St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

They actually have pretty impressive youth facilities, as they are part of the Highland youth academy along with ICT and have an indoor pitch.

http://www.highlandfootballacademy.co.uk/about/

http://www.highlandfootballacademy.co.uk/about/Gallery/

Whilst the highlands may be sparsely populated, both have a massive area to draw local talent from. Highland league football and a few amateur teams being the only serious football competition. Contrast that with the plethora of competing teams in the central belt...

Both are actually in a fantastic position to benefit from youth development. However it clearly takes time for this to happen and as is often the case, top flight football comes at the cost of youth in many instances.

Our direction depends significantly on the next managerial appointment. I would prefer to see the young guys getting a chance but think that this should be a stated aim, allowing us to make our own peace with it rather than negativity prevailing with criticisms of lack of direction etc....

Time for bold direction and management with a stated goal and at least 3-5 year plan (regardless of the personnel involved).

Edited by Bart Simpson

how do you know he is gone

For my money, this is a smart move. No-one of any repute is in for the job and Teale at least has the experience of being in charge at Paisley. You would have to know who else actually applies before declaring GT a goner

If saints want him, they will make an offer regardless of whether he applies or not. By not applying but still showing his interest and desire he is putting himself forward and will have a strong hand if appointed

Before the split BBC reported that the BoD had considered binning Teale and bringing in someone with more experience to try and save us from automatic relegation. The quotes attributed to Teale suggest that he thinks it is a no-brainer that he should get the job, and he has a good record during his time in charge.

We've now played 21 league games, winning 6, drawing 1, and losing 14 under Teale, scoring 18 goals and conceding 38. He has a 67% defeat rate at the moment and has been unable to identify better replacements for the likes of Marwood, Caldwell, Drury and Ball, replacing non-scoring and low-scoring attackers with more of the same in Arquin (0 goals), Sadlier (1 goal), Dayton (1 goal), Sonupe (0 goals) and Gow (0 goals). His signings are as likely to be red-carded as they are liable to score for us!

Before the split BBC reported that the BoD had considered binning Teale and bringing in someone with more experience to try and save us from automatic relegation. The quotes attributed to Teale suggest that he thinks it is a no-brainer that he should get the job, and he has a good record during his time in charge.

We've now played 21 league games, winning 6, drawing 1, and losing 14 under Teale, scoring 18 goals and conceding 38. He has a 67% defeat rate at the moment and has been unable to identify better replacements for the likes of Marwood, Caldwell, Drury and Ball, replacing non-scoring and low-scoring attackers with more of the same in Arquin (0 goals), Sadlier (1 goal), Dayton (1 goal), Sonupe (0 goals) and Gow (0 goals). His signings are as likely to be red-carded as they are liable to score for us!

I'm not proposing that GT deserves the job or suggesting he SHOULD get it, I am just pointing out that there is dearth of managers who are affordable and still represent a progression for us. Until the other applicants are known, we don't know if this is the end for GT

a load of uninformed shite being posted on here today

and a load of armchair experts declaring that GT is not the man.

you have to remember that the board are seeing what he does day-in day-out with what is acknowledged to be a shite squad.

GT has given a start to some good young players this year, being brave enough to discard the underachieving senior players or challenge themto do better

i would not bet against GT getting at least a short-term deal

The board see something the fans don't - the logic that got Tommy Craig appointed.

a load of uninformed shite being posted on here today

and a load of armchair experts declaring that GT is not the man.

you have to remember that the board are seeing what he does day-in day-out with what is acknowledged to be a shite squad.

GT has given a start to some good young players this year, being brave enough to discard the underachieving senior players or challenge themto do better

i would not bet against GT getting at least a short-term deal

You must be at the wind up.

Gary Teale was responsible for guiding us to the bottom of the league after discarding the underachieving players that he was responsible for signing in the first place. He was part of the TC team.

The 5-0 humiliation was the final straw. He made a brave decision that night and left out Thommo for our must win game.

Lets face it, if we were to consider bringing in a manager from outside with the kind of record that Gary Teale has, it would be considered madness. However I have absolutely no faith in the people who are about to make the next managerial appointment. It seems that the main qualifications for the job are to have played football and be inarticulate. Perhaps the latter is also a strong point of being a board member, I couldnt possibly comment.

