Lennon Out

I see the English Championship team who hammered us in a preseason friendly, are now bottom of the league and have just sacked their manager.........

Lovely stuff! Are you suggesting that we should now sack DL because a team who hammered us in our first pre-season training game 8 or 9 months have sacked their manager?

Back when it was all the rage to say DL should be sacked because of results before the League Cup Win / results after the League Cup win / preseason results and our bad start to the season it was all the rage to say DL should be sacked in August / September to prevent Hearts overtaking us by October. Last time i checked the table Hearts are still 21 points behind us in March.

The Charlton board have concluded that pumping St Mirren in a meaningless training match in Spain before the season started wasn't enough to save Chris Powell's job when they are sitting bottom of the league having played most of the season now.

Lovely stuff! Are you suggesting that we should now sack DL because a team who hammered us in our first pre-season training game 8 or 9 months have sacked their manager?

It is simply an observation, not a suggestion!!

Hearts are only 21 points behind as they had 15 points docked and haven't been allowed to sign any players all season. It's not exactly a level playing field or a fair comparison.

Hearts are only 21 points behind as they had 15 points docked and haven't been allowed to sign any players all season. It's not exactly a level playing field or a fair comparison.

Since Hearts are in administration with debts of over £30m and aren't sure if they have enough cash to last this season I think it is fair that they have been banned from signing more players they also can't afford. Hearts have had years / decades of living beyond their means, buying players they couldn't afford to pay (on time) and often outbid other SPL clubs for those players and as a result achieved status within the SPL which was built on unsustainable levels of debt... this is the first a few years of reality check for them.

I mentioned our points difference over Hearts now, as one example of an often cited reason in August / September for sacking Danny Lennon, a reason which has turned out to be pants over the duration of the season: Gary Locke had Hearts playing out of their skin, Hearts were fired up by a sense of injustice over their 15 points deduction and transfer ban and Hearts would overtake St Mirren "by October" if we didn't get rid of Danny Lennon. By March Hearts have now reached a +6 points total. Despite our bad start to the season we had 8 points on the board by mid-October. Almost 5 months on from when St Mirren hit 8 points Hearts have yet to hit that amount. Hopefully this underlines how wrong those predicting Hearts would overtake us by October and DL should be sacked to save us from relegation were.

Hearts are 12th on merit. St Mirren are 9th and closer in points to 4th placed Dundee United than 12th placed Hearts. If you want to factor in Hearts 15 points deduction we are as close in points to 7th placed Hibs as we are to 12th placed Hearts.

Neither has their BIG TEAM legacy due to them paying for players they could not afford conducive to establishing a level playing field. All the years Saints struggled and survived behind their financial cheating means your simple observation is REALLY f**kin simple.

They are now in their rightful position.

As are Saints. SEVERAL places higher up the table. :)

Since Hearts are in administration with debts of over £30m and aren't sure if they have enough cash to last this season I think it is fair that they have been banned from signing more players they also can't afford. Hearts have had years / decades of living beyond their means, buying players they couldn't afford to pay (on time) and often outbid other SPL clubs for those players and as a result achieved status within the SPL which was built on unsustainable levels of debt... this is the first a few years of reality check for them.

I mentioned our points difference over Hearts now, as one example of an often cited reason in August / September for sacking Danny Lennon, a reason which has turned out to be pants over the duration of the season: Gary Locke had Hearts playing out of their skin, Hearts were fired up by a sense of injustice over their 15 points deduction and transfer ban and Hearts would overtake St Mirren "by October" if we didn't get rid of Danny Lennon. By March Hearts have now reached a +6 points total. Despite our bad start to the season we had 8 points on the board by mid-October. Almost 5 months on from when St Mirren hit 8 points Hearts have yet to hit that amount. Hopefully this underlines how wrong those predicting Hearts would overtake us by October and DL should be sacked to save us from relegation were.

Hearts are 12th on merit. St Mirren are 9th and closer in points to 4th placed Dundee United than 12th placed Hearts. If you want to factor in Hearts 15 points deduction we are as close in points to 7th placed Hibs as we are to 12th placed Hearts.

