Cheesy

He was like many of the other players that just didn't turn up in the second half. That said I'm pretty sure some fans have it in for him, Plummer mucked up a pass in the second half (probably the only thing he did wrong) and a guy near us shouted "f*xk sake cheesy, get a grip". I mean surely that's not just mistaken identity.

I thought he was fine first half.

20 minutes at the start of the second half he just completely lost his head and made about 10 errors in that time frame.

Any player can and will have a bad game. Cheesy was good on Sat and he will be good for us again. Let's get behind him.

I thought he was fine first half.

20 minutes at the start of the second half he just completely lost his head and made about 10 errors in that time frame.

Any player can and will have a bad game. Cheesy was good on Sat and he will be good for us again. Let's get behind him.

The problem was he came out 2nd half, made a mistake, crowd got on his back, made another couple of mistakes which led to the 2nd goal and he never recovered.

I thought 2nd half he was very like John Potter in the latter part of his Saints career with the clearances and headers.

I thought Cheesy and Plummer were completely fine in the first half. Indeed, aside from backing off, and off, and off for their first goal, the entire team were doing OK in the first half. Tesselaar blasted over, Ball put in two delightful crosses, one was cleared off the line... Alex Neil was putting himself around and it was a good game. I was feeling fine about our prospects of turning it around - but Tommy needed to sub' the kid Brown, who was trying but the game was passing him by.

Cheesy was pish in the second half, so were the entire team, one or two good runs from McGinn aside. Second half was utter shite, and Accies energy and running us down was to be admired. They bullied and bossed us right out of the game, which was worrying. Absolutely no leadership on display from anyone wearing a JD Sports 'King of Trainers' corporate-coloured advertisement.

Do we ever stop developing in our careers with the proper coaching and mentoring?

Ok, shouldn't HE be this "no nonsense" centre half we keep saying we need?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not having another dig, he gets enough already, but at the same time, he's not an immature boy any more and he sets himself up at times with his errors.

He can't hide, we need him to be solid, cut out the basic errors and just be steady.

So it was a terrible performance, it happens. I personally think that part of our problem is the lack of pre season games at home. Half the team have never played at SMP before last night. FFS show a bit of patience, only 2 games in to the season and the usual suspects are trolling already. Get a grip!

How many of the accies players played there before last night ?? :huh:

I thought Cheesy and Plummer were completely fine in the first half. Indeed, aside from backing off, and off, and off for their first goal, the entire team were doing OK in the first half. Tesselaar blasted over, Ball put in two delightful crosses, one was cleared off the line... Alex Neil was putting himself around and it was a good game. I was feeling fine about our prospects of turning it around - but Tommy needed to sub' the kid Brown, who was trying but the game was passing him by.

Cheesy was pish in the second half, so were the entire team, one or two good runs from McGinn aside. Second half was utter shite, and Accies energy and running us down was to be admired. They bullied and bossed us right out of the game, which was worrying. Absolutely no leadership on display from anyone wearing a JD Sports 'King of Trainers' corporate-coloured advertisement.

This.

It reminded me of Danny's first season, when opposition managers completely out-thought him.

The players were, for the most part, pretty shite last night, but I reckon Tam has to carry the can. No excuse for such tactical naivety given his experience in the game.

Thankfully we lost while not at our strongest. With thommo still to return from injury, Goodwin from suspension and the possible new guy from man city, there is still hope. By all accounts we spent a lot of time backing off and of course couldn't score. Both Goodwin and thommo give us some solidity in those areas. Looking forward to seeing what the new boy brings. The other new guys will also need a few games to adapt. Perhaps the time to make a judgement is at the end of the first round of fixtures.

As much as I've always wanted Cheesy to succeed, last night confirmed to me that he doesn't have it at this level. I'm not just talking about his footballing ability but his mental strenght too. He was visibly affected by that 15 minute period he endured just after half time. Centre half is an unforgiving position - you don't have time to feel sorry for yourself. Petulant wingers and strikers can get away with it to a degree but not when you're sitting at the heart of the defence. I also think that the assured performance dislayed by Plummer didn't help Cheesy's cause.

I have no doubt that without Goodwin in attendance the lightweight midfield last night didn't help things but that just means that you have to step up and take command. I don't think he's got it.

I'd love to be proved wrong......

He was awful. We need to get behind the guy though until we get some more centre back replacements.

We have put ourselves in a bit of a muddle though by making the guy captain, it's not easy to replace the man with the captains armband. Another thing I noticed is he didn't make a peep all night for some reason. He needed to see that even though he had made a number of mistakes you can't let the head go down because you are the most experienced player who others are looking to for direction.

Plummer on the other hand was fantastic what a gem he could be with some proper leadership behind him.

Point has been made that Cheesy has good gamers and bad games. However any player no matter how bad, and I've seen a few of them in my time watching StMirren, will have the occasional good game, but inevitably, as we seen last night, they will revert to type.

I'm not saying he has no ability, he's not a bad header of the ball and puts in a decent tackle. Unfortunately his reading of the game, positional sense, judgement and basic football ability are all shocking. I've no doubt he tries his best, is all heart and commitment, but he cant be better than he is. Its not his fault. He's now 26 at his peak and wont improve with games. I'm baffled as to why he is club captain.

Desperately need to get a decent centre half in. Until then we have a number of defenders who can be utilised in the positions.