This pond dweller has no definite preference on whom the next manager should be, but at least peruse any applications and try to make an effort to select the best candidate. You know, the way a proper business would do !

One observation possibly worth an airing in general....

Just for fun, imagine a world where GT had no association with our club prior to achieving a player/coach contract under Tommy Craig in May 2014.

In that scenario we would be looking at a candidate who barely kicked a ball in terms of the playing side of that contract. On the coaching side the facts are he was second in command (along with Goodwin) during the clusterf**k that was our first half of the season.

Fast forward to early December 2014 and GT took over as manager in a caretaker capacity and was in charge of overseeing the January window (Gow and Arquin being the, ahem/cough, standouts).

Fast forward again to end January 2015 and GT achieved a contract as manager until the end of the season. We were relegated with barely a whimper, including scuddings in the big "six pointers".

Genuine question to those in favor of GT, had Gary just wandered in to our club as of May 2014 would there be a just and fair case for him getting the managers job on the evidence of the last 12 months?

Lets face it, if we were to consider bringing in a manager from outside with the kind of record that Gary Teale has, it would be considered madness. However I have absolutely no faith in the people who are about to make the next managerial appointment. It seems that the main qualifications for the job are to have played football and be inarticulate. Perhaps the latter is also a strong point of being a board member, I couldnt possibly comment.

This pond dweller has no definite preference on whom the next manager should be, but at least peruse any applications and try to make an effort to select the best candidate. You know, the way a proper business would do !

Of course they don't make mistakes when appointing staff.

I don't like Adams , he is an unlikeable wee rat bag but do we have to like him ? If he can rebuild our current shambles of a club and get a winning team on the park , surely that is more important ? Teale is a likeable guy but needs to go away and learn his trade as a manager with a smaller club he , he has been completely out of his depth this year as a manger

We all should be careful what we wish for .

If I had to choose between GT or the likes of Reid or Adams , Garry would get my vote any day .

You genuinely think Teale would be a better candidate than two guys who have won the league we'll be playing in next season with similar or lesser resources than ours?

Adams comes across as a bit of a bellend and he's had previous exchanges in the past with our club. As regards to appointing him as manager it has to be a no from me. He's always had cash to buy players at County and that's not going to happen with our next man at the helm. Could Adams work with what will predominantly be a team of youngsters ? I seriously doubt it.

Tell what players Ross County paid transfer fees for under Derek's management? He took players like Britain and Carey from us for nothing both unwanted and arguably made them better.No-one can deny what Adams achieved at a small club like County.

So Ross County got rid of him.1eye.gif

Tell what players Ross County paid transfer fees for under Derek's management? He took players like Britain and Carey from us for nothing both unwanted and arguably made them better.No-one can deny what Adams achieved at a small club like County.

Are you honestly disputing the fact that Adams had a budget in place that allowed him funds to sign players that we couldn't possibly match.

I think Teale has received some unfair criticism from some .

We lost Kenny McLean late in the last window which freed up that wage .

With that one freed up wage he was asked to work miracles .

He managed to bring in three or four players for that one wage .

We lost out on many players because of a lack of funds , or players not fancying a relegation battle .

BuddieinEK says Adams came over as being a nice bloke when he met him. I always thought he came over OK until County hit a really bad patch, and he seemed under real pressure and cracked up. I have no idea if he just lost the plot or if he is a knobhead all the time.

I met Gus a couple of times and liked him - but wasn't he a stubborn pain in the arse? Who knows.

If Adams was appointed our next boss, fine by me. Clean slate and a fresh start. If he got us moving in the right direction and was winding up the opposition by being our knobhead, again, fine by me. I would also give a welcome and a fair go to Jimmy Calderwood, Ian Murray, Mixu Paatelainen or indeed Billy Stark. Any of them might just work out for us, like Yogi has worked out for ICT.

Billy Reid? No thanks. Thinking about Billy Reid's Accies v Gus MacPherson's Saints still brings me out in a cold sweat. Don't care if he's a knobhead or a good guy, please God, no.

Edited by pozbaird