Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

All our supposed targets are signing for smaller clubs. That can only mean that:

1/ We were never interested in the first place.

2/ We were offering very short-term deals with crap terms.

3/ We ain't making making any effort to identify or sign a striker.

I think it is safe to assume we were never interested in the first place. Just because some agitated eejits on here are so desperate for a signing that any name mentioned is an immediate target and has to be signed doesn't mean that the club has any interest in these players. This is not Football Manager or whatever that children of all ages play and think it real - the club do things properly and are trying to identify available players that will improve the squad. Then you have to deal with their agent and perhaps current club to try to make the deal. The presumption that the club is doing nothing is just laughable.

2/ We were offering very short-term deals with crap terms.

Whe you say "we" I presume you mean us, the contributors to the virtual west bank. Certainly the club has never identified any of these wasters as targets. If so, it is no wonder the terms were crap. A couple of pints in the Bull and a "free" taxi ride home from Shull, just isn't going to cut it, these days.

I think it is safe to assume we were never interested in the first place. Just because some agitated eejits on here are so desperate for a signing that any name mentioned is an immediate target and has to be signed doesn't mean that the club has any interest in these players. This is not Football Manager or whatever that children of all ages play and think it real - the club do things properly and are trying to identify available players that will improve the squad. Then you have to deal with their agent and perhaps current club to try to make the deal. The presumption that the club is doing nothing is just laughable.

I suggested it on here first as a player we might be looking at a few days ago, nobody ever said he was a target or started an actual rumour about him signing. The journo on Twitter is just clearing things up.

This is the 'Speculation Thread'.

Always liked him as a player when he was with us ... I'm not saying re-sign him, I'm simply stating that we could have used him this season had he still been here? He's no worse than Reilly or Brady!

The management team obviously disagree with you or he would still be with us. Just out of interest I checked his goal ratio which is very impressive 20 goals In 22 appearances with Dumbarton and 18 goals in 21 appearances with Hamilton

The management team obviously disagree with you or he would still be with us. Just out of interest I checked his goal ratio which is very impressive 20 goals In 22 appearances with Dumbarton and 18 goals in 21 appearances with Hamilton

Exactly, he's a goal scorer! Fair enough it's at a lower level but he wasn't really given a fair crack with us which I feel is a shame.

Erm, where did you get those figures?

Soccerbase gives McShane 13 in 25 starts + 4 sub appearances while with Dumbarton in Division 2 and 11 in 28 starts + 6 subs with Hamilton in Division 1 or as it's now called the Campionship. unsure.png

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=50113

He seemed to go on a couple of good runs when getting a regular game but only got 2 goals last season when he missed a lot of games. He didn't look dangerous when coming on as a sub for us and I doubt if we could have afforded to give him 6-8 starts in the SPL to see if that would work. It would be interesting to go back to the announcement of his transfer to Hamilton and recall some of the caterwauling, IIRC this was one of those decisions that was going to come back and haunt us.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Erm, where did you get those figures?

Soccerbase gives McShane 13 in 25 starts + 4 sub appearances while with Dumbarton in Division 2 and 11 in 28 starts + 6 subs with Hamilton in Division 1 or as it's now called the Campionship. Posted Image

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=50113

He seemed to go on a couple of good runs when getting a regular game but only got 2 goals last season when he missed a lot of games. He didn't look dangerous when coming on as a sub for us and I doubt if we could have afforded to give him 6-8 starts in the SPL to see if that would work. It would be interesting to go back to the announcement of his transfer to Hamilton and recall some of the caterwauling, IIRC this was one of those decisions that was going to come back and haunt us.

I did think it was highs s it's not the best source

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_McShane

Exactly, he's a goal scorer! Fair enough it's at a lower level but he wasn't really given a fair crack with us which I feel is a shame.

I'd agree that we should have kept him, I think Danny got too excited at the prospect of Imrie coming and thought it was a good deal. Hindsights a wonderful thing but no doubt there will be a few who 'told you so'.

Hes only got 9 with hamilton, wiki is wrong.

Nowt the matter with that, there are a few on here with plenty of opinions about our team and our manager who don't go to games. Darren is a bit like them, he has formed his opinion on what the press and others say. It all sounds a bit familiar.