Queen Of The South V St Mirren League Cup Round 2

shull

If he is a decent person and he might be then he should do the decent thing and resign for the sake of the club, Cup run apart last season he league record is horrific, We have not won a home game since Jan in the league, Its alright being a good guy but football is a result driven business and DL cant cut it,

Actually our last league win at home was the 27th of February. Not that it is too much better.

Actually our last league win at home was the 27th of February. Not that it is too much better.

I think you are quite right to point out falisies like that Bud.

Some folk just love to spout negativity... and misleading stats to back it up.

"Say something long enough and people will accept it as true" type thing...

another poor performance ,although we created a few chances ,unfortunately if you don't take them you pay the price,so if you don't sign a striker until 7-8 weeks after you let all the other strikers leave kind of smacks you in the face,danny gets what he deserves as he makes the calls,so if we are not winning against championship teams(although remember they were promoted so really a league 1 side)danny has to face the wrath ,the problem about last night for me was the fact we were outplayed ,outpassed outfought out everything else,for the 2nd time in 6 weeks against this team ,I know the 1st game was a friendly but it is blatently obvious danny took nothing from the 1st game into last nights hence the same result DEFEAT

If he is a decent person and he might be then he should do the decent thing and resign for the sake of the club, Cup run apart last season he league record is horrific, We have not won a home game since Jan in the league, Its alright being a good guy but football is a result driven business and DL cant cut it,

I can't bring myself to respond to this, to be brutally honest.

Beyond to say that you've completely missed the point.

Edited by Drew

I can't bring myself to respond to this, to be brutally honest.

Beyond to say that you've completely missed the point.

Your post summed up my feelings and most fans feelings. It's a shame to see him failing and sad to see others gloat. No matter what happens he will be remembered foundly for what he one at our club. I have nothing but respect and kind thoughts for him.

As you said, it's such a shame.

Indeed. Since 27th February we've only played another 5 home league games, drawing at home with Dundee Utd, Celtic, Aberdeen and Killie and losing to Dundee after going down to 10 men.

That is not too much better either, but it is not like 10 losses in a row or some such.

Poor show, nice guys deserve jobs and they deserve a decent chance to fix things when times are hard. Especially when they are cup-winning managers who have made watching football enjoyable again for saints fans.

The only suggestion I would make is that DL needs to be ruthless with the players who dont throw their lot in with him. he is in charge and some players need to be reminded of that, I think.

your point has been repeatedly made and I'm sure that everyone who shares your opinion has had their views noted by those who make the decisions. The thing is, the board don't remotely look as if they intend to sack danny at the present, so what's the point of grinding on about it. Let's just move on and support the team instead of jumping up and down like spoiled weans until you get what you want. If the board decide to sack danny then they will do it in their own sweet time, the constant haranguing is pointless and damaging.

Poor show, nice guys deserve jobs and they deserve a decent chance to fix things when times are hard. Especially when they are cup-winning managers who have made watching football enjoyable again for saints fans.

The only suggestion I would make is that DL needs to be ruthless with the players who dont throw their lot in with him. he is in charge and some players need to be reminded of that, I think.

your point has been repeatedly made and I'm sure that everyone who shares your opinion has had their views noted by those who make the decisions. The thing is, the board don't remotely look as if they intend to sack danny at the present, so what's the point of grinding on about it. Let's just move on and support the team instead of jumping up and down like spoiled weans until you get what you want. If the board decide to sack danny then they will do it in their own sweet time, the constant haranguing is pointless and damaging.

Well say hello to the championship next season then.

The squad. Every single player should be taking a long hard look at themselves.

They owe Danny Lennon a performance on Saturday, they owe themselves a performance on Saturday, they owe us a performance on Saturday.

It's all one talking about lack of strength in depth, the XI we put out on that pitch is certainly good enough to be winning matches at SPL level. It's high time every single one of them stood up and was counted. Someone like Gary Teale hasn't allowed his level of performance to drop and is about the only player I can honestly say is exempt from criticism this season, it seems like those around him are all happy enough to shamble from one game to the next.

I won't single out names, but I can think of at least 4 or 5 players who have been playing every week who are simply not pulling anything like the weight that their reputation has given them. It's time for them to shape the f**k up.

Danny isn't blameless, of course, but his players are letting him and the club down badly at this moment in time.

It's now f**king high time to get Lee Mair back in as well, the Goodwin at centre half experiment has gone on for far longer than it should have, and it doesn't work. It never really has to be honest, I'd wager we've conceeded far more with Jim in defence than with him in midfield. I think the problem is now, that there isn't a place for Jim in midfield, Conor Newton has taken up his position and has become as good as, if not better than him at it.

http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/st-mirren/237653-st-mirren-squad-left-fuming-at-league-cup-defeat-reveals-conor-newton/

Just back from the game and feeling gutted, we had more than enough chances to win the game in the 2nd half but we blew it. Gowser's penalty miss proved to be crucial, and why did we switch off after Thompson scored. We seemed to be all over Queens and on the ascendancy, but once again we gave away two shockingly poor goals.

