St Mirren v Broxburn Athletic 18/1/20

munoz

11 minutes ago, Buffs said:

Sure, Obika scored 2 today and 7 for the season, but surely you cant be happy with his finishing ability? He is a useful presence upfront to bully defenders but hes not a goalscorer

If he was half decent he would be sitting on 15 goals so far.

I have played football to a decent standard as a striker and you are right, that getting into the position to score is important but you cant rely on the ball bouncing off you all the time. A striker should be using his skill and ability to score not rely on luck all the time.

He isn't the answer. We need better upfront.

f**king.

Cringe.

3 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

If he was scoring fifteen, he'd be at a bigger club.

He is fighting back from a NINE MONTH lay off through injury... and improving.

The first goal was classic Obika... He only scored because he couldn't get out of the way to stop the ball bouncing off him and into the net!

But... He WAS in the right place at the right time!

THAT is instinctive.

I feel there is better to come from him and am happy to support him whilst he does his best.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to keep some folks happy. Apart from their goalkeeper, I thougjt their centre backs did ok but Obika still got s couple of goals. Nice to see Danny get a goal too. 

Thought we strolled it to be honest. There was a time when you expect Saints to throw a goal away at any moment no matter what the score. Glad we seem to have that ironed out. 

First half I thought we missed Andreu big time. We carved up both wings but lacked a bit of creativity in the middle. Think the big man made a huge difference when he came on. 

Sitting in the south stand, I really only saw Obika up close second half, and frankly I thought he did well, I will say that the team looked better balance once Mullan came  and Obika linked up far better with him than with Durmas. Junior had a great game and should have scored, just needed a bit of Obika's luck.

The two centre halfs looked decent tidy on the ball and seemed to be on the same wavelength, but remember this is against Broxburn, not sure they'll have so easy in the next two games and would be happy to see foley or Mcginn take one of the spots 

Really enjoyed the energy of McPherson and Magennis in midfield. Foley strolled it. 

No failures and if you win 3-0 and the opposition goalie is man of the match then you can't be doing much wrong. 

Could we use a bit more quailty final third, yeah obs, but where do you get it from? 

7 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

The first goal was classic Obika... He only scored because he couldn't get out of the way to stop the ball bouncing off him and into the net!

THAT is instinctive.

I feel there is better to come from him and am happy to support him whilst he does his best.

Yeah can see him getting fifteen next year, he's got sharper and stronger every game. 

I'm not sure what needs to be done to keep some folks happy. Apart from their goalkeeper, I thougjt their centre backs did ok but Obika still got s couple of goals. Nice to see Danny get a goal too. 
Danny was immense when he came on, gave us better balance and more drive.
Fantastic goal.
Fantastic set up for the third.
Took an absolute clattering but kept coming back for more.

Although not on for long, he was my man of the match.

Great to see Jim have genuine selection challenges now!

Squad looking much stronger.

Top six, here we come!

THAT is instinctive.

As I said, being in the right position is a skill and important to a striker, but his ability to score under his own steam is, unfortunately, lacking.

As for being out with injury, I was unaware he had been out for 9 months but as he has played pretty much every game since he joined us, I would expect him to be up to speed by now.

I'll support him but I stick by my opinion that we need better.

2 minutes ago, Buffs said:

As I said, being in the right position is a skill and important to a striker, but his ability to score under his own steam is, unfortunately, lacking.

As for being out with injury, I was unaware he had been out for 9 months but as he has played pretty much every game since he joined us, I would expect him to be up to speed by now.

I'll support him but I stick by my opinion that we need better.

Indeed, it's January, this "coming back from injury" is way past the point of being credible.

Right now, 7 goals, pretty damn reasonable.

4 (at least) have been fortunate, he CAN'T keep that up.

If he ends up with 12+, lucky or not, he's been a great success.

I've thought for some time he's a better support player, but we don't have anyone else who really knows where the back of the net is so the onus is on him, like it it or not, for now. 

