Next St Mirren Manager

Surely the board must take the blame. We are the only major club in Scotland who have never had a BOD with any money. As a result we have punched above our weight for decades. Look at Livingston for example, bust twice and yet every transfer window they are able to sell off young players for good money. A bugbear of mine for years is the lack of young talent through the ranks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last player we made any money on was Simon Lappin! I know there are a few this season but that is first time in years

And where are Livingston in the SPL table? Oh that's right they are a middle of the table lower league side NOT in the top league, we are. Would you swap places with them and be happy selling our best players? The development of young players will take time at NSP and will bsre fruit.

Should we just sit, nod and watch Lennon lead us down the swanny without uttering a word?

We should honour the contract of a man who won us a National Cup and let him see out the season as a minimum.

THEN make a decision.

Unless you've got a few thousand pounds crying out to be wasted?

Never sack a manager mid-season.

Of course not. My point is that as a club who has had no money for 30 years, we have punched above our weight. Of the SPL clubs today, ourselves, Killie and Partick are the clubs with the least cash and as such, will always struggle to retain their status in the top flight. I don't understand the constant negativity about the manager or individual players. A bit of realism is something Saints fans have always lacked. Unless a Ross County type sugar daddy appears on the scene, this is the reality of being a Buddie. I for one have always enjoyed the annual fight against the drop. The heady days of the eighties when we offered Dundee £1 million for Coyne and Coyle will never happen again.

Surely the board must take the blame. We are the only major club in Scotland who have never had a BOD with any money. As a result we have punched above our weight for decades. Look at Livingston for example, bust twice and yet every transfer window they are able to sell off young players for good money. A bugbear of mine for years is the lack of young talent through the ranks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last player we made any money on was Simon Lappin! I know there are a few this season but that is first time in years

There was a team up the road who had a BOD with money. Look where that got them.

Our BOD might not have money, but they have kept us in existance. (So far)

I think we got about £100k when McGinn went to Watford, but I agree with your point in general - Falkirk too seem to be able to sell youth players for this sorta fee quite regularly despite no longer being in the SP(F)L. Hearts just sold a 19-y-o striker who had played just 3 first team games (without scoring) for £150k yet this seems to be beyond us - although does Kenny McLean have to get injured each January?

Having said all that we'd be seriously fucked in terms of numbers if we were to sell one of our young first team regulars now.

I think we got about £100k when McGinn went to Watford, but I agree with your point in general - Falkirk too seem to be able to sell youth players for this sorta fee quite regularly despite no longer being in the SP(F)L. Hearts just sold a 19-y-o striker who had played just 3 first team games (without scoring) for £150k yet this seems to be beyond us - although does Kenny McLean have to get injured each January?

Having said all that we'd be seriously fucked in terms of numbers if we were to sell one of our young first team regulars now.

We signed somebody today, haven't you heard?

I get the feeling that the long knives are well and truly out for Danny and even if we avoid the play-off those braying for his blood won't be silenced. I have doubts if he will survive but we'll see. Getting rid of your manager is often a lot easier than finding someone who is any better.

Is Hartley not just another jammy sod?

This is mans livelihood you're talking about. The subject should be off limits.

By the same token, football is player's livelihood. Does that mean that we can't discuss which players should or shouldn't be playing, offered contracts, etc?

The supporter's pay Lennon's wages. Part and parcel of being a football manager is dealing with fans who do and don't like him and do or don't want him to stay.

This subject is NOT off limits.

And for the record, I think his contract should be terminated with immediate effect. clap.gif

Decent shout. He's doing a sterling job over here. Always a bit of a punt, but I suspect he might command a bit more respect from his squad than Danny does.

Sadly, I think this is Danny's Achilles' heel - I'm not sure he has the leadership qualities required to get the best from his charges. While the players have to have a hard look at themselves if they fail to buckle down and/or treat the manager like a mug, it is his responsiblity to exert his authority when required. I fear Danny is a bit too nice/soft for his own good at times.

Well the current manager came from the lower leagues with a solid record, you must be happy with him if you want to use the same template

By the same token, football is player's livelihood. Does that mean that we can't discuss which players should or shouldn't be playing, offered contracts, etc?

