Next St Mirren Manager

POZ I liked what I seen against QOS also liked what I seen for a good 30 min in the second half against Falkirk. Yes there have been mistakes but I feel their is something there that can come good given time. Only write that because I want to be positive if we were not trying or the team looked disinterested I would be worried.

POZ I liked what I seen against QOS also liked what I seen for a good 30 min in the second half against Falkirk. Yes there have been mistakes but I feel their is something there that can come good given time. Only write that because I want to be positive if we were not trying or the team looked disinterested I would be worried.

30 mins in second half against Falkirk? The first 45 against Falkirk were good but the second half we shipped 3 goals.

Bloody he'll 7 games in its not as if we have lost every game. There is negative sickness in our support.

I try to be positive but things like these really drag me down:

Livingston have one point, guess who they got that against?

Raith have only managed 3 points on the road guess who against?

Raith have only scored 2 goals on the road, guess who against?

It isn't mistakes I'm bothered about. Everyone makes mistakes. What I'm bothered about is what I perceive to be no discernable improvement in any area from the Craig or Teale era. Not only that, but my perception of Murray so far, is of a manager who has brought his 'Dumbarton remit' to St Mirren Park - simply to survive in this division.

Having said that, to call for any manager's head at this point in the season is clearly nonsense. I predicted a fifth place finish for us anyway. My opinion is to give him until Christmas before making my mind up if he is doing anything to improve all aspects of his stewardship so far. If I can see steps forward, resulting in some home wins, being harder to beat, and being competitive... Fine by me.

There's just a nagging feeling in my gut though that we are a baw-hair away from being a 'crisis club', with talk of dressing room splits, senior players noses out of joint, a 'lost' dressing room, resentment of his training and management methods, and a dressing room bust up resulting in 'clear the air talks'.

Hopefully my gut feeling is wrong.

30 mins in second half against Falkirk? The first 45 against Falkirk were good but the second half we shipped 3 goals.

I'm assuming he meant first half v Falkirk, second (part of it certainly) v Raith.

Snatches of decent play are encouraging, but actually lead to more frustration to some extent. There is clearly enough inthere to suggest that we should be doing better than we are.

Even though I wasn't in the Murray fan club when he was appointed ( and obviously still not ) , the least he deserves is a decent amount of time .

Apart from anything else , we can't afford to sack him .

If by the end of December we're still in the same position and out of touch with the play offs , then look at it .

Even though I wasn't in the Murray fan club when he was appointed ( and obviously still not ) , the least he deserves is a decent amount of time .

If by the end of December we're still in the same position and out of touch with the play offs , then look at it .

I think it is more likely that so long as we are not in the relegation mix in December that promotion was maybe (silently) seen as a long shot this year and Murray's remit will be to get us in among the Falkirk, Queen of the South, Raith Rovers bit of the table and be ready to have a real go next year. From a finanical point of view the BoD will want to avoid giving Murray and Spalding 2 years wages for less than 6 months work done at questionable performance levels, as well as wanting to avoid a 4th round of interviews / applications for the manager's post in 18 months [solution, ask Webster if he fancies taking it on!].

Murray's problem at the minute is so far we look streets behind Falkirk, Raith etc and even Morton are accumulating points at double the rate we are.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Correct. He isn't going anywhere soon.

Aside from the fact that it is clearly too early, the BoD (however much they might have chucked it to all intents and purposes) would not be so quick to concede that they have made another poor appointment. They have a degree of form in terms of going to ground in such circumstances.

In fairness to Gilmour et al, I thought Murray was a decent appointment, so wouldn't round on them too readily if they had to consider his position at some point before his contract is up.

Here's hoping he can turn it round. I still think there is a chance, but have to confess that I am less confident than I was only a few short weeks ago.

If Murray is bagged which will be soon if he doesn't get wins in the next 2 games!

Stevie Thompson is the name everyone thinks should replace Murray but just a word of warning... He's never managed before and the expectations on him would be Considerable!

Having said all that the board will probably go for it because it's probably the cheap option!

I would love for Stevie to come in as manager and get us playing well and challenging for the play offs! Just think its too much for first time manager!

I don't want Goodwin or Longwell as assistant manager. Goodwin has no experience in management and Longwell has not done a very good job in the development squad imo!!

if Thommo gets the job needs someone with experience!

Please don't let it be Thommo! Has he ever led a coaching session or managed a youth team for a game for the club yet? He comes across well on Sportscene? Hmmm so did Ian Murray!

He'll definitely get time. If it's still as poor as this come Christmas time, I think that he'll be away. Doubt he'll resign, so it will be costly.

Hopefully he can turn it around. Like Poz has said, the worrying thing is that there doesn't really seem to be a cohesive plan, playing style, aim, etc. We look like a side that's set up to 'not lose' rather than to win. I think appointing Spalding as assistant is unwise. Not really got a problem with him as a coach, he's got what would appear to be a decent background in analytics, but as assistant, I think an experienced and older number two would have been the best move. A Tommy Craig type (settle down!).

This is all my opinion though. Hopefully we turn it around and my concerns evaporate.

We waited till Christmas with Craig, that and not appointing an experienced replacement subsequently cost the club its premiership status and hundreds of thousands of pounds. Could the club survive repeating the same mistakes of lack of leadership, and taking difficult decisions again?

Look what the ultimate cost was dithering with Tommy, then going even cheaper by appointing Tealzo, and busting Goody back down to players wages. We are now paying the price for those errors as Murray and his Muppet preside over a disastrous season in a lower league, where they have us not even being competitive.... Can the club survive, and exist going through this again?

I would agree with that. Regarding the dressing room fall out. There was an article in the Evening Times with a Saints player saying voices were raised between players not management. That it showed how disappointed the players were at losing the game. For me that sounds good it means there is still passion . Look I'm as concerned as the next fan and hope it all comes good. When we play well it's better than anything I seen in the whole of last season.

I am not concerned at all.

Bad start,aye,but so what.

We will bounce back.

Support and patience.

Murray will sort it.

I think you've got it wrong. We need someone who can manage what is on paper a very decent squad. From what I hear the players don't like the fact that he does little or no coaching with the players. He lets his assistant do all the day to day training and it's not gone down well at all.

From what we've seen so far this season he has been found wanting in just about every aspect. Formations, tactics, substitutions,and decision making suggest that he doesn't have a clue.

I think you've got it wrong. We need someone who can manage what is on paper a very decent squad. From what I hear the players don't like the fact that he does little or no coaching with the players. He lets his assistant do all the day to day training and it's not gone down well at all.

From what we've seen so far this season he has been found wanting in just about every aspect. Formations, tactics, substitutions,and decision making suggest that he doesn't have a clue.

Bloody he'll Vince where are you getting that from.

Cant be arsed trawling through previous posts & apologies if its been said:

What odds on Allan Johnstons` Dunfermline being responsible for putting the arabs & us out of cup competitions & being the final nail in two coffins ? dry.png

& before the usual suspects jump down my throat , its only a thought !! rolleyes.gif

Cant be arsed trawling through previous posts & apologies if its been said:

What odds on Allan Johnstons` Dunfermline being responsible for putting the arabs & us out of cup competitions & being the final nail in two coffins ? dry.png

& before the usual suspects jump down my throat , its only a thought !! rolleyes.gif

Who jumped down yir throat?whistling.gif