EXPECTATIONS !

Being a buddie is fun these days... hearing views and arguing points on the forum stirs up many emotions. 

A couple of weeks back there were folk fearing Dumbarton would beat us and others saying getting a draw there would be a good result.

Then up at Aberdeen (2nd best team in Scotland) a number of folk were "expecting" us to beat them... or at least get a replay.

With our attacking set-up, I have been expecting us to score even more goals many weeks, but winning this league was a dream most of us never had high expectations of at the start of this season... Now I think it is a whole lot different.

Every player that has played has contributed something positive I feel. Stelios gets a pounding for last weekend - he did cost us 2 goals, but also pinched the ball and laid it off to Morgan whose shot led to Reilly's goal too - and in the Dumbarton game, his cross was perfect for Smith to finish...and we had a number of clean sheets with him in the defence...

We have an above average squad for the Championship. A number of players who are better than most others in this league and overall we are doing the business which makes it likely that we will be champions. (Are we not now favourites?)

No single game will decide at this stage but we play Dunfermline this Friday and later on at  home, and Utd in what are the 3 biggest  matches on paper... but other points can be dropped along the way. (Like Utd managed against Brechin previously)

We are in pole position - Utd have a bigger squad and 5 new guys in this window.  Given that Morgan stays, and Mullen was here already; our additions are Flynn, Hill and  with the possibility of Todd returning from injury (will seem like an addition to the squad too), we should be more together and we have been carrying the momentum recently..

How many of us really expect us to win this league? How many think we will be in the play-offs? What factors might alter your expectations (other than the obvious)? Will Jack manage to get one more player in before the window shuts? Are you like me looking forward to seeing players competing for their place in this winning team with these additions - surely we are a good bit stronger already? Winning Friday and Utd failing to win would be fantastic....

I certainly didn't expect us to win the league this year, however, based on our performances in the final third (or thereabouts) of last season, I'm not entirely surprised that we are sitting top just now.

I think there are a good few twists to play out before this campaign is over. I don't fancy play-offs as my arse is already starting to make buttons, but would have bitten your hand off at the start of the season if offered this.

Whatever else happens, it is now critical that we get fully behind the management team and the players. There will be setbacks, and we certainly need to manage our expectations, but our support will be a big factor for what remains of the season.

Every game is huge for us now. What I expect is that every player gives his all. In return, they'll have my backing all the way. I think there should be a weight of expectation on the support in terms of demonstrating that we are worthy as a whole of the plaudits that 600 of our number deservedly received after Saturday.

I was convinced we would win the League after the first quarter , nothing has happened to disabuse me of that idea as I'm convinced that Jack is the man for the job.

I really don't think we have anything to worry about as far as Dundee Divided is concerned , if you still think we have , I would suggest listening Laszlo's interview after the Falkirk debacle. .

The last time we got promoted we topped the League in October and never looked back but if you look at the stats on that one you will see that wee Anxious drew his way to be League Champions . This time around there will be far more wins . . We Are On Our Way. .

It is good to be a Buddie. .

Having high expectations that we might win the league achieves nothing.  Simply put - there are too many games to play. Only focus and hard work plus a rub of the green can make it happen.

I am old enough to remember going to Fir Park for a cup game where 10,000 or more Saint's Fans (including me) turned up expecting our then old First Division team to turn over Motherwell.

We didn't. We lost 2:1. Motherwell were physically stronger and more experienced. The manager and team learned from the defeat and kicked on. 

Somewhat like the present position post the Aberdeen match where perhaps too much negativity followed the game but did serve to bring us back to earth with a bump.

Can we do it? Of course it is possible. After all we are top of the league.

As a fan, all I can do is believe that it is possible, give support both home and away and hope!

Edited by St.Ricky

My expectations were to achieve a play-off place, this was based on our league form from the end of last season. Credit to Jack and the players, they have kept the momentum going this season. We now find ourselves in a much happier and better place. There is still a lot of hard work ahead if we are to achieve the aims of everyone. Like many I have witnessed St.Mirren doing things the hard way and there will be a few more twists and turns over the coming months. Just now we are in pole position and hopefully we will stay there. So my expectation for the remainder of the season is to keep doing what we are currently doing.

I thought we had a decent chance of winning the league this season given the strong finish we had to last season. I'm fully aware that nothing is won in January, but we've given ourselves a really good chance of the title this year.

Keep on keeping on. 

