great.