The supporter's pay Lennon's wages. Part and parcel of being a football manager is dealing with fans who do and don't like him and do or don't want him to stay.

This subject is NOT off limits.

And for the record, I think his contract should be terminated with immediate effect. clap.gif

I think the concern is as much about the tone and not the content. But you would consider it a compliment that the tone has been dragged down to such a level.

Also, for the guy who said the knives are out, it's a big mistake to construe the opinions of the same dozen or so people posting on a poorly-supported forum as representing the popular view. Overall, the support is split with most hoping DL can continue to improve the club. A good performance today and a win next week will chnge the complexion of a difficult season yet again

Well the current manager came from the lower leagues with a solid record, you must be happy with him if you want to use the same template

That infers all successful lower league managers are the same? It's picking the right one that's important. Someone who commands respect, who has tactical nous, who can get out the best of the players he already has, who can sign the best possible players within his budget and above all has a plan.

That infers all successful lower league managers are the same? It's picking the right one that's important. Someone who commands respect, who has tactical nous, who can get out the best of the players he already has, who can sign the best possible players within his budget and above all has a plan.

Stop digging, many felt that the above was an accurate description of DL at Cowden. You'll have to do better.

Anyone we can afford will either be equal to or less than DL or he will be a real risk. Fact

I think the concern is as much about the tone and not the content. But you would consider it a compliment that the tone has been dragged down to such a level.

Also, for the guy who said the knives are out, it's a big mistake to construe the opinions of the same dozen or so people posting on a poorly-supported forum as representing the popular view. Overall, the support is split with most hoping DL can continue to improve the club. A good performance today and a win next week will chnge the complexion of a difficult season yet again

I'm the guy who said the knives are out for Danny but I've never been one his critics. I hope he pulls things round but unless he does it in dramatic fashion (ie. a cup run or getting us to say 8th in the league) I just have the feeling it may be too late for him. The dozen or so you mention have always been at it and prove the 'empty vessels' story. What do you think the popular view is? But please save us from a poll. A lot of St.Mirren fans, and I'm one of them, don't like to criticise at all and that means neither team nor manager. Reading between the lines though, and I'm including regulars whose opinions i tend to agree with, I believe things look bleak for Danny.

I'll just add that he appears to have been totally abandoned by the BoD. All is not well in the state of St.Mirren.

Take it from me Chris , I meet a lot of people in my line of work as you know , there is broad disquiet at DLs performance since the final , not just some guys on here.

Stop digging, many felt that the above was an accurate description of DL at Cowden. You'll have to do better.

Anyone we can afford will either be equal to or less than DL or he will be a real risk. Fact

I honestly don't understand how the manager could go from meeting these criteria at Cowdenbeath to what has subsequently transpired. I'm doubting very much that he ever did unless he's lost the plot at St.Mirren. It does bring into question how rigorous the recruitment process was. I have a feeling we've wasted a great opportunity with the quality of Thompson and the demise of Sevco and Hertz to mount a serious challenge for top six.

So you tell us we cannot judge the mood of the support towards Danny because of what a dozen or so folk on a forum are saying (I agree by the way) - but then go on to tell us the support is split, and not only that, you provide even more detail, telling us most are hoping Danny can continue to improve the club.

How do you know so much about what maybe three or four thousand Buddies fans feel about the manager's situation? Based on what exactly? The 'dozen or so knives out' forumsters don't speak for the St Mirren support, and neither do you, so what's with you telling us we're split on the manager's position. Just like the knives out guys, all you should do is use the forum as a platform to express your personal opinion. You don't know one thing about how the wider support view Danny Lennon.

Personally, I think you're making things up. Convince me otherwise.

Edited by pozbaird

Fact? Really? Do you understand the definition of that word?

Ach, you... His next post will now be 'see the gang / clique' are all out with pitchforks and torches again. Cheers Drew, well done.

Boooo!

*sighs*

True, though in fairness, I was technically responding directly to a challenge he made to an earlier post of mine (albeit, somewhat.... er, indirectly).

Anyway, where are we gathering, and who is bringing the popcorn?