Prior to the season starting I felt a playoff place would would be classed as a successful season. Since that had surely been achieved I would say the season had been a success regardless if we win the league. I do think we will need to win the league to go up since I just feel we would fail in a playoff.

10 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Prior to the season starting I felt a playoff place would would be classed as a successful season. Since that had surely been achieved I would say the season had been a success regardless if we win the league. I do think we will need to win the league to go up since I just feel we would fail in a playoff.

Why? :blink:

IMO there's nothing to suggest we couldn't win against the team from the top league, apart from the amount of games we would have toplay is heavily weighted for the team from the top league.

Bit of a no point issue at this stage, plenty water to flow under the bridge before the end of the season. 

I was convinced we would win the League after the first quarter , nothing has happened to disabuse me of that idea as I'm convinced that Jack is the man for the job.
I really don't think we have anything to worry about as far as Dundee Divided is concerned , if you still think we have , I would suggest listening Laszlo's interview after the Falkirk debacle. .
The last time we got promoted we topped the League in October and never looked back but if you look at the stats on that one you will see that wee Anxious drew his way to be League Champions . This time around there will be far more wins . . We Are On Our Way. .

It is good to be a Buddie. .
Gus's team finished on 7 draws which is only 3 more than Jack's is currently on. He only had 6 losses which is only 2 more than Jack's is on.

If you look at that table from 2005/6 you will realise it was all the other teams drawing with each other that helped us win.

As you say we are on our way!!

I thought at the start of the season we were in with a good chance of automatic promotion as we had the same manager and a similar squad to the one who had been the 2nd best form team from February until May. I also thought that if Dundee United got off to a slow start that the pressure would be on Ray McKinnon and United. We still have a long way to go. United's game in hand is away to Queen of the South. They have 15 games left to make up 9 points on us to win the automatic promotion place, and have Paul McMullan as one of their main attacking threats!

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

IMO there's nothing to suggest we couldn't win against the team from the top league, apart from the amount of games we would have toplay is heavily weighted for the team from the top league.

Bit of a no point issue at this stage, plenty water to flow under the bridge before the end of the season. 

I think his point is based on previous play off results against Premiership teams Hamilton beat Utd last year over 2 legs; Kilmarnock beat Falkirk 4  v 1  over 2 legs the previous year:  Motherwell horsed Rangers  6 v 1 the year before - so results show it is tough for the Championship sides

But who knows, law of averages and are we or Utd better than previous 2nd place teams...  Let's just win the league - no extra games... time to rest and built the new squad and off to a flyer...

Between now and the end of the season we shall drop points.

Between now and the end of the season Dundee Utd shall drop points.

This rollercoaster is not finished yet, we have however come through a difficult run of games and we sit atop the pile with a bit to spare.  This team has shown a bit of resilience and fairly good ability going forward.  Catching us is a huge task for Dundee Utd, I don't think they are up to it.  Friday's game is a big un, win it and Dundee Utd receive a kick in the plums, win it and Dundee Utd have to beat Dunfermline when next they meet (not an easy task).  That's where we are now, every week is huge, keep winning and Dundee Utd will melt away, it is in our hands, we can do this, we really can.  I forsee premier league football next season under the Championship winners flag at Paisley.  Big game on Friday folks, big game

2 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Between now and the end of the season we shall drop points.

Between now and the end of the season Dundee Utd shall drop points.

This rollercoaster is not finished yet, we have however come through a difficult run of games and we sit atop the pile with a bit to spare.  This team has shown a bit of resilience and fairly good ability going forward.  Catching us is a huge task for Dundee Utd, I don't think they are up to it.  Friday's game is a big un, win it and Dundee Utd receive a kick in the plums, win it and Dundee Utd have to beat Dunfermline when next they meet (not an easy task).  That's where we are now, every week is huge, keep winning and Dundee Utd will melt away, it is in our hands, we can do this, we really can.  I forsee premier league football next season under the Championship winners flag at Paisley.  Big game on Friday folks, big game

Not sure that Utd will melt away, but so long as we maintain a decent lead, it will be a tall order for them, provided we keep the train on the track...

I have no idea what has happened to them though - on paper they had what looked like the strongest squad and no doubt the biggest budget.. (Of course recently they have had 2 bad injuries - but they were not on it fully before that).

Dunfermline are a chunk further back - so not allowing them to gain on us this Friday will potentially place them out of the running to win the league.. I think they are already fighting Utd for 2nd. Utd have a smaller chance of fighting us for 1st. - but it could swing with a couple of bad results..

