Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

40 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's 20 years old.

If we sign him on a season long loan and he scores 15 goals next season, we have the option to make that permanent for I see elsewhere he's out of contract and we'd be able to get him for a development fee.

They're not daft.  We have agreed a contract which stipulates the option to buy is £250K.  

3 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

If he suddenly ups his value to £2 million plus then I'd say we might have some trouble enforcing that option without passing on a big chunk of the future fee to his parent club

But as i said, the record is hardly reliable 

If it's correct what is being reported in the Record then we'll have no trouble enforcing it regardless of his true value unless the parent club insert a clause to pay us money to exit the optional fee.

Any sell ons percentages will be negotiated in the loan agreement and future fee. The selling club, if they write down that we have option to buy for £250k, cannot then go 'well yes but we also want 25% of what you flog him on for'. If it's not written down, then we'd have no issues.

Rangers saw similar with Tillman recently but they did have a clause inserted where Bayern could pay a fee to Rangers (£1m) to cancel the £5m future sale clause and a percentage of whatever they do sell him on for eventually (now rumoured to be £10m) so in that scenario Rangers would get £2m for not buying Tillman but that isn't a standard with 'option to buy' loan agreements.

5 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I see the option to buy is set at £250000 . That’ll be a season loan then 😂

Depends on how many goals he scores , if he's a flop it's a loan but if he bangs a good few in then £250k will be peanuts, look at Van Veen, decent season and off to Holland for apparently£700k.

If he works out as well as strain has then he'll do for me 

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If it's correct what is being reported in the Record then we'll have no trouble enforcing it regardless of his true value unless the parent club insert a clause to pay us money to exit the optional fee.

Any sell ons percentages will be negotiated in the loan agreement and future fee. The selling club, if they write down that we have option to buy for £250k, cannot then go 'well yes but we also want 25% of what you flog him on for'. If it's not written down, then we'd have no issues.

Rangers saw similar with Tillman recently but they did have a clause inserted where Bayern could pay a fee to Rangers (£1m) to cancel the £5m future sale clause and a percentage of whatever they do sell him on for eventually (now rumoured to be £10m) so in that scenario Rangers would get £2m for not buying Tillman but that isn't a standard with 'option to buy' loan agreements.

From what i have seen in my work life, contracts are open to interpretation and dispute, often considered the basis for future arguments rather than completely binding and the more money involved then the more likelihood there is of future disputes.  

We simply do not know what is in the contract and my comments are around the possibility that if Mahmani shows up well with loads of goals before christmas then you might well see something like a recall or early termination clause being triggered.  The other option we have is to fork out the £250k early on a hunch rather than on solid information

Not that he has shown to be anything like worth it so far, but if I were involved in his parent club and we were looking at selling a (for the sake of argument) £ 5 million player for $250k then the first thing I would do is lock myself in a room with said contracts and look at how i could lever up my club's cut.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

From what i have seen in my work life, contracts are open to interpretation and dispute, often considered the basis for future arguments rather than completely binding and the more money involved then the more likelihood there is of future disputes.  

We simply do not know what is in the contract and my comments are around the possibility that if Mahmani shows up well with loads of goals before christmas then you might well see something like a recall or early termination clause being triggered.  The other option we have is to fork out the £250k early on a hunch rather than on solid information

Not that he has shown to be anything like worth it so far, but if I were involved in his parent club and we were looking at selling a (for the sake of argument) £ 5 million player for $250k then the first thing I would do is lock myself in a room with said contracts and look at how i could lever up my club's cut.

My whole work-life has been in and around Employment Contracts and Recruitment across a wide spectrum of industries (Sports in general and football in particular on occasion)......there will be clauses and stipulations in the contract (sell on clauses, appearances after transfer, international appearances etc) but any club worth their salt and commercially aware, I believe currently St Mirren are, will have taken all of this into consideration before entering into contract. Worst case scenario for St Mirren will be that he's a dud and we've wasted some money on wages, best case is that he's a star who we have helped develop and will reap at least some of that reward if he moves on for decent money......mid-range is that he's worth his wages as a player for a year but it goes no further.  I don't see how this changes St Mirren's strategy from being a club that develops for sell-on which is what I think your original point was.

3 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

My whole work-life has been in and around Employment Contracts and Recruitment across a wide spectrum of industries (Sports in general and football in particular on occasion)......there will be clauses and stipulations in the contract (sell on clauses, appearances after transfer, international appearances etc) but any club worth their salt and commercially aware, I believe currently St Mirren are, will have taken all of this into consideration before entering into contract. Worst case scenario for St Mirren will be that he's a dud and we've wasted some money on wages, best case is that he's a star who we have helped develop and will reap at least some of that reward if he moves on for decent money......mid-range is that he's worth his wages as a player for a year but it goes no further.  I don't see how this changes St Mirren's strategy from being a club that develops for sell-on which is what I think your original point was.

