Heart of Midlothian v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 23/12/23

shull

10 hours ago, W6er said:

Ach, I cannae believe I thought we'd get something today. So much for optimism. I'm now disappointed. @elvis, I will be taking a leaf out of you book. Expect nothing. EVER! :( 

In life I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy.

When it comes to St. Mirren and Scotland however I'm a "glass half empty" fella.

I go along to support my local team and savour the good times and accept the bad times. It's a football game at the end of the day, other things are important.  It's disappointing for an evening or so then it's back to optimism for the next fixture.

It's the hope that kills you and my Dad has always said "supporting St. Mirren is character building".

3 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

In life I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy.

When it comes to St. Mirren and Scotland however I'm a "glass half empty" fella.

I go along to support my local team and savour the good times and accept the bad times. It's a football game at the end of the day, other things are important.  It's disappointing for an evening or so then it's back to optimism for the next fixture.

It's the hope that kills you and my Dad has always said "supporting St. Mirren is character building".

Great post, sir.

St Mirren drive me mental, still got to love them though, the bassas.

3 hours ago, shull said:

I shall repeat.

Our Club since 1877 has caused mostly misery for the supporters.

There has a few glorious times throughout the many decades which makes up for the pish .

Many times the team builds us up then boots us all in the baws.

Elvis knows the score and speaks honestly and realistically.

Most of the rest of us get carried away with the hype

Hear, hear! 👏

The post by Balmullo Bud pretty much sums up my view. I'd just add that SR's post-match comments were treading a fine line between giving an honest summary of the game and trying to keep our players' confidence up. He mentioned the gaps in quality and budget between the sides and indicated that he was looking for one of the strikers to start scoring regularly. Gave the impression that he was revolving the starting strikers to see if someone could seize the jersey, as has been mentioned on here.

On to Wednesday and we need to get a big crowd into the ground, as Killie will surely bring a decent support given their recent run of form. So, as always.......

COYS!!

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The forum member you replied to had watched the full 90 minutes yet you refute his version on a 5 min (approx) highlight reel? :lol:

I didn't refute what he wrote. I stated:

'I didn't see the game; I have only seen the Sportscene highlights. However, it certainly appeared that we were the worse team, so I appreciate what you have written.'

The highlights appeared to show a one-sided game, but clearly didn't reflect the full 90 mins; I therefore appreciated @Swiss_Saint's post. :) 

7 minutes ago, W6er said:

I didn't refute what he wrote. I stated:

'I didn't see the game; I have only seen the Sportscene highlights. However, it certainly appeared that we were the worse team, so I appreciate what you have written.'

The highlights appeared to show a one-sided game, but clearly didn't reflect the full 90 mins; I therefore appreciated @Swiss_Saint's post. :) 

The "worse team" when everything, stats and sensible posts, clearly indicated there was nothing between both teams? 🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The "worse team" when everything, stats and sensible posts, clearly indicated there was nothing between both teams? 🤣🤣🤣

Aye, that's how it appeared from the Sportscene highlights.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and to @antrin, @shull, @ALBIONSAINT, @Albanian Buddy, @pondsman, @Swiss_Saint, @BigYardsAndBasher, @elvis, @Slarti, @munoz, @djchapsticks, @St.Ricky, @DougJamie...and to everyone else, too (I was just seeing how many usernames I could remember without looking). 👍 

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Luckily, we have you elvis. The man who is never wrong !

Feel free to tell the manager where he is going wrong. Just a wee phone call from you is all that's required to put him/us back on the winning trail. You are surely our Messiah, and not a very naughty boy after all.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

@elvis may be on negative repeat most weeks, but I’m afraid this post is bollocks. 

It suggests that in order to have an opinion, Elvis needs to be a football manager?? He is a paying customer and as such is entitled to a view.

If you paid to go to a fancy restaurant and your food was shite, would you refuse to complain because you’re not a chef?

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Really?

I would suggest most of their chances were the result of individual errors by our players.

Maybe you were hiding behind the couch when Gogic had a header well saved by their keeper? 

The stats, which are kind of facts, all suggest there wasn't much between the teams.

The forum member you replied to had watched the full 90 minutes yet you refute his version on a 5 min (approx) highlight reel? :lol:

Again, we never looked like winning but I don't share the gloom, as we could easily have had a point.

There's no doubt it's all about points, which I suggested earlier in the season when we were picking up points, sometimes not always deserved so our current run is a concern but I would be more concerned if we were really out of games. (The Dundee game apart)

I would also suggest we are, as a club, more used to being involved in avoiding relegation, last season apart, which should be remembered. 

I normally agree with your fairly balanced post match assessments, but not this week.

