St Mirren v Edinburgh City League Cup Group G 30/7/16

shull

Worst second half I have ever seen . could have been 5_0 up at half time but chucked it manager looked as if he did not care . entire team looker as if that could not be arsed  f.ing pathetic

Worst ever!? That must have been your first ever st mirren game to make a statement like that cause I could tell you many worst than that. Nobody is gonna deny that the second half performance wasn't great, however we did create a lot of chances such as Morgan cutting in from both wings as shooting when there were options to cut it back, or websters free header in the six yard box, or clarksons half volley from another corner cleared of the line, also harries shot cleared off the line too, if any of those had gone in or if we had had a bit better luck we would have been through

1st half...good, 2nd half...not bad but below standard for players we have. Only real gripes were the continued long high punts into the box that Mbu won 9/10 times. We're definitely unlucky to be papped out on 9 points.

Please tell me a lot of you guys are at the wind up with all the criticism . Think of this cup format as a great way to get fitness levels up. We would have played 3-4 meaningless

friendlies against the likes of Fleetwood,York city  etc.

These were competitive games better than 6 subs coming on at a time and we are all asking "who's that"

Nah the season starts next Saturday

As an aside I actually like this league, no animals arriving and scaring the weans, apart from Hibs.

Yep. I think that once we all have a chance to settle down it will be seen as a bit of bad luck. Ayr beating Hamilton upset the apple cart. For all those bemoaning the fact we only won 3-0 it's worth noting that only Livingston matched that margin of victory; with Hamilton and Ayr managing only 2 and 1 respectively

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Black & White Army mobile app

Good first half. Posted missing for the second half. However we created 10 clear cut chances with efforts on goal and only took 3 of them. One of those 7 missed easy chances would have seen us through. However Edinburgh had decided they did not want a humping and defended in depth in the second half which limited our chances.

Bad points were Clarkson and Sutton. Admittedly Sutton only had 30 mins but really did nothing against a team of part-timers.

Good points today were Walsh and Shankland in and Gallagher out. Also thought Mallan had a good first half but faded like his team mates in the second. When we play with 2 wingers then the midfield two are going to have their work cut out so I would not be harsh on them.

Disappointed we are out but we could so easily still be in it.

don't agree that Clarkson was a bad point. I thought some of his link up play with Shankland was great. Especially in the lead up to Welsh's goal. Just my opinion mind.

22 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

Yep. I think that once we all have a chance to settle down it will be seen as a bit of bad luck. Ayr beating Hamilton upset the apple cart. For all those bemoaning the fact we only won 3-0 it's worth noting that only Livingston matched that margin of victory; with Hamilton and Ayr managing only 2 and 1 respectively

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Black & White Army mobile app

But Hamilton managed to score 4 against them which we couldn't

Edited by elvis

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Three wins from 4 games ? One loss to a Premier team. What more do you want ? Next week is the acid test the league cup has been far from a shambles.

I want us to be better than we are to date. If you think we did well in failing that league cup section, then you are better placed than me in accepting the new low dwelling in which we presently reside.

Frankly I expect  better, and I am looking for much improvement. Yup, that Hamilton, a Premier team.

Now where's that ancient thread about expectations.................... :rolleyes:

Clearly Rae got things badly wrong.Taking off Shankland and Walsh were big mistakes.We had still 30mins to score a fourth goal which would have taken us into the next round.Clearly we did not need four defenders on the pitch and would have gone 3-4-3.Despite Stewart having a decent first half I don't think he ever got into the opponents half in the second.Stewart off and Hardie on would have seen us safely into the next round.This was a really poor team we were up against and there are no excuses for our failure to score in the second half.City were a bunch of part-timers who only managed two hours training at Riccarton on Thursday Evening after their exertions against Accies on Wednesday.Yes I am upset I really wanted to progress in this Cup which remember we won in 2013. I trust the manager and his players are as upset as I am.

a honestly believe we have one of the best squad's in championship..great mix of youth and experience.but still not looking like a team in my opinion..maybe the manager has to change his tactics or personal and play to our advantages.we cannot play long ball to strikers all the time we got best players in league so should be using them correctly and getting ball on ground and attacking every team home and away.nothing to be scared cant ask these boys to defend n kick our way to wins.these guys are flair players.just hope Rae knows how to play a expansive and attacking game and not just kick n grab shit.time will tell and a win against the unwashed will get us going big time..a defeat..and well..........you guess!!!!

