Holy Sh*t!

First chance I've had to get on here.

Devasting news about Kenny's imminent departure.

My understanding is that there is a release clause in his contract, which was negotiated in the summer when he re-signed. I've no idea what that clause amount would be but it will be higher than the £250K we would have got if he left last summer as a free agent.

If the player didn't have a release clause then the only possible reason for selling him right now, taking into account we would drastically increase our chances of being relegated, would be that we desperately need the money.

If he does sign for the Dons, and it seems certain he will, then I'd certainly expect the club to move to sign 1 or 2 new players today.

If they don't and there is no explanation from the board as to what exactly is going on, then I think it's only fair to assume there will be a backlash from the supporters.

Motherwell & County will be delighted today. It's like Motherwell selling Sutton or County selling er...... someone that's ok.

Maybe the BoD had no choice due to the release clause, but selling the one guy who has stepped up to take responsibility and provided a creative spark in this p*ss poor season just seems like another slap in the coupon after the TC debacle.

No choice? He is contracted for another 18 months. If the Board have taken a cheap option where Kenny has been sold way under his valuation then that will be enough for me. Where would the shaggers get the cash to buy him?

We need all the quality we gave to at least have a chance of staying up but selling one of our best is criminal. If an English mob came in with silly money then I could understand. There is no way Aberdeen could do that.

Really pissed off at the way our club is being pulled apart.

First chance I've had to get on here.

Devasting news about Kenny's imminent departure.

My understanding is that there is a release clause in his contract, which was negotiated in the summer when he re-signed. I've no idea what that clause amount would be but it will be higher than the £250K we would have got if he left last summer as a free agent.

If the player didn't have a release clause then the only possible reason for selling him right now, taking into account we would drastically increase our chances of being relegated, would be that we desperately need the money.

If he does sign for the Dons, and it seems certain he will, then I'd certainly expect the club to move to sign 1 or 2 new players today.

If they don't and there is no explanation from the board as to what exactly is going on, then I think it's only fair to assume there will be a backlash from the supporters.

We DO desperately need the money, I'm afraid.

We are in pretty good form and have an exciting young management team who clearly have the players motivated and behind them. We finally kept our first clean sheet and got ourselves out the bottom two last weekend.

We're 3rd bottom of the league on goal difference.

We're not really in a position to lose our top performer at this stage of the season.

It's a big blow, and one that makes an already precarious position even more risky.

As you say hardly a surprise that the is interest in McLean. And he's definitely ready for a bigger stage, and it's great to see our players in demand.

However suggesting that he won't be badly missed, or that we have players in the squad just now who can adequately replace him, is nonsense.

At a time when we need to improve, the team is likely to be coming out of the transfer window even weaker.

If we'd been offered Arquin and Dayton for McLean in December, I don't think there would have been many takers.

Edited by ds10

The reality of the situation is that we have arguably lost our best player (certainly going on current form, I'd suggest it isn't even arguable).Exactly how that will impact on our fate this season, is not in anyone's gift to know, but we are significantly weaker than we were yesterday as things stand. Anyone who would deny that is in cloud cuckoo land.I think the dynamic of the team will take a hit, over and above the loss of Kenny's goals and set up play.The pack will require a re-shuffle, and it is fair to say we have picked up a wee bit in recent weeks, so anything that disrupts that momentum is a setback.Probably best to reserve judgement until the window shuts later, but I'm not confident that any business done will adequately compensate for a big loss in McLean moving on.

Good post mate. Funny how Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Hamilton can get over a million for their players while we never get anywhere near that. Even Scumgers got a million for a first division player this season .

Good post mate. Funny how Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Hamilton can get over a million for their players while we never get anywhere near that. Even Scumgers got a million for a first division player this season .

Strange how we sell players at below true value, yet want too much for the club.

Before coming on the forum today I got caught up with watching the Dundee Unt game. At the end of the game Gary Teale makes a point he can't understand why McLean is still at the club while the Aberdeen manager is one of the pundits listening to him.

Strange !

This is a huge blow to our relegation fight. Lets see what the rest of the day brings.

250k - 300k is exactly what I expected for Kenny. I said this on the other "Kenny Mclean" thread the same day Fleetwood put in their bid.

Anyone on here saying we should be getting more is in DREAMLAND.

NO TEAM'S were willing to pay the compo of around 300- 400k for him in the summer, but after a couple of months great form, he is suddenly worth 750k - £1M????

We as fans can value a player at whatever we like, but if nobody is willing to pay it, then we won't get it.

Basically Kenny's form has convinced a club to now part with that compo, albeit in the form of a transfer fee rather than a compo fee.

Kenny's form hasn't been consistent over a long enough period of time to be considered a million pound player, hence why no club has come forth with such a bid.

As for the buyers paying for potential.... Kenny Mclean is 23 years old and played around 150 times. Any potential has usually been achieved by this point. He might improve little parts of his game at a bigger club, but he won't improve dramatically.

The word potential can be used for Mallan or McGinn.

300k is about all we could have hoped for to be honest.

I am sure I will be accused of being negative and talking down our players etc etc, but all I did was take off my "black & white goggles" for a second and became realistic.

Edited by Tony Fitzy

THIS is what riles me more than anything. Players come and go, but with (perhaps) the exception of Ian Ferguson, when have we ever demanded that kind of fee? Other clubs do it successfully, why can't (or don't) we?

Not seeing the mallan replacement thing, he's already in the starting 11, yeah he could play the Kenny role but then someone weaker takes his spot that's vacated. No matter how we look at this we are significantly weaker

Well Mallan has been playing out of position wide right recently. We now have Dayton for that role.

We could now line up:

McGinn-Osbourne

Dayton-Mallan-Kelly

Thompson

Mallan has already shown his knack of getting forward and scoring/making goals, I think he could be excellent in the number 10 role.

Talk about putting words into someone's mouth. You may disagree with the poster, but don't make shit up just to try and make yourself look correct.

Made stuff up? When?

He said if you subtract Kenny's goals and replace them with nothing we'd be bottom.

I did post earlier what I forgot to say is that the timing of this move is a bloody kick in the teeth to the fans.Just when we got a decent result and showed signs of improvement.Problem now is we have a rookie management team not well versed on transfer dealings.Well done to The Board for this wonderful piece of business in most probably relegating us to The Championship.

As for the buyers paying for potential.... Kenny Mclean is 23 years old and played around 150 times. Any potential has usually been achieved by this point. He might improve little parts of his game at a bigger club, but he won't improve dramatically.

The word potential can be used for Mallan or McGinn.

James McArthur. 168 appearances for Accies. £500,000 (ish) transfer to Wigan. Granted he was 18 months or so younger than Kenny when he moved but I reckon the two of these situations could be compared to one another.

Edited by Herbie