You beat me to the post by three minutes!

Hmmm. I don't think I ever said it wasn't fair that Hearts were 12th. They certainly deserve to be there.

I simply said it wasn't fair to compare Saints performance over the season to Hearts. I don't see how the team or Danny can get much credit for being 21 points ahead of Hearts team, 15 points of which is accounted for by a points deduction and the remaining 6 by the fact they have been forced to play their U20 team for the whole season.

A just punishment for Hearts....definitely. But I don't think it can be used to justify the rubbish we've been watching week in, week out for the duration of this season.

Edited by ds10

Hmmm. I don't think I ever said it wasn't fair that Hearts were 12th. They certainly deserve to be there.

I simply said it wasn't fair to compare Saints performance over the season to Hearts. I don't see how the team or Danny can get much credit for being 21 points ahead of Hearts team, 15 points of which is accounted for by a points deduction and the remaining 6 by the fact they have been forced to play their U20 team for the whole season.

A just punishment for Hearts....definitely. But I don't think it can be used to justify the rubbish we've been watching week in, week out for the duration of this season.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, the reason for mentioning Hearts in my original reply was nothing to do with St Mirren taking credit for being ahead of Hearts in the league by x points, it was to highlight the fact that a decent chunk of BAWA posters were calling for DL's sacking in August and September based on pre-season results, and their prediction that if Hearts kept winning and we kept losing then Hearts would have overtaken us by October. To prevent Hearts overtaking us by October the solution recommended by these BAWA posters was to get rid of Lennon.

Without getting rid of Lennon Hearts have never overtaken us, nor looked in danger of overtaking us any time from October - now.

Getting back to your observation about Charlton sacking their manager, Morton also beat us pre-season for the first time in donkeys years and then sacked their manager before Christmas and still sit adrift at the bottom of the championship months after bring Kenny Shiels in to achieve Tedious Tom's managerial bounce effect. Maybe pre-season results don't count for too much in the grand scheme of things?

Hearts under 20 team happens to contain a Scotland international in Danny Wilson, a guy who scored two goals in last year's League Cup Final in Ryan Stavenson, an experienced goalkeeper in Jamie McDonald, other experienced players such as Jamie Hamill, and 8 current Scotland under 21 internationals.

It's not a team of infant novices.

Hearts under 20 team happens to contain a Scotland international in Danny Wilson, a guy who scored two goals in last year's League Cup Final in Ryan Stavenson, an experienced goalkeeper in Jamie McDonald, other experienced players such as Jamie Hamill, and 8 current Scotland under 21 internationals.

Also in respect of Stevenson he was recently quoted (on here so it must be true) as saying that we a team not in debt or administration could not afford his wages.

Maybe pre-season results don't count for too much in the grand scheme of things?

Perhaps not.

However we had a dreadful preseason, followed by a dreadful season (so far).

With the exception of the games against us, I'm not sure how Charlton or Morton got on.

Edited by ds10

Ok U20 team may be a bit of an exaggeration. But it's not the team that they would have been playing on a regular basis, had the signing embargo not been in place.

Ok U20 team may be a bit of an exaggeration. But it's not the team that they would have been playing on a regular basis, had the signing embargo not been in place.

That's correct, but it's still a team full of talent and balanced with experience. Could be argued they've been spending outwith their means for years so could they have struggled before now had that not been the case? They finished only three points above us last season as well.

The team they would have been playing on a regular basis had the signing embargo not been in place is one they can't afford to field... how many of this year's team have taken sizeable wage cuts while Hearts are in administration (i.e. all season!) and this from a club with debts of £30m and who have regularly paid staff late for years and not paid out bonuses according to the contracts...

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Would not like to see a new manager thrown in for the Celtic game. Danny has got to go the drop would put us down for the best part of a decade again surly the board don't want to take that chance ?

It makes no sense to say that Danny should go now in, er, 9 days time. 9 games of the season left to play, unless we also have the play offs as well.