Your Favourite Last Minute Saints Goal?

Jimmy H

Saturday morning and bored at work, thought I would lighten the mood as lots of doom and gloom on the forum at the moment.

To answer my own topic question, I have 4 that spring to mind.

2 from the 99/00 season, Junior away tae Raith, 1-0 down with 90 minutes played big Yards equalises, we are delighted with the draw but JM pops up with a winner.

Same season Paul McKnights last minute winner away to Ayr, the goal which effectively sealed our promotion. Those 2 goals epitomised that glorious season.

Alex Beckett last minute screamer at the piggery [1980 or 81 I think] to beat them 2-1, bizarrely we sacked Jim Clunie after that match.

But my fav last minute goal was away to Bolton in the Anglo Scottish Cup 79/80 the year we won it, tied at 4-4 on aggregate [4-2 to us at Love Street, 2-0 to them at there's] we thought we were out on away goals but unlike Europe away goals counted after extra time, Jimmy Bone pops up with a header from a Lexi cross in the 120th minute to put us through. Mayhem ensued with the large travelling saints support, the poor wee Bolton souls coudny take it and bombarded us with bricks [it was 1980 after all and the norm back then] we didn't care, that trip to Bolton was also the first I was served a pint in a pub LOL..

Any other last minute goals spring to mind buddies?

Edited by Jimmy H

Tommo at Ibrox in the 1-1 draw when Saints outplayed Rankgers in their own backyard. We played great football that day and the goal was a belter. Form one end of the park to the other, big Sammy and Gowser spreading play with the outside of the boot, Vanzy cross, Tommo goal. Nearly jump over the segregation barrier in the Gers end to give it Giruy to the ****.

Big yards also scored a late winner at Livvy in the title run in during millennium season in front of a huge Saints support:-D

Saturday morning and bored at work, thought I would lighten the mood as lots of doom and gloom on the forum at the moment.

To answer my own topic question, I have 4 that spring to mind.

2 from the 99/00 season, Junior away tae Raith, 1-0 down with 90 minutes played big Yards equalises, we are delighted with the draw but JM pops up with a winner.

Same season Paul McKnights last minute winner away to Ayr, the goal which effectively sealed our promotion. Those 2 goals epitomised that glorious season.

Alex Beckett last minute screamer at the piggery [1980 or 81 I think] to beat them 2-1, bizarrely we sacked Jim Clunie after that match.

But my fav last minute goal was away to Bolton in the Anglo Scottish Cup 79/80 the year we won it, tied at 4-4 on aggregate [4-2 to us at Love Street, 2-0 to them at there's] we thought we were out on away goals but unlike Europe away goals counted after extra time, Jimmy Bone pops up with a header from a Lexi cross in the 120th minute to put us through. Mayhem ensued with the large travelling saints support, the poor wee Bolton souls coudny take it and bombarded us with bricks [it was 1980 after all and the norm back then] we didn't care, that trip to Bolton was also the first I was served a pint in a pub LOL..

Any other last minute goals spring to mind buddies?

Brilliant post and thread, agree with everything.

Fantastic memories.

They were all very special last minute goals.

Bone at Bolton was awesome clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I'd go for season 69/70and two last minute goals , both equalisers, in the space of 4 days in two 3-3 draws. We had been awful all season were in need of a spark and again we were staring relegation in the face . We were 3-0 down at home to Raith at half-time, most folk left but we came back out a different team and Jim Blair scored the equaliser in injury time , 4 days later we were 3-2 down to Hibs in injury time and George Cumming scrambled in the equaliser after Bobby Pinkerton's shot was blocked. These two games proved to be the change in fortunes that we needed and we stayed up with a couple of victories over the Dundee clubs in the run in !

Not long ago billy Mehmet got a last minute winner at Falkirk. Only goal of the game. Huge celebrations.

I was led astray in celebrating later that evening by NSS, as I'd only wanted maybe a pint. Or two, at most. Maybe three - no more, than that.

I had hoped, next morning, to perhaps be among the fastest v60s in the Paisley 10k. I shuffled round in 59 minutes (which was ok, considering....) and was 6th fastest v60. Too many coffin dodgers ahead of me.... :(

My pot-hunting career ended that day.

