Jump to content

Speculation Thread


jimdickloyal

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, magnus said:

No misrepresentation at all unless you are you seriously suggesting that Lafferty's representatives weren't really representing Lafferty when they asked for his money to be quadrupled? So kinda just making shit up behind the dude's back?  That's some take on the Killie statement. Anyway pointless dragging this on. You like him. I get it.

Aye, I like strikers that score goals, me bad. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Apparently Main is happening.

That's a f**king dreadful signing if true. And none of this 'Oh don't write him off before we've seen him in a Saints shirt' shite.

He's played for two of the top 4 clubs in Scotland at the time in Motherwell and Aberdeen and couldn't hit a coo in the arse with a banjo at either. I've seen enough of him to reach the conclusion that he's pish. 

What are we even doing sniffing about this level of player?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Apparently Main is happening.

That's a f**king dreadful signing if true. And none of this 'Oh don't write him off before we've seen him in a Saints shirt' shite.

He's played for two of the top 4 clubs in Scotland at the time in Motherwell and Aberdeen and couldn't hit a coo in the arse with a banjo at either. I've seen enough of him to reach the conclusion that he's pish. 

What are we even doing sniffing about this level of player?!

I've waited for a suitable occasion to use this.

 

Fucking Fuck me.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Apparently Main is happening.

That's a f**king dreadful signing if true. And none of this 'Oh don't write him off before we've seen him in a Saints shirt' shite.

He's played for two of the top 4 clubs in Scotland at the time in Motherwell and Aberdeen and couldn't hit a coo in the arse with a banjo at either. I've seen enough of him to reach the conclusion that he's pish. 

What are we even doing sniffing about this level of player?!

Great just what we need another striker who can't score goals. Dennis is the only player we have who knows where the net is and he is injured most of the time. Seriously underwhelmed if this happens

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Apparently Main is happening.

That's a f**king dreadful signing if true. And none of this 'Oh don't write him off before we've seen him in a Saints shirt' shite.

He's played for two of the top 4 clubs in Scotland at the time in Motherwell and Aberdeen and couldn't hit a coo in the arse with a banjo at either. I've seen enough of him to reach the conclusion that he's pish. 

What are we even doing sniffing about this level of player?!

This is our budget level when it comes to strikers, players who potentially could be decent. Unfortunately we are not a club that is able to pay for proven goal scorers at this level ( ie Mr Lafferty and his huge salary demands) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

This is our budget level when it comes to strikers, players who potentially could be decent. Unfortunately we are not a club that is able to pay for proven goal scorers at this level ( ie Mr Lafferty and his huge salary demands) 

I'm unsure how you know what, exactly, our budget is? :blink:

There's plenty of players with potential that could, probably, be in our budget, being a potential top six team.

It seems Main isn't potentially a goal scorer, so why, if we are, are we chasing him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be surprised if we signed main, especially when the club has been doing not too bad recently of keeping any potential signings quiet until they’ve signed. Would be massively underwhelming if true though.

 

FWIW I’d take lafferty all day long 

Edited by mattman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm unsure how you know what, exactly, our budget is? :blink:

There's plenty of players with potential that could, probably, be in our budget, being a potential top six team.

It seems Main isn't potentially a goal scorer, so why, if we are, are we chasing him?

Obika or Main ? No contest for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MotherwellSaint said:

Obika is much better striker than Curtis main absolute shocking if true have enough strikers who can't score

Main has a much worse career strike rate than both Obika and Erwin ! I'm thinking that Tait must have had a bit of input here having played with Dunne and Main !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm unsure how you know what, exactly, our budget is? :blink:

There's plenty of players with potential that could, probably, be in our budget, being a potential top six team.

It seems Main isn't potentially a goal scorer, so why, if we are, are we chasing him?

I never said I know “exactly” what our budget is. I can however have a ball park guess of how much we are likely to spend on a striker by looking at our league finish and past history of spending on players. Given Curtis Main has the potential to be a goal scorer I think that’s why we may sign him.

You never know, with some players it just clicks, maybe it will happen with the Saints. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I never said I know “exactly” what our budget is. I can however have a ball park guess of how much we are likely to spend on a striker by looking at our league finish and past history of spending on players. Given Curtis Main has the potential to be a goal scorer I think that’s why we may sign him.

You never know, with some players it just clicks, maybe it will happen with the Saints. 

How man y times have you seen him to spot this potential? 

At this stage the jury isn't out, it's pishing itself at the possibility we sign him.

Can you actually see the amount of posts on Main? :lol:

Aye, maybe, time will tell.

TBH we haven't even signed him yet. 

 

Edited by faraway saint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well fans on P&B agree Main is not a goalscorer however he has been described as a 'wrecking ball' and given praise for closing down and being a nuisance and holding the ball up. Certainy Jim has been critical of our strikers for not working hard enough so maybe this is just another piece to the jigsaw.

Not overwhelmed but maybe he can take the weight off Brophy/Dennis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sonny said:

Well fans on P&B agree Main is not a goalscorer however he has been described as a 'wrecking ball' and given praise for closing down and being a nuisance and holding the ball up. Certainy Jim has been critical of our strikers for not working hard enough so maybe this is just another piece to the jigsaw.

Not overwhelmed but maybe he can take the weight off Brophy/Dennis.

It does look like a jigsaw piece. Jim seems to like having a "wrecking ball" type forward that works really hard, closes down well, can create chances and can score a few goals - the scoring goals bit has obviously been elusive so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, magnus said:

It does look like a jigsaw piece. Jim seems to like having a "wrecking ball" type forward that works really hard, closes down well, can create chances and can score a few goals - the scoring goals bit has obviously been elusive so far.

Generally Well fans thought Main did a good job keeping a defence occupied giving their flair players space to strut their stuff. I am sure Jim is after more than just Main as he has let 4 strikers leave.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Main is fine as backup. Don’t understand the outcry over the signing. Was excellent at Motherwell as a target man - I think their fans are quite salty as he left them to join Aberdeen, where he was consistently deployed in a role that doesn’t suit his style of play. He scored twice at Hampden against Motherwell in the Scottish Cup semi a couple of years ago, if only we had that threat v Livingston/St Johnstone this year. I think he will be good in the role that JG is trying to shoehorn Erwin into. That said, his goal scoring record is poor but if he can bring Brophy/Dennis alive in the last half hour of games I’ll be happy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had time to take thought on this one since hearing about it yesterday. 

I wasn't exactly excited by this potential signing, though if we want the best out of our two likely goalscorers, Brophy and Dennis, a wrecking ball figure working up front with them either creating knock ons or pulling the opposition out of play, could be a very good foil to give them the freedom to do their thing. Not every forward is prolific in front of goal, though their link up can create the chances for others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every signing needs to be seen in the context of who else we bring in and move on.  Logic dictates that those players in greater demand will take longer to reach an outcome in negotiations.  I'll wait on the squad being finalised before worrying about particular signings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A simIlar guy who worked his socks off yet didn’t score many goals whilst making space for other goal scorers,  would be the double-goal-scoring hero - Steven Thomson.

I liked him.

Edited by antrin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, antrin said:

A simIlar guy who worked his socks off yet didn’t score many goals whilst making space for other goal scorers,  would be the double-goal-scoring hero - Steven Thomson.

I liked him.

Eh? :blink:

His first three, injury free, seasons he banged in 16 goals EVERY season. 

Last two season, well, best forgotten for lots of reasons.

One things for sure, he WASN'T known for his assists. 

image.png.d82f166c0ec8d021ebd22f382ec0355a.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...