Seriously, if he had 15 goals he would easily be the top scorer in the division ahead of the likes of Morelos, Eduard and Cosgrove. Do you seriously think any striker with that return would still be with us - get real !!!

Sure, Obika scored 2 today and 7 for the season, but surely you cant be happy with his finishing ability? He is a useful presence upfront to bully defenders but hes not a goalscorer

I have played football to a decent standard as a striker and you are right, that getting into the position to score is important but you cant rely on the ball bouncing off you all the time. A striker should be using his skill and ability to score not rely on luck all the time.

28 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed, it's January, this "coming back from injury" is way past the point of being credible.

Right now, 7 goals, pretty damn reasonable.

4 (at least) have been fortunate, he CAN'T keep that up.

If he ends up with 12+, lucky or not, he's been a great success.

I've thought for some time he's a better support player, but we don't have anyone else who really knows where the back of the net is so the onus is on him, like it it or not, for now. 

Yawn... Have you seen the team play this season? 

Hard to tell today if the new guys will improved the team since the traffic was all 1 way. What was pleasing that their players didn't try to kick the shit out of us, and they probably committed less fouls against us than most teams in our league.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Goodwin full of sh**e said if players weren't performing he would sub them. Possibly the worst half from a centre forward I have seen and Obika comes out for 2nd half.

5 hours ago, ironsaints87 said:

Glad I decided to miss it today. Thought be like this..Sounds awful and yip Obika usual pish!

5 hours ago, paul torfason said:

Honestly cannot believe we have not brought a real striker in so far,after this game it must be a PRIORITY 

5 hours ago, Ethan said:

Regardless of today it shows we badly need a goalscorer. 

5 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Apart from the overhead kick goal, has Obika scored a goal where it didn't just bounce off him into the net?

1 hour ago, Buffs said:

Our top goal scorer in the Premiership and in the current squad is not rated by many fans . . .

Yet he links up well, shields the ball well, is a handful for any CB and scores more goals than anyone else in our squad.

I said at the start of the season he would reach double figures if he stayed fit and yes like any striker he will miss easy chances and be frustrating at times BUT

HE will still hit double figures AND WE NEED HIS GOALS. He might even continue to improve as his confidence grows.

Even our new lad McGrath hit the post in stead of the net - but he will also start getting in amongst the goals too !    C O Y S  

24 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Our top goal scorer in the Premiership and in the current squad is not rated by many fans . . .

Yet he links up well, shields the ball well, is a handful for any CB and scores more goals than anyone else in our squad.

I said at the start of the season he would reach double figures if he stayed fit and yes like any striker he will miss easy chances and be frustrating at times BUT

HE will still hit double figures AND WE NEED HIS GOALS. He might even continue to improve as his confidence grows.

Even our new lad McGrath hit the post in stead of the net - but he will also start getting in amongst the goals too !    C O Y S  

Correct. 

Remind me what the term "supporter" means again as I'm finding it increasingly difficult to tie-down and reconcile with a number of posts, especially from those sofa experts who don't actually attend any games. Its amazing how much more they seem to know about everything. 

Edited by St.Ricky

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

My word. You really are criticising Obika for *only* scoring 2 goals today aren’t you? And you seem to be criticising the timing of his goals too. Do goals count more if they’re scored earlier or something?emoji38.png

Some of our fans are truly unbelievable. Thankfully most of us realise how lucky we are to have him at our club and our manager clearly believes in him. He rightly plays 90 minutes every week and will continue to do so.

That’s him on 7 goals already this season. I wonder how many more he will have to score to get the fans off his back? He’s already had the best goal scoring return of any of our strikers in a top flight season since Steven Thompson in 13/14, but that hasn’t been enough.

