Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

2 hours ago, mattman said:

Right the b&w army twitter accounts getting me awfy excited, possible signing today ? Someone gees the goss please 😂😂

Don't know what twitter account you were reading. 

Edited by elvis

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Allegedly Cammy Smith is free to leave Dundee Utd. 

I await the cries of 'bring him home' from the usual suspects, despite the fact that he is nowhere near good enough for the premier league. 

TBH the mess we're in Will Smith would be welcome. 

No so sure about Harrison Ford right enough. 

Image result for Will Smith in football top

Allegedly Cammy Smith is free to leave Dundee Utd. 

I await the cries of 'bring him home' from the usual suspects, despite the fact that he is nowhere near good enough for the premier league. 

Weren’t you one of the usual suspects having a meltdown last season when Stubbs wanted to let him go?....... [emoji1][emoji12]

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Weren’t you one of the usual suspects having a meltdown last season when Stubbs wanted to let him go?....... emoji1.pngemoji12.png

Well, meltdown is a bit strong, but yes.... but hear me out. 😉

I was and am happy for any player to move on as long as who comes in is of better standard. I've always said that, I also reiterated that with regards to Gary Mac, Eckersley etc last season. No issue with them moving on but guys replacing them have to be better. 

I didn't believe that we should have let Smith go at the point Stubbs decided he could be cut free as who was left and who was brought in as replacements such as Jeff King, looked far inferior and as if they weren't up to the task. I felt his consistency in the Championship merited at least a shot to prove himself at this level and ultimately, he failed to impress. 

Following that though, his time was clearly up in January, we had already replaced him with Adam Hammill and Simon Jackson who covered two positions better than Cammy could (although Hammill then moved on) so it was time for him to go. At that point there was still plenty of discontent but absolutely no angst, wailing or teeth gnashing from me in regards to the decision to move him on. 

5 minutes ago, elvis said:

I don't think he really got much of a chance last season. 

Anytime I seen him I thought he looked out his depth, bit like Stewart Kean did in the top league.

Hes a player who suits quick attacking play, something we just don’t offer at the mo.

Well, meltdown is a bit strong, but yes.... but hear me out. [emoji6]
I was and am happy for any player to move on as long as who comes in is of better standard. I've always said that, I also reiterated that with regards to Gary Mac, Eckersley etc last season. No issue with them moving on but guys replacing them have to be better. 
I didn't believe that we should have let Smith go at the point Stubbs decided he could be cut free as who was left and who was brought in as replacements such as Jeff King, looked far inferior and as if they weren't up to the task. I felt his consistency in the Championship merited at least a shot to prove himself at this level and ultimately, he failed to impress. 
Following that though, his time was clearly up in January, we had already replaced him with Adam Hammill and Simon Jackson who covered two positions better than Cammy could (although Hammill then moved on) so it was time for him to go. At that point there was still plenty of discontent but absolutely no angst, wailing or teeth gnashing from me in regards to the decision to move him on. 

To be fair to Stubbs though, he didn’t actually let him go. IIRC, he was trying to get Gregg Stewart in at the time he wanted to offload Smith.

But, like this season, actually getting in top quality proved to be quite difficult.....

Anytime I seen him I thought he looked out his depth, bit like Stewart Kean did in the top league.
Hes a player who suits quick attacking play, something we just don’t offer at the mo.
Agree, but maybe it's also about the ability of the manager to play people in their natural position and get the most out of players - some are more successful than orhers, and with some players more than others.

20 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
53 minutes ago, mattman said:

Agree, but maybe it's also about the ability of the manager to play people in their natural position and get the most out of players - some are more successful than orhers, and with some players more than others.

I think he only can work in an extremely mobile strike force, and benefitted from defenders being occupied with Morgan and the movement of Reilly.

That gave him so much space to create or find pockets, as he’s quite poor pace wise over 5-10 yards.

3 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Weren’t you one of the usual suspects having a meltdown last season when Stubbs wanted to let him go?....... emoji1.pngemoji12.png

On the very few occasions he played in the hole rather than wide, he looked ok. Out wide he was useless. I think the same thing happened at DU 

1 hour ago, mattman said:

You could say that about all our strikers, this year and last 

45 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

To be fair to Stubbs though, he didn’t actually let him go. IIRC, he was trying to get Gregg Stewart in at the time he wanted to offload Smith.

But, like this season, actually getting in top quality proved to be quite difficult.....

Thing is though, he apparently had Greg Stewart there to bring in and plumped for Brock-Madsen before him. :lol:

Had he actually brought Stewart in and THEN punted Smith, it would have been a lot more palatable than what was being attempted. 

Thing is though, he apparently had Greg Stewart there to bring in and plumped for Brock-Madsen before him. :lol:
Had he actually brought Stewart in and THEN punted Smith, it would have been a lot more palatable than what was being attempted. 

If that is true then it was obviously a disaster.

However, IIRC, we signed BM and I can can them remember an article where BM was urging Stewart to join him.

But he chose Kilmarnock instead.

I believe that Stewart simply chose Kilmarnock over us.

Like last season, it’s proving very difficult to get in decent players.

The real big miss for me was Stubbs not going on to sign Halkett from Livi and signing Heaton instead FFS.

5 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

However, IIRC, we signed BM and I can can them remember an article where BM was urging Stewart to join him.

The real big miss for me was Stubbs not going on to sign Halkett from Livi and signing Heaton instead FFS.

We could have given Halkett the 75k as a signing on fee and it would still have made a massive amount more sense. Big error, that one.

18 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

I do remember NBM saying that and we did want Greg Stewart right through the window but IIRC, we prioritised getting NBM ahead of Stewart and by time we made the move, bigger fish were already making the move. Easy with 20/20 hindsight but that was a massive misstep.

Halkett was a huge miss, could you imagine if we'd just spent that outlay for Heaton on Halkett instead and given him 3 years? We'd have been easily able to command high 6 figures for him by now. (EDIT: See Magic Monkey made this point just before me).

Christ, Tam O'Ware would have been better than Heaton and he missed the full season with cruciate ligament tears.

There were a few players in the early days of Stubbs that would have been a clear indicator of intent (Beltrame from Juventus - who went on to have a tremendous season in the Dutch league, Adam Rooney) and he built a rod for his own back with the 'marquee' talk.

I do agree that it's proving difficult but as other clubs now finalise squads, hopefully we'll see a bit of movement in the coming week. Again, I'm happy enough to see us wait for quality - provided it IS quality. I don't think anyone at the club is yet panicking - if they were, you get the feeling at least 2 or 3 guys like Longridge and other championship level journeymen would have been on board by now.

Edited by djchapsticks

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think anyone at the club is yet panicking - if they were, you get the feeling at least 2 or 3 guys like Longridge and other championship level journeymen would have been on board by now.

That's an excellent point and in amongst the unbelievable nonsense involving a director moronically offering to fight an equally moronic fan, it's keeping me sane right now. :D