St Johnstone v St Mirren SPFL PREMIERSHIP 6/12/23

shull

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Bit of a free hit against the blue, bigoted tourists on Sunday.

Really need to be getting back on track for this one though. Performance is almost as important as the result here imo. 

It’s always a free hit away to either side of the scum.  
I agree that we need to be getting our shit together again & pdq. 
As you say, the performance is important , to take anything from this game would be nice but we need to see a reaction from the players after a few pretty low performances recently. 

We need to win this one as the fakes will be looking to reverse that defeat in Paisley which marked their low-point, getting a point or better against us will be seen as proof they are going somewhere again.  We should be targetting Clarke for some harsh treatment as he is a thorn in our flesh, he annoys me so much I think we should sign him at the next window.

Winning on Wednesdsay would get the tails up again, Hearts are unlikely to get a win v rangers so we could be challenging for 3rd place again and beating Ross County & Motherwell after a win in Perth could see us in a match to consolidate 3rd place again at Tynecastle right before Crimbo, Happy holidays and it all starts in a soul-free trench on the outskirts of Perth this week

3 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Another tough away match, one win in the last ten trips to Perth.

For some reason we usually struggle at Mcdairmid for 3 pts. Even when they're having a poor season we fall short.

Hopefully Wednesday will be different. 

The Saintees will be smarting from the, probably undeserved, pumping from us in Paisley and, as has been said already, we seem to struggle in Perth no matter the form of the teams so I go in hope of a win rather than expectation. 

We really need to get back to playing to our strengths rather than aimlessly humping the ball up the park in the hope of winning the second ball.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Best to ignore him.

Takes "pessimistic" to a whole new level. 👎

I don't think pessimism is unreasonable given our form.

Our support will reflect society in general. Some people will have a ridiculously optimistic outlook, like @shull who always seems to predict 3-0 victories, at the other end of the scale there will be folk like @elvis. Most of us will fall somewhere in between. I think it's a bit pointless to berate people for their lack of confidence in the team at this time. On the contrary, I find the overly optimistic types to be more irritating.

This is our current away form:

Screenshot2023-12-0512_46_33.png.b1be84501c9f1eea57fea5b845f73e69.png

Drawn - Lost - Lost -Lost - Lost...do you not see a pattern, here?

Admittedly, two of those losses were to the Old Firm, so perhaps the picture's not as bleak as it first appears. However, we got hammered by Dundee and managed one shot on target away to Ross County.

We have a good squad and an excellent manager, but anybody who does not accept that something has gone wrong is in denial.

I would happily take a draw tomorrow night and would be delighted with a win. I thought our performance at Ibrox was pretty good and I'm hoping we return to our early-season form, but I cannot blame folk for feeling pessimistic. 

17 minutes ago, W6er said:

Our support will reflect society in general. Some people will have a ridiculously optimistic outlook, like @shull who always seems to predict 3-0 victories, at the other end of the scale there will be folk like @elvis. Most of us will fall somewhere in between. I think it's a bit pointless to berate people for their lack of confidence in the team at this time. On the contrary, I find the overly optimistic types to be more irritating.

Drawn - Lost - Lost -Lost - Lost...do you not see a pattern, here?

Admittedly, two of those losses were to the Old Firm, so perhaps the picture's not as bleak as it first appears. However, we got hammered by Dundee and managed one shot on target away to Ross County.

We have a good squad and an excellent manager, but anybody who does not accept that something has gone wrong is in denial.

I would happily take a draw tomorrow night and would be delighted with a win. I thought our performance at Ibrox was pretty good and I'm hoping we return to our early-season form, but I cannot blame folk for feeling pessimistic. 

No offence mate, but I can't be doing with this happy with a point bollocks (and by the way, I'm not picking on you because you're not the only one to have said it).

We are the team sitting in 4th place playing against the second bottom team. That doesn't mean I think we have a divine right to win, but I certainly won't be "happy" with a draw. On the contrary I'd be very disappointed with a draw in a match such as this (if this isn't the type of match where we should be targeting/expecting a win, I don't know what is). I'd be more than disappointed with a defeat.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

23 minutes ago, W6er said:

I’d put little faith in info from that image.

1.  It speaks of “footy”.  
2. It speaks of “Rangers”?

3. It speaks of “Saint Mirren”.

finger on the pulse - not.

Edited by antrin

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No offence mate, but I can't be doing with this happy with a point bollocks (and by the way, I'm not picking on you because you're not the only one to have said it it).

We are the team sitting in 4th place playing against the second bottom team. That doesn't mean I think we have a divine right to win, but I certainly won't be "happy" with a draw. On the contrary I'd be very disappointed with a draw in a match such as this (if this isn't the type of match where we should be targeting/expecting a win, I don't know what is). I'd be more than disappointed with a defeat.

It's a discussion forum. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want to read other people's views, particularly of my own opinion. No offence taken at all.

