John Mcginn Club Statement

The club should offer McGinn a two year deal, giving him a salary increase and a percentage of the agreed transfer fee when he does move. That way, John gets an immediate salary increase, the club secure the services of a player, with a level of talent it cannot afford to replace, for at least another season, and an opportunity to get a bigger transfer fee than appears to be currently on offer.

A bit of a gamble, on both sides, but with the talent McGinn obviously has, it is a gamble worth taking

The Daily Star online reporting that the McGinn Sheff U deal is close. Usually their Saints related stuff is spot on.

Its the one paper who (like you say) do seem to be accurate quite often on Saints related stories.

Undisclosed will be announced with regards to fee I guess.

I understand why clubs do that , but if often leaves you to wonder on what fee was agreed etc.

I posted this on another thread a minute ago, cut and paste...

The fee changes per age bracket.

In Euros it's 10k per year age 12-15 and then 60k from 15-21.

At the end of his contract the compensation would be in the region of 340,000 Euros, approx. £270,000.

You can see why the £100k bid was placed to test the water.

Sheesh...

Yep, but evidently not on this thread. Don't be so precious.

Did you have a copyright on the info or something? Would that not be the person who informed you?... or the person who informed him?... or...

Edited by Vambo57

If we would get 270k next season, I really don't see why we would accept under 400k now. The guy is worth a couple of places in the league on his own.

Should really hold out for 800k to get his true value.

Apologies - I appreciate it seems a tad arrogant quoting one's own posts, but I couldn't be arsed repeating points I have done to death.

Hope I'm wrong, but....

If that was the thinking of the Board then surely they could just add a couple hundred thousand onto the asking price of the club on the basis that theres a £250K compensation payout due at the end of the season.

This £400k figure, I thought was a wind-up but it simply won't go away. If this is true then it's beyond disappointing. I get that we're a selling club and I accept that he'll be gone eventually but I thought the days of selling our best talent on the knock-down was long gone. If we signed him to a new deal we'd be able to get his true market value.

What chance do we have of drawing in any sort of large transfer fee in the future if we sell an absolute talent like this for under half a million? A lad who comes along once a decade if we're lucky. We're building a rod for our own backs here in terms of this lad. Unless this £400k include a 20% sell on, a LOT of clauses and a player (namely Lyle Taylor) then we've absolutely stiffed ourselves here, yet again.

I'm sick of us selling our players on the cheap. We've lost numerous players on the snide down the years including Simon Lappin, Stephen McGinn, Barry Lavety, Andy Dorman, Jamie Fullarton and soon enough, Kenny McLean. The only time we've EVER gotten a relatively good deal for our players in the last 2 decades was MacNamee and O'Brien to Blackburn.

Hope we don't get Lyle Taylor. Billy big time and unpopular with other players.

400k isn't bad, if be happy with that.

I don't see anyone willing to get anywhere near 750k region even if he was on a longer contract.

If the player wants to make the move then 400k isn't too bad.

Hope we don't get Lyle Taylor. Billy big time and unpopular with other players.

400k isn't bad, if be happy with that.

I don't see anyone willing to get anywhere near 750k region even if he was on a longer contract.

If the player wants to make the move then 400k isn't too bad.

Can't agree David. As I said, we took £300k each for Bobo and MacNamee. That was 15 years ago, we were in no position to negotiate and young John is a far better prospect than either of those were. The whole McCarthy/MacArthur situation at Hamilton proved that if clubs want a player badly enough, they WILL pay the going rate. Hamilton have kept themselves financially solvent through their time in the 1st through those two sales (and Brian Easton) despite having and average crowd of about 75 folk.

Nigel Clough isn't thick. He knows the Scottish market intimately. He bought extensively with Derby and is doing so again with Utd...you don't think he knows he's getting a steal in McGinn for under half a million? There's no other reason for the bid to jump up four-fold within a week of the initial bid....he wants his man, he's prepared to pay even more than he's already (allegedly) offering, I'd wager.

I've never heard anyone mention Taylor's unpopularity, but 7 goals in 14 starts and 6 sub appearances for Thistle certainly isn't to be sniffed at.

As I said, unless we have a large cut of any future fee, then I'd be holding out. Surely to f'k though, they wouldn't let him go without negotiating a sell-on?

Can't agree David. As I said, we took £300k each for Bobo and MacNamee. That was 15 years ago, we were in no position to negotiate and young John is a far better prospect than either of those were. The whole McCarthy/MacArthur situation at Hamilton proved that if clubs want a player badly enough, they WILL pay the going rate. Hamilton have kept themselves financially solvent through their time in the 1st through those two sales (and Brian Easton) despite having and average crowd of about 75 folk.

Nigel Clough isn't thick. He knows the Scottish market intimately. He bought extensively with Derby and is doing so again with Utd...you don't think he knows he's getting a steal in McGinn for under half a million? There's no other reason for the bid to jump up four-fold within a week of the initial bid....he wants his man, he's prepared to pay even more than he's already (allegedly) offering, I'd wager.

I've never heard anyone mention Taylor's unpopularity, but 7 goals in 14 starts and 6 sub appearances for Thistle certainly isn't to be sniffed at.

As I said, unless we have a large cut of any future fee, then I'd be holding out. Surely to f'k though, they wouldn't let him go without negotiating a sell-on?

There are a few rumours down here about Taylors attitude and thats the reason why Cloughs letting him go. I personally have not seen any evidence of this.

He does though seem to do ok in Scottish football.

400k when only 1 team appear seriously interested is not too bad. Especially if we can get some clauses in there, sell on, promotion etc.

In a perfect world 1 or 2 more teams will show their interest, and in turn drive up the asking price. Thats the only way we get the price rising, a bidding war.

Hope he has an absolute blinder for the u21's tomorrow.

If the deal was done, he would "be unveiled" now.

If the fee is under 500k then for me it would simply prove the board have lost all interest now.

This player should not be leaving St Mirren for anything other than incredible offer.

Of all the players leaving, johns departure actually makes me quite sad irrespective of how much money we might make. The boy himself is a real hard worker and that, along with his exceptional talent will ensure he goes a long way in the game. He has been with us since he was a boy and his style of play will be hugely missed. In years to come when he is at the top of his profession we can say he was one of ours. I only hope he makes the right decision for him. I'm sure he will. Good luck son

As others have said I'll be gutted to see him go as I think we would have really seen the best so far of him this season coming. If he was going for £800K+ then you could understand but letting him go for <£500K is a waste.

I understand that the board are selling up and want the cash in now but we have let our manager go and replaced him people already on the wage bill, let our (probably) highest paid player in Mcgowan go and most likely will be losing Mclean as well. Couple that with the fact we finished higher than the previous season so would have got a decent bit more money there too.

It's not always about money, he's only 19 years old and one of the best players I've seen play for St Mirren, get him on more money and a 2 year contract and lets get the benefit of a player we have developed from a young age. Another year or 2 in Scotland and he will be a 21 year old who most likely could walk into any Championship side or even some Premier League teams.

Fact of life is that we are a selling club and to be fair we have not had much cash in for our players. Obviously the board are looking to recover money invested in our youth system. We need to get a reasonable price and hopefully reinvest the money to see us in the top six instead of floundering at the bottom of the table.