Hoping the bounce back from bad results kicks in this Friday - provided we win or if we draw and Utd don't get any better than a draw, psychologically and points wise we will remain well ahead.

13 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Why :blink:  It is just my opinion that the defence is not strong enough due to lack of support from the midfield, but that opinion may change if the new players do a better job of supporting the defence.

Well as supporters of the rollercoaster that is us, do we take anything for granted.... I think yes............... Our promotions 1977. 2005 and 1999 just felt like this season, we had managers who just geared us for success at this level............... As we know to well, we can get there but can we actually progress the club to where we truly feel we are capable of ( top 6).......

Jack believed last year we would stay up- how many after his first 5 games believed like he did?

Jack believed we would be Champions this year , again how many dared to dream...........

Its quite a head of steam Jack has created, we now have  a fortress at 2021, I fully expect us to win every game at home that's potentially another 21 points. Even if we get 10 points away that's it done and dusted.

I feel we will win League by match 33....... and yes we may well have some downers, United, Pars away.....................   And there is the United factor. Yes they beat Alloa, but by all accounts from their own supporters the manager has lost it, playing players in daft positions, apparently they have 4 left backs in the team( mind u we have 6 Centre Forwards :D)

We are 15 points ahead of Pars, they are not chasing us, they are chasing United, and there is more pressure on United to maintain 2 nd than there is us 1st.............

Not being complacent but as we all know Saints, even when we struggled every year in the Premier, we always bar ,2014, pulled it out the bag, and 2014- 2016 for me were close to the Save the Saints days................  the lowest part of the roller ride...........

We tend to see it thru, its a thrilling, clenching way, but I just feel with Reilly, Smith, McGinn, Morgan, Davis, and McGinnes we just have to much talent for any other team in this league.........

In saying all this I would happily take a point against Pars and United away, but Jack will set up to win both games.......

Jack will be a top manager within the next few years so lets make the most of his tenure. The boy will go far, maybe all the way like another young manager that joined us and then transformed us

I expected us to win the league at the start of the season and nothing has changed my mind on that. 

Dundee Utd have a marginally better squad on paper IMO but only marginally which means FA in the grand scheme of things.  We've had a stable squad for 12 months now and the 2nd best manager in the country so I am confident we will last the pace.

On the criticism of Stellios - he has been an importan player of our team this year and I rate him highly however he had 2 howlers on Saturday and deserves the criticism for it. Doesnt mean hes a bad player or not good enough etc, just means he had a bad game, got criticised and now we move on.

Edited by LargsBud

Biggest issue with expectations is managing them. I'm pleasantly surprised we are where we are but being of a certain age, this season is not giving me the confidence I felt in either the Hendrie or Gus league winning seasons.  I don't for some reason seem to have the same faith this time round that we are going to see this through. I'm not saying we won't it's just a nagging gut feeling I have had all season that we seem to be doing better than the sum of our parts (which of course in itself is a good thing).  I don't even have a logical reason for this it's just a gut feeling. On thinking why I can only put it down to the numerous years of abject misery over the last while has slightly tainted me.  I hope we see it through and we have given ourselves a real chance.  Question is would a play-off from this position feel like a boot in the baws, answer probably yes and that would probably go for the players too so we really need to put everything into the next 3 months or so to see us over the line. Friday is huge, a game for all sorts of reasons we really need not to lose. A win would be collosal in so many ways but a point would be no disaster in the bigger picture.

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Biggest issue with expectations is managing them. I'm pleasantly surprised we are where we are but being of a certain age, this season is not giving me the confidence I felt in either the Hendrie or Gus league winning seasons.  I don't for some reason seem to have the same faith this time round that we are going to see this through. I'm not saying we won't it's just a nagging gut feeling I have had all season that we seem to be doing better than the sum of our parts (which of course in itself is a good thing).  I don't even have a logical reason for this it's just a gut feeling. On thinking why I can only put it down to the numerous years of abject misery over the last while has slightly tainted me.  I hope we see it through and we have given ourselves a real chance.  Question is would a play-off from this position feel like a boot in the baws, answer probably yes and that would probably go for the players too so we really need to put everything into the next 3 months or so to see us over the line. Friday is huge, a game for all sorts of reasons we really need not to lose. A win would be collosal in so many ways but a point would be no disaster in the bigger picture.

