St Mirren V Morton 16/4/2016 Fan Solidarity Day

We did enough to win, and Shankland's goal was a peach. It's still frustrating how poor we are at stringing passes together and how regularly the midfield fall out of games. In a home derby game it's also pretty disappointing that for our 2nd last corner of the game, with the score at 2-1 we have 2 men in the box against 7 Morton players and still launch a high cross into the box and for our next corner try having 0 men in the box and play for trying to kill time and get another corner and lose the ball within 5 seconds. Nice to see Naismith back and putting in a spirited performance and thought Goodwin got a great reception. When Gallacher was subbed for Goodie we last our best outball up front but once Carswell came on I felt that with Morgan taking on guys down the right wing and Goodie and Carswell retaining possession better, we looked a bit more cohesive. Didn't think Clarkson looked fit, and Quinn was fine but tired before being subbed.

Your midfield didn't fall out of the game at all. In case you missed it even in the seventh minute you were winning balls then launching fast counters, and that effectively won the game with Shankland's strike. Rae presumably knew that Morton would just stand off when they didn't have the ball and wouldn't do anything much when they had it, so why worry about 90 minutes of pressing?

Rae is McPherson reborn. A baldy, cantankerous little h**, and that's ok.

We ground ourselves into an established top flight side under Gus, and I think we will under Alex too.

Good.

Aye, the expectation, quite rightly, is rising.

The turnaround has been startling, especially at home.

While I wasn't a fan of McPherson he was a means to an end.............................whistling.gif

Jason Naismith. Absolutely bloody knackered but he kept going. Broke forward late on too. Great effort, well played son.

After getting booked for booting McMullan he absolutely owned him, which was both outstanding and the opposite of what you'd normally expect to happen to a fullback!

Your midfield didn't fall out of the game at all. In case you missed it even in the seventh minute you were winning balls then launching fast counters, and that effectively won the game with Shankland's strike. Rae presumably knew that Morton would just stand off when they didn't have the ball and wouldn't do anything much when they had it, so why worry about 90 minutes of pressing?

I'm speaking about over the season our midfield is either bypassed or not at the races... today Morton had more possession than we did, and it was fairly rare for our midfield to get a hold of the ball and string some passes together. I thought Morton's move for their goal was well worked, breaking at pace from one end of the park to the other, players running into space, controlling the ball quickly and sending an accurate pass to one of their own players.

We did enough to win the game today, and didn't look like losing, as much down to poor final balls and a lack of cutting edge to Morton's play as to our own brilliance!

Webster man of the match, strolled it.

My thoughts exactly. Baird is also a much improved central defender since Rae arrived.

What would be the chances of Rae tempting Denny Johnstone away from Morton ? I was impressed by him today. I thought he showed a great attitude and commitment, and he showed plenty of skill and power. Could he fill the role Thompson is about to vacate ??

Edited to add, I just noticed he is actually on loan at Morton from Birmingham City. Still, he might be tempted if AR made an enquiry about his availability.

Edited by Wilbur

Rae is McPherson reborn. A baldy, cantankerous little h**, and that's ok.

We ground ourselves into an established top flight side under Gus, and I think we will under Alex too.

Good.

To be fair, the football is better under Rae then it ever was under Gus. Also seem to not mind youth players

After getting booked for booting McMullan he absolutely owned him, which was both outstanding and the opposite of what you'd normally expect to happen to a fullback!

Same story with McMullan, boot him once and then he goes into hiding and falls out the game. Jason stuck to his task well and bounced him off the ball in the box (had a nervous glance towards Collum as you can expect the unexpected with him)

Great result. Shanks goal was a cracker. Can we keep him next year?

Jason straight back in a what a performance! Watson who?

Webster's best game for us.

Irvine still a bit hit and miss.

Mallan and Quinn some nice link up play but could not dominate in midfield

Gallacher won most of his battles out on the right, and took his goal well.

Clarkson disappointing. I thought he'd be great for us after his first game. Still not really looking match fit. Dropped deeper and deeper.

MoM Shankland. no real disasters, Agree with BHT that Cooper does not offer enough. Does not seem to dig for it, beat a man, find a man or shoot with conviction.

Goody did well. No booking on his last home game, FFS Collum.

Carswell was a bit meh.

Morgan some great touches. Seems to be able to ghost past players with ease.

It was good to see Jason Naismith back playing again. He put in a good shift and naturally tired towards. Having said I thought the whole team performed well today. By the way Keith Watson wasn't injured, all he had to do is not play in our remaining fixtures, and put pen to paper for St.Johnstone, all the details of the transfer have been sorted out.

Morton had a couple of good players i thought McKee and Russell would be a good addition to our sqad .......Go get them Alex.

Mark Russell played for St Mirren Boys club and lives in Foxbar but Morton would want too much money for him, was linked to Swansea and Sunderland at the end of last season.

Remember that game against Morton at Love St. After waiting till the bitter end of the 0-5 thrashing, left to find the frogmobile parked in Cartvale St had been broken into and valuables stolen. Rounded off the evening nicely !Didn't realise that was the last league defeat from the `Ton though. Like a previous poster, I feel another is due this weekend and that we will finish below them for once, not that it particularly matters in an otherwise dreadful season.On another topic, was interested to hear our manager speak on both radio and tv this week, and enthuse about the Scottish Cup semi this weekend. Pity he wasn't as committed to trying to scrape us out of a home tie in the first round. Still, he will have been cheered that his old team got a last minute winner against someone last weekend, lol.

Ha f**kin ha (not what happened to your car but your desire to see Saints struggle) same old bullshit again proven to be wrong. The more you keep predicting St Mirren defeats the more we keep winning. For your sake I hope the team you really support wins tomorrow, but who really cares?

Edited by scottd