Next St Mirren Manager

IIRC we started the season reasonably well until a combination of Ian Ferguson putting in his transfer request plus injuries to key players like Abercromby and Money knocked us off track. Then there was player unrest (McGarvey getting punched by Bone in the tunnel during the home tie against Tromso). I think that season was as much a case of players underperforming as poor management - the more things change etc.

Don't forget Smith signed Billy Davies & Brian Martin who along with Paul Lambert formed a great unit at Motherwell.........

Yep that's how I remember it too. Derek Hamilton and Abercrombie hadn't dried out all summer long either and IIRC Fitzy also had a bit of a hissy fit in Norway. Fergie was refusing to train at the club and again IIRC McGarvey refused to play for the club again until Bone got the sack.

Walker, McWalters and Dawson were supposed to be additions to bulk up a squad that was regularly fielding YTS players but Smith was blocked by the board from getting his first choice targets. Sadly the board only opened the chequebook when Fitzy took over.

I've spent a couple of evenings in Alex Smiths company and he's never failed to impress me. Despite everything he still rates his time at St Mirren as his best in football.

Yep that's how I remember it too. Derek Hamilton and Abercrombie hadn't dried out all summer long either and IIRC Fitzy also had a bit of a hissy fit in Norway. Fergie was refusing to train at the club and again IIRC McGarvey refused to play for the club again until Bone got the sack.

Walker, McWalters and Dawson were supposed to be additions to bulk up a squad that was regularly fielding YTS players but Smith was blocked by the board from getting his first choice targets. Sadly the board only opened the chequebook when Fitzy took over.

I've spent a couple of evenings in Alex Smiths company and he's never failed to impress me. Despite everything he still rates his time at St Mirren as his best in football.

Stuart, part of the reason that the chequebook wasn't opened in the close season after winning the cup was because we hadn't sold Ian Ferguson by that stage!..

As soon as he went then Smith signed Brian Martin & Mike Conroy.

Edited by nosferatu

He was a 33 year old manager in training at the time!

Do you honestly not think that an internationally respected coach might have picked up a thing or two in the following 30 years?

His man management skills were rotton for sure... young managers are often bullish.

Football under him was nowhere as bad as it is being painted out to be... and positivrly Brazilian compared to Smiths snorefest!

As BTB points out it all went wrong for Smith when Rangers had bids of up to 750k rejected for Ferguson and Ferguson refused to play for us again, this was followed with the McGarvey and Bone bust up.

Miller is not the solution to our problems in my opinion we will only get worse if he comes in. He is once again the cheap option and cheap options have cost the BOD fortune so far. Craig and Teale.

Billy Davies should be our P1 appointment. The only negative I see is Davies distances himself from the fans. Murray made that mistake and with pish poor performances cost him his job.

I do believe Davies can turn us around within a few weeks, and get us moving up the league in the right direction.

The next few weeks is going to be one of the biggest tests the BOD that they have ever faced. Get it wrong again and we will implode.

The only thing we can do is get right behind the New Manager when appointed. Not too sure we would have that commitment if if was Mr. Barry Ferguson ........ Time will tell .... Just hope it's Mr. Billy Davies

Usual suspects in today's papers being thrown about with no real basis behind them - Alex Rae, Jimmy Calderwood, Stuart McCall, Barry Ferguson, Kenny McDowall etc. The Sun claims Jamie Fullarton would be interested again.

And then there's this Greek guy: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/st-mirren/greek-coach-savas-pantelidis-applies-for-st-mirren-job-1-3974755

Papers differ from the board taking their time to get the new man to him being in place by the weekend.

Usual suspects in today's papers being thrown about with no real basis behind them - Alex Rae, Jimmy Calderwood, Stuart McCall, Barry Ferguson, Kenny McDowall etc. The Sun claims Jamie Fullarton would be interested again.

And then there's this Greek guy: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/st-mirren/greek-coach-savas-pantelidis-applies-for-st-mirren-job-1-3974755

Papers differ from the board taking their time to get the new man to him being in place by the weekend.