Of course the reason he gets so many ‘lucky’ goals is because he consistently gets himself in the right positions. As anyone who has played football before will know, that is a skill in itself. I would say I’m surprised at the amount of stick he’s getting but I’m not. Our fans have done this before to other goal scoring strikers and I suspect they will do it again with others we have in the future. Bizarre.

That bit in bold. Finally someone has said it! A fair number of regular goalscorers are generally shite footballers, but have great instinct to position themselves correctly and earn a reputation for scoring goals. After all, the point of the game is to score more goals than the opposition and Obika is doing that better than anyone else for Saints in the Premier League (granted today was cup) since the days of Thommo as you rightly state. I don’t care if 5 of his goals are off his arse, the fact is he’s putting himself in the right positions when it matters most. 

We may love seeing goals like those ridiculous ones scored by Adam Hammill, the skill and composure Lewis Morgan had, or the free kicks from Stevie Mallan or Graham Carey. But whether it’s a 40 yard belter or accidentally smacked off the chest of Obika, it’s the same end result. You don’t gain any extra points or goals because it was a quality finish.

As for the bit in underline, it’s like Michael Higdon all over again. We had fans raving over f**king Craig Dargo who was busy setting a club record for offsides and had a total inability to ever finish a 1v1 when through on goal, yet Higdon managed to outscore Dargo’s entire Saints career in one season but got bollocked on a regular basis because he didn’t “run around a lot”. Give me a goalscorer any day ffs.

2 hours ago, NB18 said:

Quite a few damaged seats in the North Stand.

Majority of their fans were outstanding today and created a cracking atmosphere, just a shame to see a minority behave like that.

inCollage_20200118_185747807.jpeg

Did the Broxburn support have a Sevco supporting element trying to attach themselves to the club today?

I’m sure the likes of Irvine Meadow and some of the other non-league sides have had this problem in the past. It’s a shame as it ruins it for the true diehard followers of the clubs, but it does seem to be commonplace that knuckledraggers who can’t afford to watch the scum sides latch onto the local non-league side instead and usually embarrass them.

18 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

That bit in bold. Finally someone has said it! A fair number of regular goalscorers are generally shite footballers, but have great instinct to position themselves correctly and earn a reputation for scoring goals. After all, the point of the game is to score more goals than the opposition and Obika is doing that better than anyone else for Saints in the Premier League (granted today was cup) since the days of Thommo as you rightly state. I don’t care if 5 of his goals are off his arse, the fact is he’s putting himself in the right positions when it matters most. 

We may love seeing goals like those ridiculous ones scored by Adam Hammill, the skill and composure Lewis Morgan had, or the free kicks from Stevie Mallan or Graham Carey. But whether it’s a 40 yard belter or accidentally smacked off the chest of Obika, it’s the same end result. You don’t gain any extra points or goals because it was a quality finish.

As for the bit in underline, it’s like Michael Higdon all over again. We had fans raving over f**king Craig Dargo who was busy setting a club record for offsides and had a total inability to ever finish a 1v1 when through on goal, yet Higdon managed to outscore Dargo’s entire Saints career in one season but got bollocked on a regular basis because he didn’t “run around a lot”. Give me a goalscorer any day ffs.

Did the Broxburn support have a Sevco supporting element trying to attach themselves to the club today?

I’m sure the likes of Irvine Meadow and some of the other non-league sides have had this problem in the past. It’s a shame as it ruins it for the true diehard followers of the clubs, but it does seem to be commonplace that knuckledraggers who can’t afford to watch the scum sides latch onto the local non-league side instead and usually embarrass them.

No Union Jacks on show. The majority were noisy (good) and actively supported their team  it felt that this was a big thing for them and that they were intent on enjoying it. I wouldn't tar the whole 1600 with the antisocial behaviour of a small number. 