I would say that FORM IS FAR MORE SIGNIFICANT THAN LEAGUE STANDINGS. This is St. Johnstone's home form:

Screenshot2023-12-0513_12_53.png.9ff2061282db411129a2f6bf9722122a.png

Drawn - Won - Drawn - Won - Lost

Their loss came against the Scottish Champions, whom they led for a good portion of the game. 

So, we have a home team that has taken eight points from their last five home games, versus a team that has taken one point from their last five away games.

They looked a poor side when they visited Paisley, that's true, but they seem to have found some form and now have Levein in charge.

2 hours ago, W6er said:

It's a discussion forum. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want to read other people's views, particularly of my own opinion. No offence taken at all.

I would say that FORM IS FAR MORE SIGNIFICANT THAN LEAGUE STANDINGS. This is St. Johnstone's home form:

Screenshot2023-12-0513_12_53.png.9ff2061282db411129a2f6bf9722122a.png

Drawn - Won - Drawn - Won - Lost

Their loss came against the Scottish Champions, whom they led for a good portion of the game. 

So, we have a home team that has taken eight points from their last five home games, versus a team that has taken one point from their last five away games.

They looked a poor side when they visited Paisley, that's true, but they seem to have found some form and now have Levein in charge.

I guess that's where we differ. Their form over a handful of games is not enough to make me "happy with a draw".

'Pessimism' and 'pessimistic' are perhaps too strong, but I certainly think we will travel with a degree of apprehension tonight.

I agree with W6er that current form is a better indicator than league placings.

Not so long ago I would have said we should collect 6 or 7 points at least from our next 3 games (St Johnstone, Ross County, Motherwell), but now I have to drop that estimate to 4 or 5 points. The first 2 teams have new managers and seem to have turned a corner. Like us, Motherwell are on a bad run and continue to struggle.

This is SR's first real challenge of the season. He needs to get the players out of the rut and back to the form we showed in early season. Can he do it? I sincerely hope so. So.........

COYS!

4 hours ago, pondsman said:

'Pessimism' and 'pessimistic' are perhaps too strong, but I certainly think we will travel with a degree of apprehension tonight.

I agree with W6er that current form is a better indicator than league placings.

Not so long ago I would have said we should collect 6 or 7 points at least from our next 3 games (St Johnstone, Ross County, Motherwell), but now I have to drop that estimate to 4 or 5 points. The first 2 teams have new managers and seem to have turned a corner. Like us, Motherwell are on a bad run and continue to struggle.

This is SR's first real challenge of the season. He needs to get the players out of the rut and back to the form we showed in early season. Can he do it? I sincerely hope so. So.........

COYS!

Absolutely. The form I posted is specific to home and away games, too. It stretches back to 30th September...over NINE WEEKS AGO! Our form over that period is far more significant than our league standing, which takes into consideration home matches and away games played in the summer (as defined by the solstices). 

It's a funny thing, but there seems to be an almost primitive superstition on here; it is the notion that if we believe we'll win, it will happen. So folk turn on @elvis or accuse me, and others, of being negative. It's nonsense. The only way that the discussion on this forum can influence the team is if they read it, or are otherwise informed of its content. However, if we're going to be concerned about that, then the logical conclusion is that we should not be criticising players or the team in match threads, etc.

Personally, I prefer realism. I would be content with a draw tonight, delighted with a win. :) 

8 minutes ago, W6er said:

Absolutely. The form I posted is specific to home and away games, too. It stretches back to 30th September...over NINE WEEKS AGO! Our form over that period is far more significant than our league standing, which takes into consideration home matches and away games played in the summer (as defined by the solstices). 

It's a funny thing, but there seems to be an almost primitive superstition on here; it is the notion that if we believe we'll win, it will happen. So folk turn on @elvis or accuse me, and others, of being negative. It's nonsense. The only way that the discussion on this forum can influence the team is if they read it, or are otherwise informed of its content. However, if we're going to be concerned about that, then the logical conclusion is that we should not be criticising players or the team in match threads, etc.

Personally, I prefer realism. I would be content with a draw tonight, delighted with a win. :) 

Wait a fecking minute.

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to defend elvis?

He's not negative, he's a few sandwiched short of a picnic.

he is almost in hysterics when we lose a goal/game.

He almost NEVER points out any positives and his "predictions" are almost a copy and paste week after week.

Now you're another kettle of fish.

Even when we were on a good run you settled into your "I'd be happy with a draw" patter.

Nip up to the hospital, get those fence splinters picked out of your arse. 

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wait a fecking minute.

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to defend elvis?

He's not negative, he's a few sandwiched short of a picnic.

he is almost in hysterics when we lose a goal/game.

He almost NEVER points out any positives and his "predictions" are almost a copy and paste week after week.

Now you're another kettle of fish.

Even when we were on a good run you settled into your "I'd be happy with a draw" patter.

Nip up to the hospital, get those fence splinters picked out of your arse. 

If he pays his dues, he's entitled to his views! :) 

By all accounts he goes home and away...