He should be put on gardening leave made available for transfer. I don't believe he has the ability to play at this level. If he continues to play then as inevitably as night follows day we will see the type of absolute howlers he committed last night, I think it was 3 or 4, and it will lose us games

Point has been made that Cheesy has good gamers and bad games. However any player no matter how bad, and I've seen a few of them in my time watching StMirren, will have the occasional good game, but inevitably, as we seen last night, they will revert to type.

I'm not saying he has no ability, he's not a bad header of the ball and puts in a decent tackle. Unfortunately his reading of the game, positional sense, judgement and basic football ability are all shocking. I've no doubt he tries his best, is all heart and commitment, but he cant be better than he is. Its not his fault. He's now 26 at his peak and wont improve with games. I'm baffled as to why he is club captain.

Desperately need to get a decent centre half in. Until then we have a number of defenders who can be utilised in the positions.

He should be put on gardening leave made available for transfer. I don't believe he has the ability to play at this level. If he continues to play then as inevitably as night follows day we will see the type of absolute howlers he committed last night, I think it was 3 or 4, and it will lose us games

Agree with this.

Disagree that he was good in the first half. Backs off to many times and frequently left Naismith exposed and totally backed off for 20 yards to give the boy a free run at goal for the first. I'm sure he couldn't believe his luck. He has no game awareness and most of his passes out of defence were to slow and just came straight back to him as the receiving player was under pressure (credit to Hamilton).

I've read debate with interest and not commented because I support anyone in B&W.

However those who defend him no matter what only seem to have the fall back that he supports Saints and loves the club.

So do I. Can I get a game please (5ft 9, 17 stone & 57)

Not blaming him for defeat as tactics were a complete shambles, everyone was rotten (possibly except Plummer & Tess) and was left wondering what they do actually practice at Ralston.

If the other boy from Man City was at the game, I bet he couldn't get to the airport quick enough.

On a side note, sorry if this has been mentioned before, I would like to know what the idea behind the watering of the pitch at half time was? Didn't help matters at all!

I believe it is to help the ball move. It runs better on a slick surface. Most ground to this before the game and at half time.

Edited by Radar

Fair enough, he had an absolute shocker last night, and he is not by any means a great centre back. However, it doesn't help that within about 5 minutes of kick off that people are shouting at him and getting on his back. Where I sit in particular, (W1) there are a few folk who seem to enjoy getting on the player's backs before they've done anything wrong. Can't do much for any of the player's confidence having folk right on top of them piling on abuse before they've put a foot wrong.

Cheesy is at the moment a run of the mill SPL defender if we replaced him he would be replaced by another run of the mill SPL defender at best. One thing he definitely is is a saints player and as a result deserves a little bit of support from us supporters.

Pairing him up with a loan signing won't help his development, he needs a good old fashioned no nonsense defender next to him and we need a leader in the heart of that defence.

Cheesy should not be the scapegoat for a few seasons worth of poor signings.

Pretty much my opinion - "Wee" McAusland is a bottom 6 SPFL player and it's not really helpful when others compare him with Plummer who will not be here next season whereas McAusland will be here for the duration of his contract and beyond if we want him.

Sure he makes mistakes and he's not naturally a "leader" in the way Goodwin or Thompson can be but let's be realistic about who we are and who McAusland is although longer term there's gotta be another plan for instances when the latter two are unavailable especially Goodwin in the holding-midfield role.

Plummer on the other hand was fantastic what a gem he could be with some proper leadership behind him.

He was excellent.

McAusland should watch and learn.

Whatever cretin of a journalist was giving descriptions of player performance in today's record said he was indecisive bullied off the ball by Curier.

He must have been watching a different game from me. Plummer is strong as an Ox and his decision making is excellent.

Interesting that after a terrible team performance last night that Cheesey is only player with thread criticising him

yes he had poor game last night but so did every player on park, i know some have said certain players had decent game but personally if any player can stand up and say they had good or even average game last night id be surprised

players need our support and encouragement, we are supposed to be supporters, why do some fans seem to be only happy when putting team down?

Interesting that after a terrible team performance last night that Cheesey is only player with thread criticising him

yes he had poor game last night but so did every player on park, i know some have said certain players had decent game but personally if any player can stand up and say they had good or even average game last night id be surprised

players need our support and encouragement, we are supposed to be supporters, why do some fans seem to be only happy when putting team down?

The Express match report called him "Captain Calamity" and blamed him for both goals.

Not just the fans who are criticising him.

The Express match report called him "Captain Calamity" and blamed him for both goals.

Not just the fans who are criticising him.

I did state he had poor game but question was why single him out as everyone had poor game

as some people believe he is not SPFL standard they should expect poor games, why isn't there thread on others in team who are our best players, as personally i thought others who you expect more of are a bigger let down

Although we shouldn't have any threads like this which are more like a witch hunt, yes we are all entitled to criticise poor performances but as supporters i will keep saying we should get behind every player who wears the strip

I did state he had poor game but question was why single him out as everyone had poor game

Indeed most of them (not all) did.

However, not all of them nearly gave away two goals, before final gifting a goal by miskicking the ball to their player 18 yards out in front of goal.

Indeed most of them (not all) did.

However, not all of them nearly gave away two goals, before final gifting a goal by miskicking the ball to their player 18 yards out in front of goal.

tell me which player would have been happy with performance

All could have done better

if they are true professional none would have given themselves pass marks

Edited by golfbuddie