I thought we were terrible, particularly in the second half. For me, the stats belie the ease with which Hearts won the game. I held out very little hope of us getting back into the game at 1-0 and zero hope once it went to 2.

the quality of our passing and particularly crossing was absolutely woeful. 

Someone said we lost due to a mistake and a moment of sheer quality. Are those not generally the types of things that separate two teams and mean that one is better than the other, with that team usually winning the game? 

2 hours ago, pondsman said:

The post by Balmullo Bud pretty much sums up my view. I'd just add that SR's post-match comments were treading a fine line between giving an honest summary of the game and trying to keep our players' confidence up. He mentioned the gaps in quality and budget between the sides and indicated that he was looking for one of the strikers to start scoring regularly. Gave the impression that he was revolving the starting strikers to see if someone could seize the jersey, as has been mentioned on here.

On to Wednesday and we need to get a big crowd into the ground, as Killie will surely bring a decent support given their recent run of form. So, as always.......

COYS!!

Makes sense to me and hope for a 7,000 plus crowd at what will be our last home game of 2023 with us sitting in the top six. 

Robbo hinted at a shake up in selection and that he had been perhaps too loyal - I think we are losing the midfield battle in too many games and I wouldn’t be against giving Bolton a chance and pushing Gogic into middle of the park. Would go with Ayunga and Olusanya up top with Ohara playing more forward. Right hand side is a concern though as we are missing Strain badly and having to play guys out of position.

Game v Killie is now massive so let’s get behind the team and hopefully we can get back on track with 3 points.0£

31 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I normally agree with your fairly balanced post match assessments, but not this week.

I thought we were terrible, particularly in the second half. For me, the stats belie the ease with which Hearts won the game. I held out very little hope of us getting back into the game at 1-0 and zero hope once it went to 2.

the quality of our passing and particularly crossing was absolutely woeful. 

Someone said we lost due to a mistake and a moment of sheer quality. Are those not generally the types of things that separate two teams and mean that one is better than the other, with that team usually winning the game? 

The 2nd half we created our 2 best chances. 

As for your last paragraph you should know there's more to it than that. 

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The 2nd half we created our 2 best chances. 

As for your last paragraph you should know there's more to it than that. 

Just for absolutely clarity re my last paragraph, I mean “on the day”. Shankland was a difference maker on the day. We have no one that can do what he does on such a regular basis. That’s not to say Hearts are generally “better” than us. Shankland played and barely got a sniff when we beat them 1-0 at our place. 
But yesterday, in my humble opinion, Hearts were comfortably better than us and fully deserved to win the game. 
And re the “chances” we had, we can create as many chances as we like (we didn’t though), but without the type of composure shown by the likes of Shankland, we won’t score many goals. 
By the way, (and I’m honestly not being facetious), can you remind me what those two best chances were? I’m thinking the sclaffed shot by Small that was blocked by an defender and the speculative looping header by Gogic which Clark saved comfortably? I could name at least 4 great chances Hearts had in that second half (mainly due to defensive calamities) which would have more than cancelled out any half chances we had. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Just for absolutely clarity re my last paragraph, I mean “on the day”. Shankland was a difference maker on the day. We have no one that can do what he does on such a regular basis. That’s not to say Hearts are generally “better” than us. Shankland played and barely got a sniff when we beat them 1-0 at our place. 
But yesterday, in my humble opinion, Hearts were comfortably better than us and fully deserved to win the game. 
And re the “chances” we had, we can create as many chances as we like (we didn’t though), but without the type of composure shown by the likes of Shankland, we won’t score many goals. 
By the way, (and I’m honestly not being facetious), can you remind me what those two best chances were? I’m thinking the sclaffed shot by Small that was blocked by an defender and the speculative looping header by Gogic which Clark saved comfortably? I could name at least 4 great chances Hearts had in that second half (mainly due to defensive calamities) which would have more than cancelled out any half chances we had. 

There's no doubt Shankland is a different class to any of our strikers, despite some of our support still failing to see that, and as such teams with a striker of that class can turn draws into wins, as we did earlier in the season.

Aberdeen also have a boy who is a goal scorer.

Does it make Hearts and Aberdeen better teams, not to me as there's more to having one guy who knows where the net is. 

Aye, those were our chances and Smalls effort was cleared off the line. I would say it was a decent save from Gogics header, not that I'm trying to overstate them. 

Yeah, they had chances late on due to us doing our best to gift them another goal and we were chasing the game.

12 hours ago, W6er said:

Aye, well the St. Mirren podcast is aptly named:

https://miseryhunters.co.uk/

I'd rather be a Misery Hunter than a glory hunter, and when we do pull off a result - e.g. winning a trophy, or more recently beating Celtic 2-0 last season, beating Rangers in the League Cup with a last minute winner, it's very sweet. Expect nothing, savour the good times. :) 

You get it, just sit back and enjoy the ride!