St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 15/2/14

shull

Stop Robson and mcginn playing and we could win. So 2-1 saints.

Have you been watching Johny Hayes or Peter Pawlett lately? They have been Aberdeens best players this season and if our full backs play like they did on Sunday they will get ripped new arseholes.

Have you been watching Johny Hayes or Peter Pawlett lately? They have been Aberdeens best players this season and if our full backs play like they did on Sunday they will get ripped new arseholes.

the full backs did not perform to their usual high standards defensively on sunday, but i feel that they were left isolated on far too many occasions, the right & left midfield were anonymous at times, leaving the speedy utd wingers lots of space to run at our defence.

I am of the opinion that both our full backs need a rest. I saw mcginn play at left back at Livingston v hibs under 20s and did fine. Would go with

. Kello

Newton McGregor Goodwin mcginn

. djemba djemba

Campbell McGowan McLean wylde

. Thompson

subs. Van zanten. Naismith

. teale Kelly

. bahoken Reilly

. dillo

McGinn would be wasted at left back. He's our most important player IMO and we need him in midfield, doing what he does best.

I am of the opinion that both our full backs need a rest. I saw mcginn play at left back at Livingston v hibs under 20s and did fine. Would go with

. Kello

. djemba djemba

. Thompson

. teale Kelly

. bahoken Reilly

. dillo

Have to agree with newton at right back. He ain't been too hot in right mid and with Naismith really suffering I would be tempted to play him although I would possibly bring DVZ back

Kello

DVZ McGregor Goodwin Kelly

Djemba-Djemba McGinn

Teale/Campbell Wylde

McLean

Thompson

Naismith and Kelly have been below par for the last few weeks, DVZ deserves a chance at Rb, and hopefully having Goodwin at centre half to talk Kelly through the game will improve him defensively.

Newton and McGowan could do with a game or two on the bench, and I'd really like McLean to get a run of games playing just off Thompson. Who himself,hopefully will flourish with 2 proper wingers available for the first time in Wylde and Teale.

Gary Teale! cloud9.gif

Kello

DVZ McGregor Goodwin Kelly

Djemba-Djemba McGinn

Teale/Campbell Wylde

McLean

Thompson

Naismith and Kelly have been below par for the last few weeks, DVZ deserves a chance at Rb, and hopefully having Goodwin at centre half to talk Kelly through the game will improve him defensively.

Newton and McGowan could do with a game or two on the bench, and I'd really like McLean to get a run of games playing just off Thompson. Who himself,hopefully will flourish with 2 proper wingers available for the first time in Wylde and Teale.

Gary Teale! cloud9.gif

Aye. Wish we had signed a left back in the summer!whistling.gif

I dont buy into giving 19 year old professional footballers 'a rest'. The guys should be at pretty much their peak fitness in their lives and dropping them is only going to knock their confidence.

I'd drop Newton and Mcgowan who have been poor for weeks. Play with 2 proper wingers to get balls into the box for thompson as often as possible, not sure if Teale is ready to start but I would play him if he is.

Kello

Naismith Mcgregor Goodwin Kelly

Djemb-Djemba

Teale/Campbell Mcginn Mclean Wylde

Thompson

Edited by irvine_buddie

Teale looks some way off from being able to play a full 90 minutes, so we should probably start with Campbell on the right.

Goodwin in central defence seems a certainty, so EDD in for him is the best option. If Wylde is to play, we would need to drop someone. Newton would be my pick. He has been largely ineffective at right mid, and there are others who should start ahead of him I'm central midfield.

I would go for:

Kello

Naismith

McGregor

Goodwin

Kelly

Campbell

EDD

McGinn

Wylde

McGowan

Thompson

Bringing on Teale and McLean (with Campbell and McGowan making way, for example) with half an hour to go would be a reasonable option.

I would leave Naismith where he is for now.

Edited by Drew

Teale looks some way off from being able to play a full 90 minutes, so we should probably start with Campbell on the right.