My point was really that the strategy may not hold up very well if we take on risks of £250k to land a fairly unknown quantity.  

2 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

My point was really that the strategy may not hold up very well if we take on risks of £250k to land a fairly unknown quantity.  

No argument there but I'd expect that the 250K risk will only occur if the club believe he has a sell-on value due to his performances......fingers crossed that is what happens.

1 minute ago, WeeBud said:

No argument there but I'd expect that the 250K risk will only occur if the club believe he has a sell-on value due to his performances......fingers crossed that is what happens.

I see the McGinn Golden Goose won't be dropping for us any time soon.  New long-term contract announced with Villa announced just now

6 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I see the McGinn Golden Goose won't be dropping for us any time soon.  New long-term contract announced with Villa announced just now

A wee bit disappointing in the short-term but I suppose it increases any fee anyone would have to pay for him if there's a move to be had over he next couple of years.

275k is very low in my eyes for someone with a year left and played in the world cup. It upsets me to think if it was say Motherwell or the other teams that finished top 6 this season they would command more than that reported amount. 

I would be upset to see him go as been good for us, but I'd be more upset of O'Hara or Strain were to go for that kind of money. 

It could also be that this is a fee that was agreed when he signed for us as some sort of release clause?! 

I would hope for some major add-on's in this whole situation. 

If we announce Baccus going officially I hope we quickly announce others after it to try get fans not to melt down. 

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

275k is very low in my eyes for someone with a year left and played in the world cup. It upsets me to think if it was say Motherwell or the other teams that finished top 6 this season they would command more than that reported amount. 

I would be upset to see him go as been good for us, but I'd be more upset of O'Hara or Strain were to go for that kind of money. 

It could also be that this is a fee that was agreed when he signed for us as some sort of release clause?! 

I would hope for some major add-on's in this whole situation. 

If we announce Baccus going officially I hope we quickly announce others after it to try get fans not to melt down. 

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

It may have been written in his contract before he arrived that a fee of £275k (I don’t know if that was the fee or not and I doubt anyone else does) would allow him to speak to the buying club….he was worth nothing when he arrived on a two-year deal and we’ve got a season out of him plus whatever fee and add-ons going into the final year of his contract, it’s not the worst piece of business ever and we had no idea he was going to play for his country and/or a World Cup.

I wish him well and enjoyed both watching him perform and listening to his positive chat about all things St Mirren.

16 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

It may have been written in his contract before he arrived that a fee of £275k (I don’t know if that was the fee or not and I doubt anyone else does) would allow him to speak to the buying club….

Agree with you on the possible release fee that many agents introduce into contracts these days to allow their clients to move forward in their careers. 

We also received a decent amount of compensation from FIFA for his time at the World Cup.

I’m sure the board have secured the best deal possible. Good luck to him.

Gies a signing!

At least a “36 goal a season” striker with that transfer booty! 😂 

6 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

On the plus side. IF a bigger club was interested, they will need to up the anti now.

15 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Mooy is a free player now!

My only real recollection of his time with us on the park was scoring against Rangers on Christmas Eve.

He seemed to be preferred by Lennon to be used to power the floodlights with the static bike at the corner of the main stand and family stand. 

What a career he has had since he left us. Same goes for Mahrez. 😂 

There must be something about push bikes in Paisley!

16 hours ago, WeeBud said:

It may have been written in his contract before he arrived that a fee of £275k (I don’t know if that was the fee or not and I doubt anyone else does) would allow him to speak to the buying club….he was worth nothing when he arrived on a two-year deal and we’ve got a season out of him plus whatever fee and add-ons going into the final year of his contract, it’s not the worst piece of business ever and we had no idea he was going to play for his country and/or a World Cup.

I wish him well and enjoyed both watching him perform and listening to his positive chat about all things St Mirren.

I would have hoped that a sfrategy of developing to sell would not be based on low release-clause thresholds 

it takes away the control and continuity with poor reward, possibly only 10 s of thousands after his salary agents fees living costs and management fees have been met by the club

what next, O’Hara to Bury for80 k?

14 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

O’hara to Celtic……you heard it here first 

If that's the case then a much different situation from Baccus, given that O'Hara still has three years on his contract.

Hope it's not true though.

I can’t see Celtic being interested in O’Hara. He’s the sort of signing that their supporters would not be happy with at all. 

But if they do come for him then I can’t see us getting that big a fee unless at least one other club come in for him to provide competition.

Hope it’s not true obviously!!