St Mirren v Edinburgh City League Cup Group G 30/7/16

shull

First half was good, should probably have had a few more too. Second half was as if the players were going through the motions and didn't realise we still needed at least another one to get through.

Would have been nice to get through and I'd imagine there will be second placed teams go through with less than nine points but thems the breaks. Would far rather have a good start to the league season.

Good first half. Posted missing for the second half. However we created 10 clear cut chances with efforts on goal and only took 3 of them. One of those 7 missed easy chances would have seen us through. However Edinburgh had decided they did not want a humping and defended in depth in the second half which limited our chances.

Bad points were Clarkson and Sutton. Admittedly Sutton only had 30 mins but really did nothing against a team of part-timers.

Good points today were Walsh and Shankland in and Gallagher out. Also thought Mallan had a good first half but faded like his team mates in the second. When we play with 2 wingers then the midfield two are going to have their work cut out so I would not be harsh on them.

Disappointed we are out but we could so easily still be in it.

Good 1st half against a pretty poor team . But 2nd half we never showed enough fight. Lewis Morgan is one of my Fav players but his decision making today especially in the 2nd half was poor. Walsh looked a decent player. But don't think the manager is to disappointed were out. Used it more like a pre season than cup ties. But it's next week that counts. Team selection will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Black & White Army mobile app

54 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Hamilton losing to Ayr then beating us heavily are the two results that put us out.

I think that was the one. Ayr caught them cold on July 16th; that is so early in terms of player fitness and recruitment. In the 2 weeks since then, we've brought in 3 players and most other teams have done similar.

Probably we can't read too much into our 4 games in the past 2 weeks. We've won the games we were expected to win and lost the games we were expected to lose. One positive I've taken is that Falkirk look like they might have fallen back a bit. 

59 minutes ago, shull said:

Can't believe the absolute crap that St Mirren played today. 

Pretty boys in a shite strip fannying about.

Pricks have a week to get it right.

Should hang their heads in f**king shame. 

Couldn't disgrace that horrible strip anymore. 

Fans Council have made a total baws of that kit. 

Couldn't agree more, poor poor stuff so far, on and off the park.

All the pish being spouted about relationships with fans, communicating the minutiae of club life, fan  liason officers, jeezuzphuckinwept !

Best fan liason we could have is the team and manager getting their shit together. Fans will attend, will feel engaged enough. Imagine, here's hoping, we can muster some kind of promotion challenge, we'd have plenty fans keen enough.

Just get the team  playing some honest decent stuff with wins at this level of football, surely that can't be beyond the wit of this club. 

Prsently, we are not ready, that is plain enough. Cannot hammer a part time collection of erstwhile gardeners and shelf stackers, ffs Failing to qualify from this league cup group is a bad , poor poor start to the season.

As a fan , I expect much much better, and soon.

Phuck, league season isn't even up and running and I'm feeling the age old St Mirren Saturday shambles syndrome.

33 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

30 grand for qualifying isn't bad. Probably another player. Can I see us doing something this season no probably not being realistic I'd say 4th is the v best we can hope for

I predicted fifth for us last season, and I predict fifth again. In my opinion we will finish behind Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk, and one from Morton / Ayr / Dunfermline. No matter which way you look at it, if two clubs are promoted from our division and we aren't one of them, the clubs dropping down will be of a Partick / Hamilton / Killie calibre. Our third season in the second tier therefore won't be any easier. I said that having pissed away our top flight status by own own ineptitude, we were looking at a lengthy stay in the second tier - unless league reconstruction comes along.

The landscape has massively shifted. Clubs like Sevco, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd... in the second tier of Scottish football at varying times recently.

Call me negative if you like, but in my opinion, we aren't getting out of this division any time soon, and if we are, we need to be capable of scoring against shite like Edinburgh City at least once in 45 minutes when it was clear that one goal further goal was needed.

Too many rival teams are more streetwise and clinical than we are. We remain, to my eyes, a soft as shite mid-table outfit. Let's hope I have called it wrong.

