Fao The Board - Lennon Must Go Threads - Merged

I agree with this. I have been saying all window that the BoD or the manager needs to come out and clarify the budget situation. When a managers budget has been cut normally the manager and/or board will be saying it in all media outlets available. How often do you hear managers of other sides saying ' we are working with a much reduced budget this year ' or similar. All the time. Danny has never said that, and if he had been i believe he would have. It would have provided a decent excuse for our recent performances in his post match interviews:

' I understand the fans frustration, but i hope they understand that my playing budget has been cut by 'x' this year and it's making things very difficult '

Fair enough. The fact that he hasn't said this makes me think his budget hasn't been cut at all. Noises coming out the camp would also seem to suggest this is the case.

The budget is the exact same as last season. DL got a few extra players in January because we had the guaranteed income from the Semi.

The budget is the exact same as last season. DL got a few extra players in January because we had the guaranteed income from the Semi.

Tam, did you get this directly from SG, I seem to remember he was going to have a telephone conversation with you?

TBF , there are several more candidates for the job than when Gus was removed. Hartley , Murray , Cameron and Reid , off the top of my head !

Back to square one again.

Alot of fans didnt like the fact that Lennon got the job in the first place as he was a 'rookie'. How long would it take for a new manager to win over the fans if we brought someone in with similar experience?

I thought as much, the problem is not the budget, the problem is Danny's use of the budget. He will have spent a fair whack sacking players he signed ( Imrie and Guy ) and that's left us short on the playing side.

The position we are in now is almost entirely Danny's fault, and this is why his jobs on the line at the moment.

Alot of fans didnt like the fact that Lennon got the job in the first place as he was a 'rookie'. How long would it take for a new manager to win over the fans if we brought someone in with similar experience?

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with a rookie manager. Tom Hendrie was a rookie, Alex Ferguson was a rookie, Gus McPherson was a rookie, Danny Lennon was a rookie. All enjoyed relatively successful periods at the club.

If we go for the experienced option ( Houston, Levein, Shiels ) we may save money in compensation, but it will cost us more in wages. If we go for the inexperienced option ( Hartley, Cameron, Murray ) we will save money in wages, but it will cost us compensation.

The BoD has a choice which avenue they'd rather go down. The reason i'm talking presumptively is i believe even if Danny survives today, he will be gone by the end of September, and our options then will be the same as they are now.

I thought as much, the problem is not the budget, the problem is Danny's use of the budget. He will have spent a fair whack sacking players he signed ( Imrie and Guy ) and that's left us short on the playing side.

The position we are in now is almost entirely Danny's fault, and this is why his jobs on the line at the moment.

This is absolutely spot on. The size of the budget (although it can surely not be any smaller than last year's) is a red herring. Lennon decided to pay off our two left sided players without bringing in any replacements, he chose to get rid of two strikers and lost another who he has replaced with one young loanee and he chose to sign three centre midfielders. Thistle will absolutely not have a larger budget than us but managed to have nearly two-thirds of the possession on Saturday and deservedly won. Ross County, ICT and Hearts this season can't have massively bigger budgets than us.

Drew, in all honesty, I don't know, but as others have said, just because an obvious replacement isn't waiting in the wings doesn't mean we need to put up with the current shambles.

I've been trying to think whether we have an opportunity to have someone promoted from within on an interim basis until say xmas (or the end of the season) to try and steady the ship and then take stock of things next summer (and see who may be available). Problem is, Tommy Craig is the only option unless we try an experienced player manager situation (or duo) which would, I think, have an adverse effect on their on the pitch performances and would be very very risky.

From what everyone says, Tommy Craig is very accomplished as a coach and well respected by the players - could he do the job (to let his ideas come to the fore, not Danny's)? He's been 1st team coach at Newcastle and Assistant Manager at 3 big clubs - Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs so has good experience. But then, if Danny is sacked will he be binned too as he is part of the management team? If not, will he walk anyway as a sign of loyalty to Danny? Is our current failure as much down to him, as Danny, in which case he shouldn't be retained as we would still have the same problems?

I really don't know, but the decision isn't down to me (thankfully) - its down to the BOD who are "football men" and hopefully have some good ideas if they do decide to sack Danny.

Aye, I don't envy the BoD their position at the moment.

Just like signing players, appointing a new manager has a strong element of the gamble about it.

