The Goodwin mystery

I am hearing from a source,( who is an official staff at another club in our division I cant name him obviously but he doesn't have an axe to grind with either party)"  ,that there are some very serious claims being made about the relationship between Goodwin and Rae.

I am only the messenger but when my source was quizzed about he said, "lets just say it was personal,I daren't say any more'

I don't know any more can anyone shed any light?

Who cares, he's found his level in the seaside leagues. There's a reason why he's at Alloa.

A cup winning captain, who done an good job, but then proceeded to let the team down with ridiculous retrospective bans during our relegation season, and the completely inability to tread the disciplinary line when he did play, never mind his complete failings at coaching. People cheered when he came off the bench, and ploughed into a player unnecessarily, got booked, then could do nothing the rest of the game. Potentially the most overrated player in recent memory.

He was done, he's gone, but yet he's becoming a better player every passing week.

Gc Smfc what a lot of garbage. Prior to his injury jim was ian Murrays best player. Fact. He too tried to bin him but realised v quickly he couldn't. The problem is rae needs a jim Goodwin right now and it amazed me he allowed him to go. At 34 he had another year easy in him. The team now has no midfield. Mallan tries but he nit naturally defensive

36 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Who cares, he's found his level in the seaside leagues. There's a reason why he's at Alloa.

A cup winning captain, who done an good job, but then proceeded to let the team down with ridiculous retrospective bans during our relegation season, and the completely inability to tread the disciplinary line when he did play, never mind his complete failings at coaching. People cheered when he came off the bench, and ploughed into a player unnecessarily, got booked, then could do nothing the rest of the game. Potentially the most overrated player in recent memory.

He was done, he's gone, but yet he's becoming a better player every passing week.

Are you Alex Rae??? Goody is missed big time. You obviously don't get to many home games to see the problems at st mirren. You need direction on the pitch as well as from the sidelines. Rae made a mistake not keeping goodwin. But as usual goody did not get on with a manager

Let me see. Goody injured from October November till March Rae only there since December 15th and in a short time goody causing problems. Goody caused probs for every manager apparently. I think all these managers felt threatened by Jim because he new what was wrong with the tactics and maybe just maybe some would still be manager if they had not been so far up their self to listen to the team captain.

Also Jim had cut the bad not image at least 1.5 years ago.

19 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Also Jim had cut the bad not image at least 1.5 years ago.

Maybe if he'd done that after punching Steve Jennings or elbowing Stuart Armstrong or Aidan Connolly, then he might still be at the club. Who can say?

I liked Goodwin, but far too often he made crazy decisions on the park.

I thought the time was right for him to move on to be replaced by a newer model. However, that newer model has failed to appear.

Edited by FTOF

WOW just wow !

I agreed with much of what he said (gc SMFC), although he did lose it a bit when claiming Jim was the most overrated player of recent times.[emoji38]

For a player who had limited passing ability and general tactical awareness, and didn't contribute much for two seasons, he's talked as if he was one of the greatest holding players we've had.

He did have a couple of decent seasons with better players around him but there was a massive drop in form which everyone ignores. Never mind his disciplinary record and coaching ability...

Running about and clattering players doesn't make a good defensive player. He was awful for leaving massive spaces for the opposition to exploit when he decided to chase the ball no matter where it was.

Thomson and Murray where much better midfielders in their prime than what Goodwin ever was.

From Rae coming in to the end of the season he (Goodwin) started no games and came on as a sub in 6. Our midfield in the latter part of the season wasn't as bad as this season. The issue isn't Jim Goodwin, it's the players in there now are not performing. 

Edited by flyingscot

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The issue for me isn't that we let Goodwin go (it was the right decision even though he could potentially have given us another decent year), it's the fact that we haven't only not adequately replaced him, we haven't replaced him whatsoever in any shape or form. 

Was always going to be a problem replacing him.

How many opposition fans have said over the years ah that Jim is a dirty b'stard but we someone like him in our midfield. Players like Jim are a rare breed these days. 

9 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

So far we've established an un-named source at an un-named Championship club has claimed there were serious claims about Rae and Goodwin having personal issues between them. But don't quote me on that.

And FFS dont ask for ANY details whatsoever because the official secrets act has been signed and people just might die if word got out. 

I cant believe that in 2016 grown adults are still playing this "in the know" pish.