I get the point that he is our top scorer and it doesn't matter how they go in. I also get the argument that being in the right place at the right time is the essential ingredient in any decent striker. What l don't get is obika terrible first touch at times but more importantly his inept ability to hit a ball towards the goal with pace and accuracy. Someone said to me today he is always weak on his right foot. In that case use your left. There were at least two opportunities to choose his left rather than right. As l said in my earlier post l am sure he will continue to score especially against teams who open up but l cannot understand how a professional football can be so inept so often at striking a ball towards a gaping net and be called a striker

8 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

I get the point that he is our top scorer and it doesn't matter how they go in. I also get the argument that being in the right place at the right time is the essential ingredient in any decent striker. What l don't get is obika terrible first touch at times but more importantly his inept ability to hit a ball towards the goal with pace and accuracy. Someone said to me today he is always weak on his right foot. In that case use your left. There were at least two opportunities to choose his left rather than right. As l said in my earlier post l am sure he will continue to score especially against teams who open up but l cannot understand how a professional football can be so inept so often at striking a ball towards a gaping net and be called a striker

His goals (overhead kick apart) are a little like Lee Trevino's golf shot. Not a thing of beauty but its not how, its how many. In Trevino's case how few, in a strikers case the more the better. 

Edited by St.Ricky

16 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

He even cannot score in the games warm ups , usually one on target out of six shots every time and the one shot he gets on target is so weak it it is easily saved , check it out at next game.

Having said that he will get 12 goals this season but only have 6 shots on goal!

My final thought on obika is that l have had a lot of sympathy for him and others up front as the quality of service has been poor at times. That could be said of some of today's efforts but he needs to be more clinical when he has it put on a plate for him as happened today. In most league games we get very few clear cut chances and a number of times this season we have been punished for not taking these. Hopefully we can do better in the run in

1 hour ago, the barrhead teacher said:

As l said in my earlier post l am sure he will continue to score especially against teams who open up but l cannot understand how a professional football can be so inept so often at striking a ball towards a gaping net and be called a striker

If Obika was capable of smashing the net on a regular basis with the chances people mention, we would never have landed him in the first place because he’d be playing at a higher level.

Too many seem to forgot who we are and what level we are in comparison to others. For our level, Obika is decent and so far in the two seasons we’ve returned to the Prem, he’s better than anyone else we’ve had in terms of goal scoring. If he took the chances provided he’d be playing in the English Premier or Championship and we would never have been linked with him.

Some people within our support just seem to love hating strikers. We had Gavin Reilly who scored 20+ goals a few years ago and people were happy to see him go and said he wasn't good enough for the premier league. 

Obika is the best striker we've had since Reilly so naturally all the same people are out again criticising him. If he was the finished article he wouldn't be with us. Simple as that.

I could quote half a dozen other posters but chose you seeing as yours is the last post.

I have defended Obika more than once this season but no one expects him to be the finished article but his 3 chances in first half come into absolute sitter category along with quite a few others this season and the frustrating fact the keeper never even had to save any of them.

Against the better teams and the slog to avoid relegation with 5 other teams this season he won't have the luxury of 4/5/6 chances before scoring like he did today.

Some people within our support just seem to love hating strikers. We had Gavin Reilly who scored 20+ goals a few years ago and people were happy to see him go and said he wasn't good enough for the premier league. 
Obika is the best striker we've had since Reilly so naturally all the same people are out again criticising him. If he was the finished article he wouldn't be with us. Simple as that.

5 hours ago, Buffs said:

I smell dog walk GIF by lilcozynostril

12 hours ago, Buffs said:

Obika does the same job for us that Billy Mehmet did a few years ago. He's a massively important player to us. 

I can understand people getting frustrated at his lack of finishing but he's more talented than anyone we've had up top for about 6 or 7 years. 

Obika does the same job for us that Billy Mehmet did a few years ago. He's a massively important player to us. 
I can understand people getting frustrated at his lack of finishing but he's more talented than anyone we've had up top for about 6 or 7 years. 
Post of the year.

Succinct and accurate.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Liked this post but also want to say that I agree 100%. A key playet.