But it WAS a great winning goal! :)

Tommy Turners backward header against Raith Rovers at Love St again promotion year under Hendrie's guidence, Remember starting to walk along to the top of the hill to get out early. Freekick to Saints and the rest as they say is history

We had several last minute winners that season, the team spirit was incredible. All historic ones that immediately sprang to my mind have been mentioned.

One last year that i particularly enjoyed was Reilly's at Fir Park. We had played superbly and had been kicked off the park, but were trailing 1-0. Reilly had just been assaulted by Hutchison and was carrying an injury that would keep him out for the rest of the season. He sprang up in the last minute to equalise, cue epic celebrations in the St Mirren end of the Motherwell hospitality suite thumbup2.gif

Another one from last season was the 5-4 win at home to County. 4-2 up and apparently cruising with 10 minutes to go, then County score twice in 2 minutes to make it 4-4. Cue the Thommohawks 89th minute over head kick to keep the points in Paisley, superb thumbup2.gif

I was going for the Adam goal, too.

I also recall LS going a bit mental when Will Haining scored late in a match. I can't for the life of me remember why it might have mattered a great deal, but it sticks in my mind.

I have a crap memory, so despite supporting Saints for around 25 years, I have poor recall of specific incidents.

Worth mentioning is Mulgrew's goal in the semi-final in January . It was a favourite because, by then, we knew it didn't matter a fcuk, and we were already celebrating. A consolation goal for Celtic in a cup match against Saints at the national stadium. Doesn't get much better than that!

Edited by Drew

Brilliant post and thread, agree with everything.

Fantastic memories.

They were all very special last minute goals.

Bone at Bolton was awesome clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Shull,

I will never forget the Bolton game for another reason, as I said in my original post it was also the first time I had been served a pint in a pub.

I had just turned 15 and I uttered a sentence to the barman which still haunts me to this day, after being egged on by my older brother and his mates to go for it, I said to the barman "Pint of heavy please mister"

Taking away from the fact we were in Engerland and he never knew wot "heavy" was, calling him mister at the end was a sort of underage giveaway methinks.

I don't travel home for many saints games these days but I'm always reminded of those immortal words evrey time I do. bugger

Shull,I will never forget the Bolton game for another reason, as I said in my original post it was also the first time I had been served a pint in a pub.I had just turned 15 and I uttered a sentence to the barman which still haunts me to this day, after being egged on by my older brother and his mates to go for it, I said to the barman "Pint of heavy please mister"Taking away from the fact we were in Engerland and he never knew wot "heavy" was, calling him mister at the end was a sort of underage giveaway methinks.I don't travel home for many saints games these days but I'm always reminded of those immortal words evrey time I do. bugger

I too was at Bolton that famous tuesday night with my brother and a good friend, what a goal and what a night, probably the most frightening after match experience ever. But worth it :)

Doug Somner's late winner at Ibrox

Jan 5th 1980

Not sure that was technically a last minute goal but well worth a mention. I went particularly mental at that goal mainly because Rangers had just equalised a Frank MacDougal opener for us through a dodgy penalty because of that wee diving bass John MacDonald.

If I remember right we were in the enclosure at Ibrox that day because the broomloan road end was being developed at the time.

I was going for the Adam goal, too.

I also recall LS going a bit mental when Will Haining scored late in a match. I can't for the life of me remember why it might have mattered a great deal, but it sticks in my mind.

I have a crap memory, so despite supporting Saints for around 25 years, I have poor recall of specific incidents.

Worth mentioning is Mulgrew's goal in the semi-final in January . It was a favourite because, by then, we knew it didn't matter a fcuk, and we were already celebrating. A consolation goal for Celtic in a cup match against Saints at the national stadium. Doesn't get much better than that!

Speak for yourself!! I shat it when that goal went in haha, thank god the ref blew the whistle

Big Yards last goal for the club at Crappielow. Two down in a league cup tie back to 2v2 then et. Late on the big man goes on his first and last mazy dribble beating 2 or 3 defenders before planting it in front of our fans. Fitting end to a legendary Saints career. Also remember a David Elliot winner late on at Rugby Park early 90s I think and I mind Hamish Mc Alpine fouling McGarvey in a bizarre late incident that saw a late pen winner V Utd and a late John Hewit winner v Stirling played at Stenhousemuir on a rain sodden pitch that sparked a pitch invasion