Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

18 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Croatian centre back Ricardo Bagadur currently training with us, could sign this week. Thoughts....

saw clips of him on youtube and also of Alfie Jones , both seem quite similar and footballing central defenders who can carry the ball and make a pass , can see us playing against the better teams with three central defenders .

Also I don't think many teams will bully us this season as we seem well capable of putting a team on the pitch that can look after itself .

A bit of pace up front and we,ve got quite a decent squad.

Edited by MenstrieSaint
spelling

57 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

saw clips of him on youtube and also of Alfie Jones , both seem quite similar and footballing central defenders who can carry the ball and make a pass , can see us playing against the better teams with three central defenders .

Also I don't think many teams will bully us this season as we seem well capable of putting a team on the pitch that can look after itself .

Yep - agree with all of that. Pace is the missing ingredient for me...

On 8/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, Drew said:

It is a slightly worrying trend from the perspective of the domestic game and the development of home grown players.

What concerns me is that this is happening against a backdrop of clubs closing down their youth academies.

Are we going back to the days of the influx of mediocre, non-Scottish players being favoured over the development of lads brought through from the grassroots?

Maybe it will mean youth taking the route of playing for lower league teams after moving through the boys clubs like it used to be, getting their experience that way before being snapped up by the bigger clubs for a fee, which would be no bad thing. The likes of Rangers and Celtic especially have an enormous amount of young boys on their books, almost all of whom are stifled there, before being released for not being big enough. Andy Robertson for one, Lewis Morgan another.

As long we still have boys playing football then hopefully players will still come through. That's the difficult part though as clubs like ours do a lot of work in the community coaching kids. Interesting times ahead, hopefully kids aren't put off the game.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:51 PM, Wilbur said:

How I long for the golden era when senior teams could build a formidable first X1 that could hold their own in the top league built from recruits from the likes of Johnstone Burgh, Cambuslang Rangers, Cumbernauld United, Shettleston and Baillieston Juniors.

Old-fartedness can still be enjoyable.

so long as one is not indoors; yes :lol:

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

Maybe it will mean youth taking the route of playing for lower league teams after moving through the boys clubs like it used to be, getting their experience that way before being snapped up by the bigger clubs for a fee, which would be no bad thing. The likes of Rangers and Celtic especially have an enormous amount of young boys on their books, almost all of whom are stifled there, before being released for not being big enough. Andy Robertson for one, Lewis Morgan another.

As long we still have boys playing football then hopefully players will still come through. That's the difficult part though as clubs like ours do a lot of work in the community coaching kids. Interesting times ahead, hopefully kids aren't put off the game.

Over here my local is the Galatea it's the Celtic supporters pub & St Mirren they tell me :D. They were well impressed with the game he played said he changed the game. Morgan is currently injured they seem genuinely excited by him looking forward to seeing him in the team. This from season tickèt holders. 

55 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Over here my local is the Galatea it's the Celtic supporters pub & St Mirren they tell me :D. They were well impressed with the game he played said he changed the game. Morgan is currently injured they seem genuinely excited by him looking forward to seeing him in the team. This from season tickèt holders. 

Celtic supporters getting excited about anything makes me want to puke.

5 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Any more signings and I can see us playing with 5 central defenders and 5 sitting midfielders! 

14 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Come on Stubbs bring in a wide player and another striker. I was chatting to an ICT fan who is convinced its a done deal for Polworth

A Saints player part of the deal is not prepared to take a pay cut that is stopping the deal going through for the moment reported on this forum somewhere.  

Souleymane Coulibaly worth a look?
Currently training with Partick Thistle but would still be a good player at this level IMO - main issue is that he’s not played a competitive match for about a year.. 

It seems that he may have to pay a £1 million fine to his former club before he can sign for a new club!

I’d have thought that if he was a straight forward free agent then a few clubs would be interested.

16 hours ago, HSS said:

What difference does it make if its from season ticket fans or pay at the gate fans?

No difference

Both probably tap the their feet while the sectarian songs are being sung.

Or maybe even join in the singing. ( at a Scottish Footbalj Match )

Reports this morning saying clubs are queuing up to take Jim Kellerman on loan. Consensus seems to be that he's got potential but needs game time that we can't give him (that's the soundtrack to this summer, right enough).

Assuming there's no point sending him back to the level he came from, ideally I'd like to see him go no lower than the top end of the Championship. Thistle, Falkirk, Ross County or ICT would be ideal. He might prefer central belt given he's just relocated from the south of England.

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

A Saints player part of the deal is not prepared to take a pay cut that is stopping the deal going through for the moment reported on this forum somewhere.  

I assume that McShane only has 1 year left and ICT can't be offering him drastically less than what he was getting here - albeit he may have had a bump for promotion. 

If we're really haggling over that little a difference and it's a done deal otherwise then surely this will go through soon. We've got money in the bank so a small pay off to get an unwanted player gone and a higher quality player in,  all in one swoop -  get it done. 

We're certainly going to be heavy with midfielders but good competition for places if we get Polwarth to add to McGinn, Jones, Willock, Magennis and Flynn. 

Come on Stubbzo - geez a wee Friday signing to set us up for the weekend! :D

4 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Reports this morning saying clubs are queuing up to take Jim Kellerman on loan. Consensus seems to be that he's got potential but needs game time that we can't give him (that's the soundtrack to this summer, right enough).

Assuming there's no point sending him back to the level he came from, ideally I'd like to see him go no lower than the top end of the Championship. Thistle, Falkirk, Ross County or ICT would be ideal. He might prefer central belt given he's just relocated from the south of England.

Spotted this mentioned in a tweet last night that Scottish and English clubs were queuing up for him. I wonder where they got that from?! I'd also like to think he'd go to someone in the Championship if we're looking to loan him out. That way we can keep a close eye on him and can relate a bit more to his performance levels rather than him going back down south.   

Can English clubs even still sign loan players even though their transfer window is closed? I assumed that it would be Scottish only after the transfer deadline.

It also seems that the talk last week of someone (King?) going back down south didn't happen and hasn't been mentioned since. 

2 minutes ago, Maboza said:

It also seems that the talk last week of someone (King?) going back down south didn't happen and hasn't been mentioned since. 

Yeah, there was very strong talk of him cutting the cord altogether, and it hasn't happened. He played the other night, didn't he?

1 hour ago, Maboza said:

Spotted this mentioned in a tweet last night that Scottish and English clubs were queuing up for him. I wonder where they got that from?! I'd also like to think he'd go to someone in the Championship if we're looking to loan him out. That way we can keep a close eye on him and can relate a bit more to his performance levels rather than him going back down south.   

Can English clubs even still sign loan players even though their transfer window is closed? I assumed that it would be Scottish only after the transfer deadline.

Clubs outside the Premier League down south can still sign loan players until the 31st I believe. Also, King could still go back south if we cancel his contract as he'd be a free agent.

31 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Clubs outside the Premier League down south can still sign loan players until the 31st I believe. Also, King could still go back south if we cancel his contract as he'd be a free agent.

I thought there was something to do with free agents that meant they had to be released before the window closed in order for clubs to be able to sign them post-window. Not sure if that is the window of the releasing club, or the signing club. :unsure:

Edited by Maboza