St Mirren V Berwick Rangers 25/7/15

TopCat

Encouraged... Liked Murray and Spalding's demeanour - both very animated, involved, encouraging and cajoling, taking notes and no sitting on their hands staring into the middle distance. Let's hope that scenario never materialises for them.

Opening ten minutes aside, was happy with our passing and energy - and very noticeably, when a shot was on, most times someone would take it on. Agnew looked like, and runs like, Aaron Mooy... He had a great game.

The swapping of the dugouts though? What's that all about? We came up with four possibilities:

1. Superstition. Murray had the right side dugout at Dumbarton.

2. Fresh start. Aware of our generally poor results at the new midden, Murray becomes the first Saints manager to make that dugout ours. Superstition again I suppose?

3. The old home one is haunted.

4. The old home one permanently reeks of stale pish from Tommy Craig's breeks.

Any other theories?

Can only be happy with a win and in the hat for the next round. Wasn't there but like the noises about Agnew and Carswell having a good understanding. Hope to seem them all soon. But lets just keep it real! Its was Berwick at ours and even though we were dire most of last season we would still expect to get a result like that.

That said starting off the first competitive game with a win is like a breath of fresh air compared to last seasons fayre, many stiffer tests ahead, done well, much more to do, a midweek bounce game and friendly in Sheffield will help settle things down and get a bit more cohesion. Best other news today is. Hibs continue to go backwards!

Encouraged... Liked Murray and Spalding's demeanour - both very animated, involved, encouraging and cajoling, taking notes and no sitting on their hands staring into the middle distance. Let's hope that scenario never materialises for them.

Opening ten minutes aside, was happy with our passing and energy - and very noticeably, when a shot was on, most times someone would take it on. Agnew looked like, and runs like, Aaron Mooy... He had a great game.

The swapping of the dugouts though? What's that all about? We came up with four possibilities:

2. Fresh start. Aware of our generally poor results at the new midden, Murray becomes the first Saints manager to make that dugout ours. Superstition again I suppose?

Any other theories?

The home one was full of shit like the stands and seats and Shull tipped him off.

That was as good as you could have expected for a team that is still short of a few players and littered with young talent. We lost an early goal, which made me worry for a bit, and then stepped it up and although we could have been sharper in the final third the tempo was very good and we passed the ball well.

I keep looking for reasons not to give Baird the starting gig at centre back and he keeps producing solid performances. Well done son.

Agnew and Carswell looked the part as did young Morgan with McMullan having some nice touches.

Thommo played better today than at any time last season so I'm not sure why some are saying he's done. Get him the service in the box and he'll score goals this season.

I'd still like a keeper, another centre back and a mobile striker with a bit of stature. Murray knows we still need players so let's see what the next fortnight brings.

Can only be happy with a win and in the hat for the next round. Wasn't there but like the noises about Agnew and Carswell having a good understanding. Hope to seem them all soon. But lets just keep it real! Its was Berwick at ours and even though we were dire most of last season we would still expect to get a result like that.

That said starting off the first competitive game with a win is like a breath of fresh air compared to last seasons fayre, many stiffer tests ahead, done well, much more to do, a midweek bounce game and friendly in Sheffield will help settle things down and get a bit more cohesion. Best other news today is. Hibs continue to go backwards!

I know and they were up against nobody.

Agnew clearly has a great dig on him. He needs to get himself forward as much as possible and shoot on sight, no point in him hanging around in deep midfield like he did in the first half.

All in all a decent day against League 2 opposition. I'm pleased Morgan started and played well, I think he might be our next big thing.

The inevitable conclusion is we are going to win the Challenge Cup.

Any other theories?

5. The dugouts are the same. Its the rest of the ground thats been switched.

Agnew reminds me of Tam Broon wee and gemme. Agreed man of the match with special mention for Morgan. He is as kwikasfuki! or is that a Japanese motorbike?

He will be hooked, he'll love it no matter the score.

Not just the match.

The atmosphere, The Pandas , Snack Bars, etc.

My wee yins first game was when she was 4.

It was the 5-1 victory over Ayr in 2012/13 in the League Cup.

She got to Hampden on 17/3/13 and seen the Open Top Bus.

Here's hoping the same for your boy. thumbup2.gif

My boy stayed the whole game, had a hot dog, met paisley panda, and says he wants to go back. He did look confused when we scored, but he wasn't alone there.

Only down side was me being unable to swear at the cock of a linesman at the west stand.

Any other theories?

It was Berwick's first visit to the new ground and they accidentally took the wrong dugouts. Murray and Spalding are far too polite and reckoned it was just easier to leave them to it.

Has to be the reason as they were in the normal dugout last week.

Happy with that. Much more positives than negatives.

Negatives.

That stupid first goal, FFS Cheesy

Howiison looked like a rich man's Thomas Reily

Thommo needs to sharpen up

Mallen a little off the pace

Positives

Thommo led the line well, was a good focus point and linked play

Morgan superb through out.

McMullan linked in well.

Agnew and two goals! (What is this shooting thing)

Baird and Kelly settled down to a good game (especially Baird)

Mclear looked lively when he came on and did well as a lone striker (even if he is a midget)

Shull looked good in the new Panda suit, but needs to get a bigger football top as it was a bit tightwhistling.gif

My boy stayed the whole game, had a hot dog, met paisley panda, and says he wants to go back. He did look confused when we scored, but he wasn't alone there.

Only down side was me being unable to swear at the cock of a linesman at the west stand.

Why, have you turned over a new leaf.

It was Berwick's first visit to the new ground and they accidentally took the wrong dugouts. Murray and Spalding are far too polite and reckoned it was just easier to leave them to it.

Has to be the reason as they were in the normal dugout last week.

We should stick with the new arrangement then. We won... Undefeated in competitive action from the right side dugout.

It's a sign!

Enjoyed the game today from my new seat in W1, decent view and no screaming weans like in the family stand.

On the game, job done, we're in the next round and that's all that mattered today really.

Thought we played some nice stuff, lots of crisp passing and the players look like a team, unlike the start of last season when we had a team full of diddies!

As previously mentioned, Morgan & Agnew stand out performers today. Agnew looked very good and definitely looks like a hidden gem. Also thought Baird looked quite composed and won a few good headers and looks to have bulked up a bit over the summer.

Looking forward to the season ahead and a few more additions we will be there or there abouts.

Brilliant Bud. thumbup2.gif

Goodwin made a difference when he came on last week did the same today

Eh???

Goodwin will be gone before the end of August.

There's a reason why he is on the bench, Ian murray doesn't rate him and would rather spend his wage elsewhere.

Yes, also hope the dug out change is permanent.

Wonder if we switched dressing rooms too?

All in all enjoyable, especially in nice summer sunshine. :holiday

No chance of changing dressing rooms - the home one is much bigger than the away one and isn't painted in a depressing colour.

Wonder why he keeps bringing Goodwin on as a sub if he wants him out? Would be easy to keep him out the team if he wanted to. Thought he did well when he came on last week and this week. I hope he starts at Ibrox.

Also, thought Thommo did ok today. He's never been the most mobile and never will be. However, I seen him out wide crossing the ball in the first half. What Thommo is and always has been for us is a penalty box striker. He should be and is focussing his energy on that.