St Mirren v Kilmarnock SPFL PREMIERSHIP 27/12/23

shull

14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

For me, the Ayunga & Nachmani partnership against County looked the most promising.

didn’t score against Motherwell & he brings in Grieve & Olusanya who have done nothing to suggest they deserve to start. 

give Ayunga & Nachmani 4-5 games to form a partnership. Move some of the other deadwood on in January. 

Have a "like" for this post, Sir!

Unfortunately now I'll be accused of being your alias by you know who! :zipit

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I agree that we should persevere with Nahmani but Ayunga is a waste of a jersey. Mandron should be given a run. And they need to be given time to show what they can do. Robinson needs to stop chopping and changing from game to game. It's a sign of panic and does nothing to build any rapport or confidence in any of the strike partners.

Agreed. Anywhere he fancies.

22 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

For me, the Ayunga & Nachmani partnership against County looked the most promising.

didn’t score against Motherwell & he brings in Grieve & Olusanya who have done nothing to suggest they deserve to start. 

give Ayunga & Nachmani 4-5 games to form a partnership. Move some of the other deadwood on in January. 

Agreed , I said at half-time that Nahmani should be on 2nd half to give them something different to think about , as the Olusanya pace thing wasn't working !

We're on a bad run and confidence is obviously low, but this group of players and management are the same ones getting all the plaudits earlier in the season. Getting rid of half the squad isn't always the answer when a team is struggling. 

We are really struggling just now - second to too many second balls tonight. Only when Connor Mac came on did we look threatening. Feel a bit for Robbo as he’s given all forward options a try and nothing seems to be working. Think we need some wheeling and dealing in the Jan window if we want to challenge for top 6.

9 minutes ago, Dare said:

We are really struggling just now - second to too many second balls tonight. Only when Connor Mac came on did we look threatening. Feel a bit for Robbo as he’s given all forward options a try and nothing seems to be working. Think we need some wheeling and dealing in the Jan window if we want to challenge for top 6.

That, of course, could be playing a part in the lack of success.  No consistency in forward partnerships, no understanding of where other players may be, react, run…

Practice makes perfect, but if you keep changing the keys/strings/notes the tune gets discordant.

I look at the team list weekly and think these are (mostly) good players.  This should be ok this time…

it’ll come good.👍 

10 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Can’t believe I’ve just liked 3 of Baz posts & I agree 100% with this one ( although Ayunga was mince tonight !,) 

If we’re going to play 2 up front we need to persevere, no point in giving the likes of Nahmani 20 mins to try and salvage a point . 

As for stats, yes, we had more shots on target but really , how many looked like scoring ?  Powder puff hits, sclaffed shots and one thunderbolt from Taylor which went straight at their keeper. And the last time I checked, you don’t get a bonus point for having most possession. 

need to ship a few out , Olusanya has reverted to the player who couldn’t get a start for Arbroath , Grieve seems like a decent wee fella but sorry, he’s not got it at this level.  Taylor seems to have been taking the Charles Dunne defending courses ……you’re NOT Beckenbaur son !!   We’ve got Mandron for another year so little chance he’ll be going anywhere .
McMenamin needs to start showing why we paid so much for him, he did manage to get a couple of crosses in tonight but we need to see his early season performances more often.

I sincerely hope we can turn this round but with Sevco, septic, Dons & Hibs as our next four games it’s a big ask at this stage. 

38 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Can’t believe I’ve just liked 3 of Baz posts & I agree 100% with this one ( although Ayunga was mince tonight !,) 

If we’re going to play 2 up front we need to persevere, no point in giving the likes of Nahmani 20 mins to try and salvage a point . 

As for stats, yes, we had more shots on target but really , how many looked like scoring ?  Powder puff hits, sclaffed shots and one thunderbolt from Taylor which went straight at their keeper. And the last time I checked, you don’t get a bonus point for having most possession. 

need to ship a few out , Olusanya has reverted to the player who couldn’t get a start for Arbroath , Grieve seems like a decent wee fella but sorry, he’s not got it at this level.  Taylor seems to have been taking the Charles Dunne defending courses ……you’re NOT Beckenbaur son !!   We’ve got Mandron for another year so little chance he’ll be going anywhere .
McMenamin needs to start showing why we paid so much for him, he did manage to get a couple of crosses in tonight but we need to see his early season performances more often.

I sincerely hope we can turn this round but with Sevco, septic, Dons & Hibs as our next four games it’s a big ask at this stage. 

Agreed although we’re halfway through the season and we’d have taken this position at the start of it.

Don't want to place too much emphasis on this, but I felt Ryan Strain was the one player who made us tick during the first part od the season. He seemed to be able to get the whole team into an attacking position. What's more, Conor McMenamin, linking up with Strain, was also a real threat on the right wing (despite the fact he is left footed).

Also, Stav Nahmani is the only striker who seems to run with real purpose and be able to decide when and who to pass to. Alex Greive is a trier and has earned the affection of most of the fans. I personally believe he will come right in the end (and I hope it is with us).

Many of our immediate opponents appear to offer more of their young players the opportunity to develop their skills in the first team, whereas the likes of Lewis Jamieson (and others before him) is struggling to get first team experience.

And as others have argued, it would be worth giving Alex Gogic a midfield role, as we seem to have plenty of cover in central defence. Hopefully Mark O'Hara will rediscover last year's form soon.

All of the above points suggest there is room for some optimism in the second half of the season.

