Murray Resigns - Confirmed

TopCat

Murray had to go. However he gave it his best shot and it did not work out. But the vitriolic abuse dished out to him yesterday was sickening and embarrassing. Murray resigned and left with dignity which is more than can be said for some of our support. Just because vitriolic abuse is common does not mean it is right.

Aye, it was embarrassing, and I wish I hadn't been there to witness it.

I've said my piece on it, and won't labour the point any further.

Whoever comes in has the job of keeping us up. That's the job description, but it is far from straightforward. Aside from that, we write off yet another miserable season - the third on the trot. That suggests to me that something more radical than simply another change of manager is required to get this club back on the rails.

Listen something had to give yesterday. He was not winning games and fans have a right to boo etc and call for change. Totally. I just wasn't overly happy with two or three shouts bit overall there wasn't much to get overly upset about. It's about winning games and I remember jimmy bone getting a he'll of a lot worse.

The Board Must Think of their positions. The club needs a fresh start. Buddies are grateful for their past efforts such as the League Cup win but it is time for Stuart Gilmour to move on!

The BOD want to leave, they're perfectly clear about that.

The problem is there isn't anyone credible willing to pay for their shares and take their place.

Listen something had to give yesterday. He was not winning games and fans have a right to boo etc and call for change. Totally. I just wasn't overly happy with two or three shouts bit overall there wasn't much to get overly upset about. It's about winning games and I remember jimmy bone getting a he'll of a lot worse.

I agree with all that. Bone certainly got worse than was dished out yesterday, as did TC last season. It's not nice but it's part of the game and always have been.

Indeed, some of those who are high and mighty about yesterday's abuse weren't shy in giving it thick to TC on here this time last year.

Wasn't at the game yesterday, so don't know the full extent of the abuse levelled at Murray. In my opinion, calling him an f***ing c*** is totally out of line and unacceptable in any walk of life, but chants of, "get tae fukc" and ,"you don't know what you're doing", has to be expected from passionate Saints fans. The fans had to make their point and that's the way football crowds do it all over the country.

I'm sure the majority of refs and linesmen have experienced the same, if not worse.

My son and I froze our nuts off at Kirkcaldy a couple of weeks ago and Murray's post match comments directed at the fans spelled his end. That aside, he clearly wasn't cut out for the job.

My estimation of Murray has risen significantly though, in the fact that he resigned, rather than holding us to ransom like Tommy Craig. He's recovered a bit of dignity and it could give him a slightly better prospect of getting another job in football. The BoD should be grateful to Murray for that at least.

It is a bad time to lose your job, but hopefully he'll enjoy more time with his family over Christmas and kick on in his next career. I'm not sure it will be as a full-time football manager.

Thats the nature of the beast unfortunately, one of the more unpleasant sides of football. Not nice to see. I think society in general is more sensitive to this type of abuse nowadays whereas in the old days it was just par for the course.

What gave was but another splinter in the plank that is our club. Until new ownership is established in my opinion you can expect more splinters, some hurting more than others. We are on one of these journeys on the seas where the only highlight is when you stop spewing your seasickness over the side for a wee while.

But that's what has been due us , after a tiresome almost decade in the top of he Scottish game, we are now drifting the footballing seas at present with no means of navigation.

Murray had to go. However he gave it his best shot and it did not work out. But the vitriolic abuse dished out to him yesterday was sickening and embarrassing. Murray resigned and left with dignity which is more than can be said for some of our support. Just because vitriolic abuse is common does not mean it is right.

Ye but he may not have resigned had the support not reacted in this way. It's all relative , and rightly or wrongly , the abuse would have turned his head !

That's like the old style boo boy barracking which I mentioned before , that got rid of Wilson Humphries and Willie Cunningham ! You've got to feel for the guy as he troops of for the last time , but it shows that the core away support , quite correctly, won't stand for the crap that's been on offer for any length of time !

it shows them up as cowards actually.

its f**king embarassing.

anyone on that clip yelling crap should be feeling embarassed.

What a precious bunch our supporters are.

"Murray GTF" and "You don't know what you're doing" chants are perfectly acceptable. Unless there were other, more personal chants aimed at IM that are not captured in the above video then I fail to see the problem.

As paying customers we are perfectly entitle to give our opinion. When you have done abysmally as IM has then come out with statements like "I know better than you" then you have to accept a backlash.

The chants in the video are far from "bile". It's not like they attacked him or his fanily personally.

As I've said earlier, I don't like to see anyone lose their job, but chucking it was the right thing to do.

There is absolutely no way you would tolerate being treated like that yourself.

You are another coward.

Vitriolic abuse :snore:lol

Fans told him to get to because his time was up and he knew it.

The world has gone mad you would have thought there was an army of fans barracking him with death threats reading this post.

Hmmmm I wonder why so many parents are deciding NOT to take their kids to football matches now.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the foul mouthed entitled scumbags in the stands.

Vitriolic abuse snore.giflol.gif

Fans told him to get to because his time was up and he knew it.

