St Mirren v Kilmarnock SPFL PREMIERSHIP 22/4/23

shull

Firstly, its great that we're top 6. A fantastic achievement. But todays performance was shocking. Never in the game at any point and never looked like getting anything out of the game. If we repeat that display in the last 5, then we'll stay 6th ans xan forget about Europe. We can only hope it was a bad day at the office.

3 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

Firstly, its great that we're top 6. A fantastic achievement. But todays performance was shocking. Never in the game at any point and never looked like getting anything out of the game. If we repeat that display in the last 5, then we'll stay 6th ans xan forget about Europe. We can only hope it was a bad day at the office.

Dons, Hibs, Hearts have had far worse days at the office than we have recently...if thats our blip then i am happy

Realistically i reckon 5th place is now our goal. 
Exactly all this talk of 3rd and 4th was possible but always unlikely (especially with our away form).

Our first goal was top 6 box ticked done now let's target the next place up.

Anything higher is a bonus.

Sent from my T610K using Tapatalk

Think when we all wake up on Sunday morning and the euphoria of making the top six dies down, we will all realise the full impact of yesterdays result. Assuming nobody takes anything from the ugly sisters, we have only 9 points to play for and we are well behind 4th, a win was needed yesterday. That should have been the focus, winning gave us top six automatically but more importantly kept our challenge alive. Sadly I think we are now playing for 5th or 6th. 

yesterdays game was not simply about top 6, Dundee United secured that for us, it was about keeping in touch with Hearts and Aberdeen and we failed the test. 

hopefully the extra cash for improved league position and better gates in the run in will help the finances. But all this talk of Europe after yesterdays result is surely gone. 

Edited by bonzoboys

Think when we all wake up on Sunday morning and the euphoria of making the top six dies down, we will all realise the full impact of yesterdays result. Assuming nobody takes anything from the ugly sisters, we have only 9 points to play for and we are well behind 4th, a win was needed yesterday. That should have been the focus, winning gave us top six automatically but more importantly kept our challenge alive. Sadly I think we are now playing for 5th or 6th. 

yesterdays game was not simply about top 6, Dundee United secured that for us, it was about keeping in touch with Hearts and Aberdeen and we failed the test. 

hopefully the extra cash for improved league position and better gates in the run in will help the finances. But all this talk of Europe after yesterdays result is surely gone. 
5th place gets us Europe and you said we can still get it.

Why do you think nobody will take anything from the ugly sisters???

We have took points from both as did Motherwell yesterday and they have absolutely nothing as far as league goes to play for unlike the other 4 teams.

I think your being a little harsh on the team Dundee United didn't secure top 6 for us we secured it ourselves over 33 matches.

Yes, yesterday was disappointing as was losing out on 3 points but that one result won't define our season we now have a 5 match season with one aim to finish above Hibs do that and it will be an amazing season.

8 hours ago, saint in exile said:

I agree, it was the significance at the end of the game that made it easier to swallow.

The game itself was dreadful, one of the worst I’ve seen for a few seasons.  I don’t want to blame Killie but I’m afraid the time wasting, injury feigning and high balls didn’t help.

None of the players were anywhere near their best.

Better to get that sort of performance out of the way because the proverbial 5 cup finals await.

Said yesterday it was about getting 6th place, I really don't think we have the squad or money to create a squad that could do Europe this year. Take the opportunity this year to get the squad sorted out early, get us right for pre season and League Cup then top 6 for next season and a push for the euro spots in earnest.

Top 6 mission achieved. 

One area that we do need to address though is how poor we are when going in favourites against struggling teams.  Like the Dundee cup game we never showed up here.  We don't seem to be able to stretch teams and use the width to make runs and get in crosses.

6th place is an achievement in a sense but it’s just an extra league position and some extra cash at the end of the day.  Partick got it a few years ago and celebrated it as a huge success and then plummeted immediately after the split and have still never recovered.  

With 5 places on the go for European football, the real prize has to be securing that. That’s what would make  a real memory for me and generations of fans who have never seen us in Europe.  

If we don’t get it, it’s essential that the club/manager/players has the mentality to use the top six finish as a springboard to repeatedly challenging, rather than as a one off success. 

Edited by Maboza

42 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Said yesterday it was about getting 6th place, I really don't think we have the squad or money to create a squad that could do Europe this year. Take the opportunity this year to get the squad sorted out early, get us right for pre season and League Cup then top 6 for next season and a push for the euro spots in earnest.

That is a very good point.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

5th place gets us Europe and you said we can still get it.