7 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Clearly Rae got things badly wrong.Taking off Shankland and Walsh were big mistakes.We had still 30mins to score a fourth goal which would have taken us into the next round.Clearly we did not need four defenders on the pitch and would have gone 3-4-3.Despite Stewart having a decent first half I don't think he ever got into the opponents half in the second.Stewart off and Hardie on would have seen us safely into the next round.This was a really poor team we were up against and there are no excuses for our failure to score in the second half.City were a bunch of part-timers who only managed two hours training at Riccarton on Thursday Evening after their exertions against Accies on Wednesday.Yes I am upset I really wanted to progress in this Cup which remember we won in 2013. I trust the manager and his players are as upset as I am.

Really ??   So they both had managed to score in the first half .... great stuff.  But IIRC Walsh ( who had a good game) didnt manage another attempt at goal & Shanks missed the sitter of all sitters first half .

Both Got 70 minutes on the pitch,There was 20 minutes to go.. not 30.  it was time for a change, The original lineup had run its course . 

Great entertainment. Yes a bit disappointing to go out, but come on three goals. Mogan and Walsh tearing down the wings. Mallan closer to what he can be. 

Hutton looked clumsy, Back four looked sound. The problem seemed to be upfront. Although in my opinion we were denied a definite penalty when Shankland was barged over. 

Sure it was only Edinburgh City but you can only play what's in front of you. 

Hardie, Clarkson, Sutton and Shankland all looked what they are. . . Championship level strikers. I'm not sure which two should start and I'm not sure Alex Rae does either. Clarkson's link up play is good but his finishing has been poor and he's not very mobile. Sutton was slow but bullied their (fairly impressive) centre half. Hardie didn't do much, but then it's his first game for us. Shankland scored, had some great touches, but also missed a few easy chances. None of our strikers hitting the ground running and that's worrying. The difference between finishing top four and fifth will be a 25 goal partnership.  Not sure we have one on that showing. 

It was poor. Let's not hide here we couldn't score a goal in the second 45 against an amateur team when we knew one more would do. It was poor but to be honest I don't expect much from this team. I also know from a journalist mate who says Alex isn't happy with the way we're looking either. We will do well.to get fourth and next week get cash on 1-1 or a narrow loss

2 minutes ago, insaintee said:

Great entertainment. Yes a bit disappointing to go out, but come on three goals. Mogan and Walsh tearing down the wings. Mallan closer to what he can be. 

Hutton looked clumsy, Back four looked sound. The problem seemed to be upfront. Although in my opinion we were denied a definite penalty when Shankland was barged over. 

Hardie, Clarkson, Sutton and Shankland all looked what they are. . . Championship level strikers. I'm not sure which two should start and I'm not sure Alex Rae does either. Clarkson's link up play is good but his finishing has been poor and he's not very mobile. Sutton was slow but bullied their (fairly impressive) centre half. Hardie didn't do much, but then it's his first game for us. Shankland scored, had some great touches, but also missed a few easy chances. None of our strikers hitting the ground running and that's worrying. The difference between finishing top four and fifth will be a 25 goal partnership.  Not sure we have one on that showing. 

Aye ......

Dundee  7 Goals

ICT  7 Goals

Ross County  7 Goals

St Mirren - F*cking Shite

Only needed 4

Should have scored 10

Got 3

Absolute Disgraceful

Shamed those pishy all white strips

Saints are programmed to fail. At three I text my mate saying it wouldn't go beyond that. What gets me is that there was 30k up for grabs and rae took of our best goal threats. V poor decisions from.him today and ones I don't understand. also wondering if our other central defenders will get any game time soon? Piss poor today absolutely terrible to be one goal away against a part time /amateur team and we blew it

31 minutes ago, insaintee said:

30/07/16 ....nuff said