Some people on the bus home seem to think that defeat on Sat will see Danny gone, but it will cost us to pay up his contract and whoever get's the gig will have no cash for players.

Talk of protests against Danny on twitter now, they better be careful what they wish for.

Did you cycle back last night ?

Could be wrong but is this not the first time since Danny arrived that we have been knocked out of the cup before the quarters? Very good record if so

Cup games if we have a good run are a bonus, The league is our bread and butter, Relegation means a lot of people lose their jobs. and if you think we have no budget now it will worse in the championship,

Edited by santaponsasaint

Some poor decisions from more than a few players last night and some from the bench also, i'm willing to bet that danny would love to have some cash to get players in but that does not look like happening, i don't know what the bank balance is but i imagine it will not be a huge amount, any cash in the bank will be allocated to pay wages and the upkeep of the ground etc, as there is more or less a full season to go.

We need loan players or free agents obviously and unless we lose a player or two from the current squad there will be no money to pay new players.

Our board are business people and will look at the full seasons expenditure and do what they can to keep cash in the bank to see out the season.

We needed a cup run to get in extra cash,there is still one cup to play for, i do believe we have the talent to win games but at the same time disagree with decisions our talented players and management team have made - poor decisions have lost us the chance of revenue from a further league cup game and i fear this means we will have no cash to bring in the back up striker we need for thommo to knock them down to.

The biggest error made has been in pre season by not bringing in the striker needed to pair up with thommo.

So what we need now is for the central defence to get their act together and the only way i see that coming about is for lee mair to be sat on the bench waiting to step in and take their place, and gowser and harkins to swap places (maybe even continually swapping throughout each game) and for the others to get some shooting practice in FFS last night some of them failed to hit a thing thats the width and height of my living room - with an object thats the size of a small sofa cushion.

It's backs to the wall for us all on saturday, the team need encouragement from us all and some better judgement from the management.

None of us on here want to be negative so let's try a bit more positivity, come on fellow saints (fans and squad) lets get back on track.

Edited by buddiecat

Now that I've calmed down a bit maybe it's time for Danny to stop being mr nice guy and show some passion. He clearly cares about the club and the supporters. It's a worry to think that he is running out of chances. We appear to far too nice as a club, where other teams like to come and have a good kick about and leave with three points. It's time to win at all costs. We know Danny has a great footballing philosophy but it's not getting results, so it's not working.

Could be wrong but is this not the first time since Danny arrived that we have been knocked out of the cup before the quarters? Very good record if so

We were put out in the second round of the league cup against Ross County at Dingwall in 2010, which was Danny's first cup game in charge. Since then we have made at least the quarters of every cup competition up until last night, which is a very good return in the cups for Lennon (think we might have won 1 as well!)

I actually feel gutted for Danny.

He's a decent human being, and whether he has run out of ideas/simply isn't up to the job, or hasn't received the backing of the BoD and/or some players, I don't think he deserves our scorn and contempt.

One of the abiding memories I will have of Danny is when he simply turned and looked at the crowd at Hampden when Newton scored the 3rd goal in the final. I genuinely believe that he was at least as happy to have delivered that win for us as for himself. There is a warmth and regard there that few managers we've had in recent memory have felt towards the supporters - probably since Tony Fitz. And all that despite not having a long-term affinity with the club.

I feel utterly deflated tonight, but I'm not blaming Danny Lennon. Of course he has to take his share of responsibility, but so do others, some of whom seem untouchable at times.

Whatever happens, I'll always hold the guy in high regard for delivering the best day of my Saints supporting life. He'll always be a hero for that.

Its a bloody shame.

An excellent post Drew, one of the best I've ever read on here.

When Danny released 10 or 11 players at the end of last season, he must have known who he wanted to bring in. It hasn't happened for whatever reason and, in fairness, that's not how he's operated in the previous 3 close seasons where he's done most of his business early on.

We're 4 games into the season, we still don't have a balanced squad with any great options and we've got 3 bad away defeats and one home draw against 10 men to show for it. The gamble hasn't worked, that's why he's in the position he is now and he'll be hurting & maybe regretting certain things he's done. I hope all the players are feeling the same about their own attitudes & perfromances...

The Board will do what they do and they've been in the game long enough to understand the situation. But I don't think booing him, abusing him or calling for him to be sacked demonstrates much class from us as a support. If he does leave then it should be with regret and thanks for his achievements, and for the genuinely felt love and respect that he's shown for our club and supporters throughout his time with us.