Looking at his wikipedia page he's been with 6 clubs in the last 8 years which isn't a great sign. Don't know if he has left by choice or been fired mind you.

Bound to be loads of applications. Wee tip for the BoD on how to quickly get to a short list. Just discount any applicant that's likely to go giddy at the thought of a visit to The International Rangers Club, any applicant who has already stabbed the club in the back and any applicant likely to bore us to death with negative football. So out of the running go

Ian Ferguson - on two counts

Barry Ferguson

Stuart Mccall

Bomber Brown

Jamie Fullerton

Billy Reid

Alex Miller

Bound to be loads of applications. Wee tip for the BoD on how to quickly get to a short list. Just discount any applicant that's likely to go giddy at the thought of a visit to The International Rangers Club, any applicant who has already stabbed the club in the back and any applicant likely to bore us to death with negative football. So out of the running go

Ian Ferguson - on two counts

Barry Ferguson

Stuart Mccall

Bomber Brown

Jamie Fullerton

Billy Reid

Alex Miller

Miller also guilty on two counts - boring football and love of RIFC.

Would anyone put it past this out of touch board to appoint Barry 'f**king' Ferguson?

It really would be "could the last Bud off the West Bank please switch out the lights as you leave"

Even I don't think the board could be that stupid but just in case I'll start the first chorus.

Barry, Barry GTF, Barry GTF !

Would be harder to chant for him to GTF when it goes wrong IMO.

"Pantelidis get to f**k. Pantelidis Pantelidis get to f**k"

Nha doesn't quite work.

Stuart, part of the reason that the chequebook wasn't opened in the close season after winning the cup was because we hadn't sold Ian Ferguson by that stage!..

As soon as he went then Smith signed Brian Martin & Mike Conroy.

But the club had sold Stevie Clarke and made £300k out of the deal, plus Les Fridge. Derek Hamilton was signed after that deal but I don't remember anyone else coming in until Walker, Dawson and McWalters.

We must appoint the correct man this time around, absolutely no margin for error. We are in the shit big time and relegation this season would have catastrophic affect.

I think we'll go for a steady the ship type older manager who'll come in and have us playing very defensive football and shitfest it till the end of the season to avoid relegation.

It won't be pretty but it's what we need.

But the club had sold Stevie Clarke and made £300k out of the deal, plus Les Fridge. Derek Hamilton was signed after that deal but I don't remember anyone else coming in until Walker, Dawson and McWalters.

Derek Hamilton was signed around 3 years before Clarke was sold!

I think he was Miller's first signing!

Walker, Dawson and McWalter cost £130k in transfer fees!

Sneak preview of the BOD plan for the next manager. (Just off the secretarial PC)

1. Great guys - lots of interest in our vacancy. So how much money do they want, this is our primary selection factor? What if they all want more than we want to pay? (Plan B - see No. 2.)

2. Who internally can take the job so that we can have a manager for free? (Thomo - we are paying him to sit on the bench and he is expensive. OR we could reinstate Goodwin after making him coach and then trying to push him oot the door. Alternative Miller - he does not want the job, but he is working on the cheap already. OR we could move up David Longwell)

3. What do we say to the managerial candidates when they ask about budget? (Tell them we will support signings that are right for St. Mirren and within our budget [ waffle if they want to know what that means] ). We can also spout the usual stuff about getting some players out to free up more dosh.

4. Lets not get too bogged down on minor issues like can they manage to pick a team and motivate the players or speak well to the media - Next to how cheap we can sign them for is our 2nd priority - can they get us some better players on the cheap?

5. Should we include a pay off clause that puts St. Mirren in a better position next time?

6. A.O.B (We need to get our share price up a bit)

maybe its the right time to give Fullarton a try , he has experience working in the championship and could hopefully use his contacts to bring in the right loan signings , Stuart McCall would be a great choice as would Callum Davidson ,

Davidson would be excellent but I very much doubt he'd leave the fakes.