Why do you think nobody will take anything from the ugly sisters???

We have took points from both as did Motherwell yesterday and they have absolutely nothing as far as league goes to play for unlike the other 4 teams.

I think your being a little harsh on the team Dundee United didn't secure top 6 for us we secured it ourselves over 33 matches.

Yes, yesterday was disappointing as was losing out on 3 points but that one result won't define our season we now have a 5 match season with one aim to finish above Hibs do that and it will be an amazing season.

If we finish 5th and ICT or Falkirk beat the Ugly Sisters, we will not qualify for Europe. 

If we finish 5th, we'll surely all be supporting whichever Sister gets to the final? 

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

Well put, but i an of the opinion that Saints fans think we are far better than most of the other clubs. 

I just don't think we are, although the league table would disagree with me. 

I don't know of any Saints fans who are arrogant enough to think that.

However, over the season so far, we clearly are a bit better than the teams that are in the bottom six.

I just don't get fans that constantly belittle any positives that happen at the club. Why even bother "supporting" us?

I'm not including you in that category.

Edited by FTOF

5 minutes ago, W6er said:

If we finish 5th and ICT or Falkirk beat the Ugly Sisters, we will not qualify for Europe. 

If we finish 5th, we'll surely all be supporting whichever Sister gets to the final? 

Hear you... but whatever half of the OF get to the final will thrash their opponents.... 5 going on 7 

36 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Top 6 mission achieved. 

One area that we do need to address though is how poor we are when going in favourites against struggling teams.  Like the Dundee cup game we never showed up here.  We don't seem to be able to stretch teams and use the width to make runs and get in crosses.

Big Ayunga is a huge miss for us in that respect.

When he's on his game he causes defences a lot of problems.

Sadly Watt has turned out to be as much use as Brophy so far.

I live in hope......................

The amount of doom and gloom from certain individuals over what is a first for the club, top 6 finish, is shocking. We were pish yesterday, no question, but we beat the champions elect at home, nobody else has done this. We beat Hearts at Tynecastle, had rangers worried for 75 minutes and took a point of them earlier in the season. This season we have also beat Aberdeen twice and hibs once. So who is to say we can't make a go of it in the last 5 games. Cheer up miserable sods, even if it's not realistic we make top 3 or 4, we are at the business end of the league instead of wondering if we will get sucked into a relegation battle. 

Big Ayunga is a huge miss for us in that respect.
When he's on his game he causes defences a lot of problems.
Sadly Watt has turned out to be as much use as Brophy so far.
I live in hope......................
Said that a few weeks ago if he hadn't been injured think we would have got top 6 before yesterday not for his goals just his all round play.

Look at the teams above us the 5 biggest teams in Scotland by an absolute mile with everyone of them having at least one 15/20 goal per season striker (Aberdeen have 2 WTF) yet we are the best of the rest with Curtis Main on 7 goals.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Said that a few weeks ago if he hadn't been injured think we would have got top 6 before yesterday not for his goals just his all round play.

Look at the teams above us the 5 biggest teams in Scotland by an absolute mile with everyone of them having at least one 15/20 goal per season striker (Aberdeen have 2 WTF) yet we are the best of the rest with Curtis Main on 7 goals.

Unfortunately finding and being able to afford a goal scoring striker for a team like us is like finding the holy grail.

If Main goes and we could somehow find some club daft enough to take Brophy off our hands, every penny should be put into finding a striker that can score double figures, ideally towards the 15-20 goal mark. 

Motherwell seemed to have lucked out with Van Veen, although even he was getting pelters from their fans earlier in the season. So there must be suitable targets out there. This should be Foyle's priority.

Unfortunately finding and being able to afford a goal scoring striker for a team like us is like finding the holy grail.
If Main goes and we could somehow find some club daft enough to take Brophy off our hands, every penny should be put into finding a striker that can score double figures, ideally towards the 15-20 goal mark. 
Motherwell seemed to have lucked out with Van Veen, although even he was getting pelters from their fans earlier in the season. So there must be suitable targets out there. This should be Foyle's priority.

Nisbet was attracting interest from almost every top flight club before opting for Hibs,
Akinyemi of Ayr United is in the same category will have interest from England and Scotland but would the prospect of European Football tempt him to St Mirren???

First priority is to keep Robinson and O'Hara as the downside to a wee diddy team punching above their weight is a slightly bigger diddy teams wants your manager and players and have more money.

Be Surprised if Hearts don't have a serious look at Robinson although their fans don't seem too keen on him.