Tell me any team in the world that doesn't have relative ups and downs, maybe football is a wee bit scary for you

Maybe we are just from different schools, but I support to believe that there is a plan and players to do something. Mate we are 8 points clear.  Who the hell is thinking about a play off - are u Elvis??

How is your gut feeling on Nuclear War, Global Warming, Trump and the Sun exploding soon.................... Never heard of the terminology glass quarter full before?

But as they say in the Big Lebowski- " That's only your opinion man "

Image result for big lebowski

59 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The Gus league winning season, was really seasons as he carefully built us up to stay in the top league, quite often at the expense of playing football. But he achieved stability and got to a cup final we would rather regret.

Hendrie was the classic one-trick pony manager. We cantered to the league title that season as no one could match the physical presence of Basher & Yardley and our spine. However the final game at ICT after winning the league was an early warning fir the following seadon upstairs where the manager was found out as to his overall capabilities. We were gash that season!

what i will give you is the early warnings a lot on here are in denial about, that being any Premiership team we have played since the summer (4), regardless of which end of the league they compete at have horsed us off the park. If you are awake to that fact you can see we have much inferior quality and experience throughout our current squad (with a number of touted summer signings haven now been shown the door through either termination or loan to lower league) compared to a Dundee, Thistle or County never mind Aberdeen.

it will take yet again a significant overhaul of the current squad in the summer to build a team capable of surviving up there. Just look at who we had in our squad last time we were there. Thommo, Goody, Teale, Dummett, Goncalves, Gowser, Carey, Newton, Imrie, Cheesy, McLean, McGinn etc... thats reality!

6 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Not sure that Utd will melt away, but so long as we maintain a decent lead, it will be a tall order for them, provided we keep the train on the track...

I have no idea what has happened to them though - on paper they had what looked like the strongest squad and no doubt the biggest budget.. (Of course recently they have had 2 bad injuries - but they were not on it fully before that).

Dunfermline are a chunk further back - so not allowing them to gain on us this Friday will potentially place them out of the running to win the league.. I think they are already fighting Utd for 2nd. Utd have a smaller chance of fighting us for 1st. - but it could swing with a couple of bad results..

Hoping the bounce back from bad results kicks in this Friday - provided we win or if we draw and Utd don't get any better than a draw, psychologically and points wise we will remain well ahead.

Well it's all about opinions.

On paper we have an easier run of games over the next 4 weeks (excluding Dunfermline on Friday), if we were to get 12 points from the next four I would anticipate that Dundee Utd would slip further behind and perhaps out of the running.  It is a tall order but perfectly achievable.  A good run of results now could see us knock the competition out.  We dont often do things the easy way right enough, be nice if we could for once!!!!

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

The Gus league winning season, was really seasons as he carefully built us up to stay in the top league, quite often at the expense of playing football. But he achieved stability and got to a cup final we would rather regret.

Hendrie was the classic one-trick pony manager. We cantered to the league title that season as no one could match the physical presence of Basher & Yardley and our spine. However the final game at ICT after winning the league was an early warning fir the following seadon upstairs where the manager was found out as to his overall capabilities. We were gash that season!

what i will give you is the early warnings a lot on here are in denial about, that being any Premiership team we have played since the summer (4), regardless of which end of the league they compete at have horsed us off the park. If you are awake to that fact you can see we have much inferior quality and experience throughout our current squad (with a number of touted summer signings haven now been shown the door through either termination or loan to lower league) compared to a Dundee, Thistle or County never mind Aberdeen.

it will take yet again a significant overhaul of the current squad in the summer to build a team capable of surviving up there. Just look at who we had in our squad last time we were there. Thommo, Goody, Teale, Dummett, Goncalves, Gowser, Carey, Newton, Imrie, Cheesy, McLean, McGinn etc... thats reality!

Put yourself in Jack Ross's boots its May we have won the league what players are you going to let go so the squad in your terms can compete ? 

6 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Well it's all about opinions.

On paper we have an easier run of games over the next 4 weeks (excluding Dunfermline on Friday), if we were to get 12 points from the next four I would anticipate that Dundee Utd would slip further behind and perhaps out of the running.  It is a tall order but perfectly achievable.  A good run of results now could see us knock the competition out.  We dont often do things the easy way right enough, be nice if we could for once!!!!

It is about opinions at this stage, but like you I believe the next month could see us stretch our lead, just hope we don't lose ground before extending it