The world has gone mad you would have thought there was an army of fans barracking him with death threats reading this post.

You go to your work and do your best but maybe it isn't good enough. Strangers come up to you and scream 'you are a useless c**t'. That is when the world has gone mad.

I wanted Murray to go and even if there had been total silence yesterday I believe he would have gone as he himself had implied it and there were allegations he was told Saturday was his last chance. Abusing someone you do not personally know is pathetic and embarrassing.

Aye, it was embarrassing, and I wish I hadn't been there to witness it.

I've said my piece on it, and won't labour the point any further.

Whoever comes in has the job of keeping us up. That's the job description, but it is far from straightforward. Aside from that, we write off yet another miserable season - the third on the trot. That suggests to me that something more radical than simply another change of manager is required to get this club back on the rails.

Contrast this with the treatment of Tony Fitz when he was unable to turn things around. He maintained his dignity and showed how much it affected him and the fans responded. Murray had to go and should never have been there, but the manner of his leaving was significantly affected by his lack of empathy and general demeanor. I also think that a handful of fans have vented 2 years worth of frustration in 10 minutes, it should have been directed that the board, but they were not visible and Murray copped for it.

All that being said, and not arguing over whether the abuse is justified or unfair, the situation had to change and it was never going to change if the manager got an easy ride from the fans. Everybody would have hunkered down and Murray WOULD have waited for a pay-off

Finally, to me, it is not clear if IM is leaving without some sort of package. Simply resigning pending agreement of terms, which is what his agent will have advised already, does not in itself preclude some severance discussion. IM could possibly argue a case for constructive dismissal and a deal will be done to avoid that.

Edited by beyond our ken

Contrast this with the treatment of Tony Fitz when he was unable to turn things around. He maintained his dignity and showed how much it affected him and the ans responded. Murray had to go and should never have been there, but the manner of his leaving was significantly affected by his lack of empathy and general demeanor. I also think that a handful of fans have vented 2 years worth of frustration in 10 minutes, it should have been directed that the board, but they were not visible and Murray copped for it.

All that being said, and not arguing over whether the abuse is justified or unfair, the situation had to change and it was never going to change if the manager got an easy ride from the fans. Everybody would have hunkered down and Murray WOULD have waited for a pay-off

Finally, to me, it is not clear if IM is leaving without some sort of package. Simply resigning pending agreement of terms, which is what his agent will have advised already, does not in itself preclude some severance discussion. IM could possibly argue a case for constructive dismissal and a deal will be done to avoid that.

Surely there's a way for fans to be heard that doesn't call for an outpouring of hatred and childish name calling? A protest at Greenhill Road on the night of the AGM springs to mind. Of course the manager shouldn't get an easy ride but must it come down to personal abuse?

I agree that there is possibly a pay-off due even although he resigned. Hopefully we've got enough in the petty cash to cope.

The BOD want to leave, they're perfectly clear about that.

The problem is there isn't anyone credible willing to pay for their shares and take their place.

Only the consortium want to leave, not the entire BoD. They have placed an unreasonable value on their shareholding. They used their board positions to strengthen their hold on the club over a period of years, thus stifling the chance of anyone with an alternative plan gaining some leverage.

In short, they thought they could maximise their investment and capitalise on it. Their best offers have come and gone, if IM could see the writing on the wall then why can't the board? A valuation of around half of the asking price would give them all money they never had in their accounts before, albeit less than they want or think they are due. They could also get their loans repaid and head off into the golden sunshine still comfortably wedged.

Their valuation is choking the club, 850k and a rapid repayment of their loans should be enough recompense them

Only the consortium want to leave, not the entire BoD. They have placed an unreasonable value on their shareholding. They used their board positions to strengthen their hold on the club over a period of years, thus stifling the chance of anyone with an alternative plan gaining some leverage.

In short, they thought they could maximise their investment and capitalise on it. Their best offers have come and gone, if IM could see the writing on the wall then why can't the board? A valuation of around half of the asking price would give them all money they never had in their accounts before, albeit less than they want or think they are due. They could also get their loans repaid and head off into the golden sunshine still comfortably wedged.

Their valuation is choking the club, 850k and a rapid repayment of their loans should be enough recompense them

More than enough...........

Contrast this with the treatment of Tony Fitz when he was unable to turn things around. He maintained his dignity and showed how much it affected him and the fans responded. Murray had to go and should never have been there, but the manner of his leaving was significantly affected by his lack of empathy and general demeanor. I also think that a handful of fans have vented 2 years worth of frustration in 10 minutes, it should have been directed that the board, but they were not visible and Murray copped for it.

I think there's a lot of truth in the bit in bold. The abuse may well have been stoked by our decline over the last 18 months, rather than specifically what Murray is responsible for. The layout of Dumbarton's ground also creates an opportunity for more abuse to be aimed at the manager than normal as he has to take a minute or so to cross the pitch rather than disappear down the tunnel.