We done what was required in the first half then collapsed second.  Morgan is a cracking wee player but needs to work on his decision making. Walsh looked good & thought young Stewart had a decent game (why was he wearing No3 ?) 

I am not convinced about  Hutton , too indecisive, shat out of a good few tackles today & always need two touches . ( is he this years Agnew?)

Our forwards need to have the courage to put their laces through the ball rather than fanny about with one or two touches before shooting, closed down far too often. Btw , did anyone see the shooting drill pre match ? Langfield was taking it !! WTF is that about ?

20 minutes ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Couldn't agree more, poor poor stuff so far, on and off the park.

All the pish being spouted about relationships with fans, communicating the minutiae of club life, fan  liason officers, jeezuzphuckinwept !

Best fan liason we could have is the team and manager getting their shit together. Fans will attend, will feel engaged enough. Imagine, here's hoping, we can muster some kind of promotion challenge, we'd have plenty fans keen enough.

Just get the team  playing some honest decent stuff with wins at this level of football, surely that can't be beyond the wit of this club. 

Prsently, we are not ready, that is plain enough. Cannot hammer a part time collection of erstwhile gardeners and shelf stackers, ffs Failing to qualify from this league cup group is a bad , poor poor start to the season.

As a fan , I expect much much better, and soon.

Phuck, league season isn't even up and running and I'm feeling the age old St Mirren Saturday shambles syndrome.

Three wins from 4 games ? One loss to a Premier team. What more do you want ? Next week is the acid test the league cup has been far from a shambles.

52 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Good first half. Posted missing for the second half. However we created 10 clear cut chances with efforts on goal and only took 3 of them. One of those 7 missed easy chances would have seen us through. However Edinburgh had decided they did not want a humping and defended in depth in the second half which limited our chances.

Bad points were Clarkson and Sutton. Admittedly Sutton only had 30 mins but really did nothing against a team of part-timers.

Good points today were Walsh and Shankland in and Gallagher out. Also thought Mallan had a good first half but faded like his team mates in the second. When we play with 2 wingers then the midfield two are going to have their work cut out so I would not be harsh on them.

Disappointed we are out but we could so easily still be in it.

Thought Shankland, Mallan, Walsh, Stewart Morgan all had great 1st half performances.

However, in the 2nd half Edinburgh gave us less room. We didn't seem to have an effective plan B and service to the strikers dried up, although near the end when their defenders tired a bit , Morgan started to play again.

Joe Mbu will be unlikely to have such an easy 2nd half this season.

The bottom line is that we were not good enough in the second half.

I'm disappointed of course - but we should remember we won 3 out of 4; lost to a premiership side away (on plastic pitch), missed out by only 1 goal and still had a better record than 4 other 2nd placed teams. So hardly the worst ever failure. We'll probably end up 13th best out of 40. Heroic failure at its best!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Black & White Army mobile app

The reality is we were extremely unfortunate. All of our results went as expected - wins against Livi, Ayr and Edinburgh and a loss away at Accies - and a set of unexpected results in the other games put us out.

In any other group 9 points would have got us through. Peterhead won group A with 8 points, Falkirk finished second in group B with 6.

Of course this won't satisfy those who love to complain, but then again nothing ever does.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The reality is we were extremely unfortunate. All of our results went as expected - wins against Livi, Ayr and Edinburgh and a loss away at Accies - and a set of unexpected results in the other games put us out.

In any other group 9 points would have got us through. Peterhead won group A with 8 points, Falkirk finished second in group B with 6.

Of course this won't satisfy those who love to complain, but then again nothing ever does.

Especially those who complain about Shankland at every opportunity. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, guinness said:

Worst second half I have ever seen . could have been 5_0 up at half time but chucked it manager looked as if he did not care . entire team looker as if that could not be arsed  f.ing pathetic

Clearly you have not been watching Saints for long if that is the worst 2nd half you have even seen. I saw at least half a dozen worse 2nd half's last season alone !