St Mirren v Edinburgh City League Cup Group G 30/7/16

shull

The midfield missed jim.goodwin. How rae never gave him another year I'll never know. Nobody took the midfield by the scruff of the neck and drove us on yesterday. Quinn,Hutton and mallan ain't capable of rallying the lads. Jim was 34 not 54 and we missed him. Hutton hasn't been great but it's early days

On 7/28/2016 at 11:47 AM, renfrew said:

Sat game will be theirs 4th game in 10 days. With them being p/t I would expect tired legs with us getting some late goals. emoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.png

I certainly got that arse to tit :lol:  Plenty of poor decision with the final ball let us down. Nobody to blame but ourselfs :(

Gutted to lose out by 1 goal to qualify , but iin the last couple of weeks  ive lost faith in Mr Rae

Lost faith in Rae after losing only to Hamilton? We won 3 games out 4 mate.

How in gods name can you have lost faith in him already? The league hasn't even started ffs!

45 minutes ago, shull said:

Reason being, watching that lot yesterday wearing that all white monstrosity is like watching another Team groundsharing St Mirren Park. 

That looked nothing like my Club although the fitba was the same usual shit. 

Is there a particular reason we are still reading the same rant about the strip on a continous basis. You dont like it fine but stop the constant bleating about it 

18 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

So the strip was shite and some have lost confidence in the manager. Yet we have not even played one league game. Don't you just love St mirren fans.

We played 4 League Cup Matches and we have been unbelievably and shamefully knocked out. 

And the Home Kits are still shite. 

15 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

To make up for being put out the league cup so early we need to beat Morton comfortably. Making a solid start to the league campaign will go some way to making up for this early disappointment.

Beating Morton doesn't make up for making a balls of it against Edinburgh City. 

Yesterday was a disaster. 

Though, I will be ecstatic when we get 3 points next week against the Smelly Bassas FC. 

At h/t I reckon EC realized the game was gone and maybe looking at the group situation they reckoned the best option was to go for damage limitation and decided to sit back even deeper, we didn't really respond - there were a lot of loose balls which they got to first simply by strength of numbers. Um, dare I say we needed an on-field leader like Quinn (or Goodwin :zipit) to push our defence/midfield and get more in their faces.

No-one was really  prepared to do the dirty work yesterday and until Quinn comes back it's something we're lacking.

I actually thought the second half was tighter as they pushed up rather than sat deeper, giving our midfield less time on the ball. Also, Hutton did a lot of the dirty work pretty well yesterday and is much more mobile than Jim. 3 wins out of 4 isn't too bad and once Rae decides on his best 11 we might just be a decent side.

43 minutes ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

Is there a particular reason we are still reading the same rant about the strip on a continous basis. You dont like it fine but stop the constant bleating about it 

Nobody is taking notice. 

So the rant goes on. 

Tannoy hasn't been fixed. 

1 minute ago, shull said:

Beating Morton doesn't make up for making a balls of it against Edinburgh City. 

Yesterday was a disaster. 

Though, I will be ecstatic when we get 3 points next week against the Smelly Bassas FC. 

By your latest rants about football strips and how shite we are it's obvious you're not getting "any" so time for a new Betty to be purchased, and quick. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

By your latest rants about football strips and how shite we are it's obvious you're not getting "any" so time for a new Betty to be purchased, and quick. 

Just need a puncture repair kit. 

1 hour ago, norrie82 said:

Stewart didn't do anything wrong but he didn't support our attacks that well and hardly had a great game. This was the lowest ranked team in Scottish league football and in 45 mins we couldn't find another goal to send us through! It was poor v v poor

Thinking about it, we actually had 60 mins to score the 4th goal. Very poor indeed.

Poor decisions taking Shankland, Walsh and Clarkson off and putting a player of lesser ability on (Sutton), very poor decisions from Morgan to attempt to score from a tight angle when there were 2 strikers unmarked in the area, at half time i thought we were through because i couldn't see us failing to score at least one more goal.

Disappointed, and I agree with the little made point that the strip is honking.

5 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I actually thought the second half was tighter as they pushed up rather than sat deeper, giving our midfield less time on the ball. Also, Hutton did a lot of the dirty work pretty well yesterday and is much more mobile than Jim. 3 wins out of 4 isn't too bad and once Rae decides on his best 11 we might just be a decent side.

I say tomato & you say potato - different opinions as to why it wasn't working but the same overall view that it wasn't. EC changed their tactics and we weren't able to counter effectively, it wasn't a "happy with 3-0 situation" 'cos we all knew we needed to score in the second half.

Not too bad, but we still finished third behind Ayr Utd. so overall I'd say disappointing. The excuses offered elsewhere that they're just warm up/team gelling games don't impress me it was the same for all 5 teams in the group - bottom line is over the 4 games we weren't good enough.

Yes the manager and players are the ones who produce the goods on the park, but the fans have not covered themselves in glory for the past couple of years or so in getting behind the team.

A recent example of this was when a few dozen Ayr United fans drowned out the St Mirren support despite the fact that they were outnumbered by about 10 to 1.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I say tomato & you say potato - different opinions as to why it wasn't working but the same overall view that it wasn't. EC changed their tactics and we weren't able to counter effectively, it wasn't a "happy with 3-0 situation" 'cos we all knew we needed to score in the second half.

Not too bad, but we still finished third behind Ayr Utd. so overall I'd say disappointing. The excuses offered elsewhere that they're just warm up/team gelling games don't impress me it was the same for all 5 teams in the group - bottom line is over the 4 games we weren't good enough.

There were plenty unpredictable results around.  St Mirren's results were what you'd expect based on the relative positions last season. So need for an excuse on that basis.  

36 minutes ago, David Mc said:

There were plenty unpredictable results around.  St Mirren's results were what you'd expect based on the relative positions last season. So need for an excuse on that basis.  

Well I expected us to finish above Ayr who are a part time team based on last season's results, and the excuses mentioned are there on this and other threads.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Simply no excuse for yesterdays performance, the blame lies squarely at the managers door, is he Suttons' agent or a friend of Suttons agent. Unbelievable decision to bring Sutton on and leave faster fitter players on the bench, or indeed take faster fitter players off.