For me, one thing is absolutely key, though. If Danny goes, he must be replaced with a manager who will almost immediately command respect from the squad. Quite who this could be is anyone's guess, but I'm tending to err on the side of an experienced manager as opposed to the Camerons and Hartleys of this world. In saying that, I dread the idea of Calderwood or Jeffries in the dug-out. Billy Reid, FFS! Surely someone is at the wind-up even putting that name out there - I'd rather we brought Gus back.

So, in conclusion, it seems to me that Davie Hay is the man for the job!Flush.gif

Very rarely would a BoD have a replacement lined up BEFORE binning a manager - that just won't happen. If DL is removed from post then we would invite applications and as usual there will be plenty including several that will no doubt raise eyebrows one way or another. It's one thing making a managerial appointment towards the end of a season when you are guaranteed safety or over a close season but it's a whole different ball game mid season when you are at the wrong end of the table with the transfer window closed. If DL is binned I honestly cannot see the BoD taking a chance on another relatively inexperienced manager. I'm pretty sure it would be someone with experience but until DL is no longer manager and until there is a vacancy advertised speculating who it might be is meaningless.

Very rarely would a BoD have a replacement lined up BEFORE binning a manager - that just won't happen. If DL is removed from post then we would invite applications and as usual there will be plenty including several that will no doubt raise eyebrows one way or another. It's one thing making a managerial appointment towards the end of a season when you are guaranteed safety or over a close season but it's a whole different ball game mid season when you are at the wrong end of the table with the transfer window closed. If DL is binned I honestly cannot see the BoD taking a chance on another relatively inexperienced manager. I'm pretty sure it would be someone with experience but until DL is no longer manager and until there is a vacancy advertised speculating who it might be is meaningless.

there is a precedence, though not at St Mirren, but the green vermin did with Davie Hay

Couple of months? How do you work that out?

He's on a 12 month rolling contract isn't he?

If so this would require an entire years compensation.

Don't think so, although I may be wrong. He signed a 2 year contract in 2010 and a further 2 year extension when he was in his last year of that initial contract.

MacPherson was on a rolling contract which meant the board had to pay a years wages when he was sacked, and I think they wanted to avoid that scenario again.

Couple of months? How do you work that out?

He's on a 12 month rolling contract isn't he?

If so this would require an entire years compensation.

Didn't realise he was on that TBH .Just checked contracted until June 2014 .But he is definitely not on a rolling contract .

So how did you work it out ?

Edited by linwood buddie

I believe Danny , like it or not , will get a stay of execution , probably until the end of October to turn it round. We will bring in a central defender soon too !

We cant afford to wait until October, we could be too far behind the rest of the pack at that point. Change of direction is needed now, we need to freshen things up.

Graeme McPherson from the BBC has tweeted that Danny is staying and the board of directors have decide to help him through this difficult time.

Just as I expected. We are NOT a sacking club and our directors are not numpties.

Another thread can now be closed and we can get back to supporting the team.

but what the hell are they going to do to help him

Not sacking him after just 4 fecking games is a decent start.

The board have clearly realised EVERYONE is in this together.

It's only when everyone pulls together to help and it's STILL failing then you can think about parting ways.

We're obviously not at that point yet and I'm glad the board have more sense than the ordinary fan.

We also need to do our bit by not undermining him.

When Saints turn the corner we surely all want to say that we were part of it, that we closed together and didn't isolate one of our club legends, that we supported a club employee whilst he was still at the club and that we didn't do the usual OF thing and wilfully hurt one of our own?

Surely losing our manager and knowing we backed him all the way is the honourable course for us?

Isn't that what community clubs are about?

I'm proud of our board tonight.

Edited by oaksoft

What do you expect? Hi my names Keith, I'm 6'2" tall, married with two kids. I work as an electrician and have supported St Mirren since my grandfather introduced me to the club when I was 7 years old. FFS...and you think I need to get a grip coz I don't follow your prescribed terms for joining the forum and adding a post. Tell me, is it simply the case that if somebody says something that you disagree with that you seek to discredit the post with your stupid nonsense. Jog on bawbags!

First of all, I totally understand why many fans are disenchanted at the moment, but don't personally think the time is right for making a change. We'd be asking a new Manager to come in and work with the same squad Danny put together.

Secondly, my main concern with your post was that it could have been made in any of the many threads already existing which extol the idea of sacking Danny now. Hence, a new thread on a topic already commontly under debate smacked of either someone trolling, or someone creating an alias to furhter promote a point of view.

Thirdly, if I'd know you were 6' 2" I'd have kept my trap shut. I'm an inveterate coward.