St Mirren V Butcher's Hibernian Top League Nov. 2013

shull

The best replacement IMO is Newton, who has the drive, energy and commitment required to slip into that role... he's doing a similar one wider on the park when not ghosting into the box to score... see... uncanny.

Caprice or DVZ can slot into the right mid position.

I would play Grainger on the left and switch McGinn over to the right with Newton slotting into Goodwins role, have a feeling he may start Harkins though.

I would play Grainger on the left and switch McGinn over to the right with Newton slotting into Goodwins role, have a feeling he may start Harkins though.

Not so sure that Grainger should get a start in this game, due to the fact that he's been a huge disappointment in all of the games that he's previously started. I would like him to find some form and prove me wrong but he was in a poor run of form leading up to losing his place to young Kelly, and I would rather see Mair or Harkins get a start before him.

We dont need to move Newton as that would mean we would be replacing 2 spots

just replace Goodwin with another midfielder and keep the same shape and format that has been bringing in the results

simples (its only hibs)

That implies that Goodwins role is easy to replace and anyone can slot in.

I don't think that's the case.

I also think Newyon would relish the challenge of playing in that role. It suits his energy.

I'd shift McGinn into the centre if Grainger was to be slotted into the left.

We need a physical element to centre mid and I feel that even though Newton has a lot of energy, he doesn't put the boot in as hard as McGinn can and isn't the greatest at tracking back.

Ideally, as others have said, we could just slot someone in to replace Goodwin, without altering the rest of the midfield or defence.

With Barron injured, I really can't see any obvious players to play Goodwin's role. Mair? Grainger?

I don’t think it’s a good idea to disrupt the team by shifting Newton or McGinn. Newton has developed a really good link up with Naismith with Naismith often pushing up and Newton dropping into right back. Likewise McGinn and Kelly. I would put McGregor into the Goodwin role and slot Mair in at CB to minimise disruption.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to disrupt the team by shifting Newton or McGinn. Newton has developed a really good link up with Naismith with Naismith often pushing up and Newton dropping into right back. Likewise McGinn and Kelly. I would put McGregor into the Goodwin role and slot Mair in at CB to minimise disruption.

That's exactly the same amount of disruption but on defence rather than midfield.

It also returns is to a McAusland and Mair defence without Goodwin in front.

(Shudders)

That's exactly the same amount of disruption but on defence rather than midfield.

It also returns is to a McAusland and Mair defence without Goodwin in front.

(Shudders)

It's really not, Mair is a straight replacement for Mcgregor at CB and would have still been playing there last weekend if he didn't get injured. Mcgregor has the pace vision and toughness to carry out the Goodwin role. Plus it's took us all season to figure which midfielders should be playing and where so let's not disrupt the midfield which has been excellent the last month.

It's really not, Mair is a straight replacement for Mcgregor at CB and would have still been playing there last weekend if he didn't get injured. Mcgregor has the pace vision and toughness to carry out the Goodwin role. Plus it's took us all season to figure which midfielders should be playing and where so let's not disrupt the midfield which has been excellent the last month.

It took us a while to get McGregor back to shore up the defence. Why dismantle an important part of the system when we have midfielders in abundance?

I'm writing this one off already. I kow we've hit a bit of form but expecting a 4 nil win to the filthy Hibs. New manager in the seat, all of them with something to prove. We can park the great run for a week then get back to winning ways in the league after we smash QotS.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and Saint Thommo of Houston runs them ragged...

Keeping well clear of this on the fixed odds, just in case.

Harkins or Caprice (assuming Teale is still injured), I'd say. Caprice hasn't even started a game yet - who knows if he's good enough.

Harkins has been rubbish anytime I've seen him and is far too lazy to play on the right, as you say Caprice is a bit of an unkown. I suppose Reilly is an option aswell but I'd rather we just kept Newton there.

Who would replace Newton on the right?

DVZ or Caprice.

Mair slotting in for McGregor may well be a straight cb for cb switch... but I am convinced that the two main factors in our turn of form and fortune were the return of McGregor to defence and the move of Goodwin to midfield to protect the defence and youngsters in the midfield.

I actually wouldn't mind trying McGregor in that role and am convinced he is more than capable of doing it well... ... I fully understand why you suggest it...

but I worry about a Mair and McAusland combo at the back without Goodwin in front... I just see that as a massive risk... moreso than a change to the right mid.