Goodwin in central defence seems a certainty, so EDD in for him is the best option. If Wylde is to play, we would need to drop someone. Newton would be my pick. He has been largely ineffective at right mid, and there are others who should start ahead of him I'm central midfield.

I would go for:

Kello

Naismith

McGregor

Goodwin

Kelly

Campbell

EDD

McGinn

Wylde

McGowan

Thompson

Bringing on Teale and McLean (with Campbell and McGowan making way, for example) with half an hour to go would be a reasonable option.

Seriously tho' , can we drop Newton. I understood the agreement meant that , if fit , he must be played. .

Seriously tho' , can we drop Newton. I understood the agreement meant that , if fit , he must be played. .

I really hope that isn't the case or we have been shafted.

Djemba will come good I think but he's nowhere near fit enough to play the holding midfielder role on his own , particularly against Aberdeen !

It's not a role that particularly requires fitness.. especially with 2 central midfielders in front of him.

I would go for:

Kello

Naismith

McGregor

Goodwin

Kelly

Campbell

EDD

McGinn

Wylde

McGowan

Thompson

I would go with that team except drop McGowan and stick McLean in behind Thompson , tell McLean to shoot on sight, he would flourish in that position.

I would go with that team except drop McGowan and stick McLean in behind Thompson , tell McLean to shoot on sight, he would flourish in that position.

That's fair enough. I have no issue with McGowan being dropped from the starting 11. I was wondering about Kenny's match fitness, though. I would be happy to see him playing of Thompson.

No ? Well if he plays there himself on Saturday, we'll see for ourselves if that role requires full match fitness or not !

It obviously requries match fitness (as every position does) but there's a reason guys like Gerrard move back into that role when they get older and aren't fit or fast enough to play as a central midfielder. Theres no reason why he shouldn't be match fit with a match and a week and a half training under his belt, it's not as if he is returning from injury he just hadn't played in a month and he's only 32.

That's fair enough. I have no issue with McGowan being dropped from the starting 11. I was wondering about Kenny's match fitness, though. I would be happy to see him playing of Thompson.

Not sure about McLean's fitness either Drew but he was 1 of the only 1's driving the team forward on Sunday, he's wasted out wide. I have no idea what the team will be on Saturday, it's frustrating the now as there is a squad there capable of beating Aberdeen this weekend, players need to be played in there correct positions, Lennon has ran out of ideas though and doesn't seem capable of motivating these players.

It obviously requries match fitness (as every position does) but there's a reason guys like Gerrard move back into that role when they get older and aren't fit or fast enough to play as a central midfielder. Theres no reason why he shouldn't be match fit with a match and a week and a half training under his belt, it's not as if he is returning from injury he just hadn't played in a month and he's only 32.

I'm sure he'll play, but probably subbed as his muscles, stamina, touch etc will need to be built up again having not actually played for a while... the body needs periods of exercise to develop/tone the muscles, but also needs periods of recuperation (rest days) to build stamina. You won't achieve that in a week, but perhaps he'll kick a few less people theis weekend?

I'm sure he'll play, but probably subbed as his muscles, stamina, touch etc will need to be built up again having not actually played for a while... the body needs periods of exercise to develop/tone the muscles, but also needs periods of recuperation (rest days) to build stamina. You won't achieve that in a week, but perhaps he'll kick a few less people theis weekend?

I hope he kicks a few more people

. Kello

. djemba djemba

. Thompson

. teale Kelly

. bahoken Reilly

. dillo

wildly attacking but I always like a midfielder in defence (they tend to be better with the ball at their feet) and here you have 3 in the back 4, 10 out of 10 for optimism, I think we would get pumped playing that team but I'm sure it would be an open match.

Really doubt he'll be as adventurous as you though so doubt we'll get to see.

dare I say it, it might be time to give either Kelly or Naismith a wee break, Magennis or McGregor could cover one of the berths

Magennis and Newton can both play right back, Magennis was decent for Aberdeen at right back and Newton played for Newcastle under 21s at right back on a number of occasion's, Van Zanten back in should be last resort, he's done at this level.