17 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Don't want to place too much emphasis on this, but I felt Ryan Strain was the one player who made us tick during the first part od the season. He seemed to be able to get the whole team into an attacking position. What's more, Conor McMenamin, linking up with Strain, was also a real threat on the right wing (despite the fact he is left footed).

Also, Stav Nahmani is the only striker who seems to run with real purpose and be able to decide when and who to pass to. Alex Greive is a trier and has earned the affection of most of the fans. I personally believe he will come right in the end (and I hope it is with us).

Many of our immediate opponents appear to offer more of their young players the opportunity to develop their skills in the first team, whereas the likes of Lewis Jamieson (and others before him) is struggling to get first team experience.

And as others have argued, it would be worth giving Alex Gogic a midfield role, as we seem to have plenty of cover in central defence. Hopefully Mark O'Hara will rediscover last year's form soon.

All of the above points suggest there is room for some optimism in the second half of the season.

I said exactly the same about Ryan Strain last night. Hopefully he regains the early season form when he returns...in March, is it? :( 

1 hour ago, W6er said:

I said exactly the same about Ryan Strain last night. Hopefully he regains the early season form when he returns...in March, is it? :( 

Given Ryan isn't an option for a while we can only hope, all be it he has "Big boots" to fill, Elvis will "Run on" and "Rip it up" down the right. Otherwise we're likely to "Surrender" our top 6 aspirations.

14 hours ago, BanburyBud said:

Well, as good as it was to be able to attend this evening, I was left with the dreadful st Mirren of old. 
killie pressed us easily in the first half and were very well organised. they were the team we were in the first ten games of the season. 
what is, in my view, hard to take is lack of commitment and effort from many of our players tonight. Baccus, for example, didn’t even get his socks dirty and clearly not wanting to get injured before international duty. 
Our captain, for whatever reason, has lost it all positioning, ball control, passing. The boy needs a break for his own good. 
from the first whistle we didn’t look up for it. 
tansers creativity has been stifled and Gogic is wasted in defence. 
all in all there are no positives to take from this game and credit to the vocal away support. 
back to the drawing board I’m afraid and based on current form a dramatic slide down the table looks imminent. 
good to be home for a game though 

Ever since the cup game at Easter rd it's been obvious.  If the opposition get in amongst us early and keep at it then we simply don't perform.  Anyone watching that game could see how easy it is to knock us out of our stride and I think the spine of the team is missing.  Without a decent centre half who is not gaffe-prone like Taylor & Dunne we are forced to play Gogic there when the team is better with him slightly forward.  That leaves O'Hara exposed and there is not central striker option at the club.

Strain has been a big loss as his final ball has been more successful than what we get down the left and he gave the midfield a breather with his runs, Small looks a definite prospect and i think we should have Fraser on the right and Thiery in left back.

McMenamin hasn't produced any goods yet and we paid a fee for him, with hindsight there were maybe better options around at the time however he didn't seem to be a punt for the manager, he was hell-bent on getting him in and unless Conor turns it around after the break I'm afraid it will be time to cut that particular loss pretty soon.

We could still threaten top 6 again and I'd be contant with that.  If we can maintain that status then the manager would deserve another year, which would depend heavily on his January and summer signing targets.  The board should look very critically at the names he puts forward because if it still doesn't look right at that stage then a decision point has been reached.  The model is to supposedly bring in talented underperformers, turn them round and sell on for a profit. A good strategy that relies on a good eye, so far the only decent money we have made in years has been in selling on the youth-scheme graduates.  That tells a story that neither the board nor the manager have the industry nous needed to build us beyond the current level and we will slowly sink into another downward cycle.

16 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Ever since the cup game at Easter rd it's been obvious.  If the opposition get in amongst us early and keep at it then we simply don't perform.  Anyone watching that game could see how easy it is to knock us out of our stride and I think the spine of the team is missing.  Without a decent centre half who is not gaffe-prone like Taylor & Dunne we are forced to play Gogic there when the team is better with him slightly forward.  That leaves O'Hara exposed and there is not central striker option at the club.

Strain has been a big loss as his final ball has been more successful than what we get down the left and he gave the midfield a breather with his runs, Small looks a definite prospect and i think we should have Fraser on the right and Thiery in left back.

McMenamin hasn't produced any goods yet and we paid a fee for him, with hindsight there were maybe better options around at the time however he didn't seem to be a punt for the manager, he was hell-bent on getting him in and unless Conor turns it around after the break I'm afraid it will be time to cut that particular loss pretty soon.

We could still threaten top 6 again and I'd be contant with that.  If we can maintain that status then the manager would deserve another year, which would depend heavily on his January and summer signing targets.  The board should look very critically at the names he puts forward because if it still doesn't look right at that stage then a decision point has been reached.  The model is to supposedly bring in talented underperformers, turn them round and sell on for a profit. A good strategy that relies on a good eye, so far the only decent money we have made in years has been in selling on the youth-scheme graduates.  That tells a story that neither the board nor the manager have the industry nous needed to build us beyond the current level and we will slowly sink into another downward cycle.

We are already on the downwards spiral.

26 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

You’re advocating dropping Tanser who has arguably been our player of the season so far??

4 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

I think this is all a ploy to get our Scottish Cup odds to win pushed out. 😂 

I have a gut feel that this could be our year. But I get that every season.

Our league form in 1987 was poor - but I’d happily swap a bottom 6 league finish for a Scottish cup win. 

It was 37 years ago - jings!

Anybody who wouldnae is insane! 🤯

If we were guaranteed a place in the final, I'd take that for 10th spot right now.