Next St Mirren Manager

First goal against Killie and we'll win. I respect your opinion Pozbaird and you may well be right but getting a new manager in isn't going to change the fixture list. He's got 2 weeks to get everything sorted mentally with the players and try to get some confidence back. I wonder if Butcher or Coyle were brought in over the summer whether theyd be given the same reaction after 4 similar results. I am quite surprised at the response of some of our usually level headed posters.

First goal against Killie and we'll win. I respect your opinion Pozbaird and you may well be right but getting a new manager in isn't going to change the fixture list. He's got 2 weeks to get everything sorted mentally with the players and try to get some confidence back. I wonder if Butcher or Coyle were brought in over the summer whether theyd be given the same reaction after 4 similar results. I am quite surprised at the response of some of our usually level headed posters.

at the end of the day once the players step over the white line.......

Butcher and Coyle have a bit of a track record, Tommy Craig quite frankly is a failure as a manager. You wouldn't sign a 37 year old who'd started 19 games and scored 2. So why hire a 62 year old who has managed 19 club matches and won 2? We didn't pay anyone compensation, I doubt DL's salary was shared between TC, GT & JG...cheap option!

"Yes, yes, we know you've basically done nothing in the game. Just tell us how little of a raise you need."

"Hmmm, not much...oh and I'll pick Marc..."

"Just pick?"

"I'll make him c...ca...captain..."

"Congratulations Tommy, you were our first choice."

Butcher and Coyle have a bit of a track record, Tommy Craig quite frankly is a failure as a manager. You wouldn't sign a 37 year old who'd started 19 games and scored 2. So why hire a 62 year old who has managed 19 club matches and won 2? We didn't pay anyone compensation, I doubt DL's salary was shared between TC, GT & JG...cheap option!

"Yes, yes, we know you've basically done nothing in the game. Just tell us how little of a raise you need."

"Hmmm, not much...oh and I'll pick Marc..."

"Just pick?"

"I'll make him c...ca...captain..."

"Congratulations Tommy, you were our first choice."

That has been the first thing to make me laugh at this shitfest! Congratulations sir.

TC's record as a manager speaks for itself

Goals per match

Scored Lost

P W L D F A GD 0 1 2 3 4 5 0 1 2 3 4 5

Charleroi 19 3 13 3 16 32 (16) 11 4 2 1 1 0 4 5 5 3 1 1

St. Mirren 5 1 4 0 2 8 (6) 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 3 1 1 0 0

24 4 17 3 18 40 (22) 15 4 3 1 1 0 4 8 6 4 1 1

In 24 matches in charge, his teams have failed to score in 15 of them and only kept 4 clean sheets.

Are the players really wholly to blame?

Edited by Radar

No, I don't think Butcher, Coyle, or an Ian Murray type, or a guy from England or abroad would get the same reaction after four results. Very clear why not. Tommy Craig is far from the 'new guy'. The guy who would need to start by learning the names of our players, would need to get acquainted with St Mirren from top to bottom. Danny Lennon's time was clearly up, yet the BoD appointed his assistant, who had been here for three years, who frankly has a shocking record as a No1, and who could, should, maybe, have been let go with Danny. Tommy has started by spitting the dummy in a radio interview having been asked a relevant question, has overseen four league games without as much as a goal, three of them at home, and seems to think we are well covered in all positions, and the rumours of factions and dressing room unrest involving some players persists. Maybe a Terry Butcher or Ian Murray would have come in and 'kicked some arses'. Maybe looked at the squad in the cold light of day without prejudice towards any existing squad members, and again, 'kicked arse' by strengthening in the areas we patently need strengthening in.

Every appointment is a gamble, but Tommy is getting short shift in some quarters because he already had three years under his belt at SMFC. Maybe a totally brand new guy coming in is just what our club needed instead of a completely un-imaginative, if not cheap, option.

Edited by pozbaird

No, I don't think Butcher, Coyle, or an Ian Murray type, or a guy from England or abroad would get the same reaction after four results. Very clear why not....

I'd struggle to add anything to this. 100% spot-on.

One thing I would say, however, is that the appointment of Craig couldn't even be regarded as a gamble, or even an experiment. The club should have had a damn good idea of what they were getting.

At a stretch, he should have been given caretaker status for a period - perhaps till the end of October - then his position reviewed. The timing wasn't ideal granted, as he would have built his own squad, but that only serves to reinforce how inexplicable the appointment was in the first place.

One cheap, lazy appointment too far, I'm afraid. They should have learned after Coughlin. No excuses.

One thing I would say, however, is that the appointment of Craig couldn't even be regarded as a gamble, or even an experiment. The club should have had a damn good idea of what they were getting.

At a stretch, he should have been given caretaker status for a period - perhaps till the end of October - then his position reviewed. The timing wasn't ideal granted, as he would have built his own squad, but that only serves to reinforce how inexplicable the appointment was in the first place.

One cheap, lazy appointment too far, I'm afraid. They should have learned after Coughlin. No excuses.

Cheap - I'm not so sure. Lazy - I'll give you that one. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about TC's appointment along with the elevation of Goodwin & Teale it was all too reminiscent of a Shakesperian tragedy.

It had its merits - a quick appointment, continuity which no doubt was a factor in retaining Kenny McLeans services, however we seem to have signed a lot of unproven forward types and are short at CH and we're currently looking at a sexagenarian manager with little experience of being top dog (sic). Like I've said elsewhere we're reaching the stage where last season Danny Lennon revamped his side and we went on a good run from October to early December.

A smiley can speak louder than a thousand words and this one sums up my current feelings about the team. Flush.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Cheap - I'm not so sure. Lazy - I'll give you that one. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about TC's appointment along with the elevation of Goodwin & Teale it was all too reminiscent of a Shakesperian tragedy.

It had its merits - a quick appointment, continuity which no doubt was a factor in retaining Kenny McLeans services, however we seem to have signed a lot of unproven forward types and are short at CH and we're currently looking at a sexagenarian manager with little experience of being top dog (sic). Like I've said elsewhere we're reaching the stage where last season Danny Lennon revamped his side and we went on a good run from October to early December.

A smiley can speak louder than a thousand words and this one sums up my current feelings about the team. Flush.gif

Is there a smilie that conveys..... I hope all talk of factions and unrest is bollocks. I hope Tommy turns it around. I hope we finish comfortably clear of relegation and maybe enjoy a decent cup run. While I know we won't win lots of games on the bounce, I accept that, can we please stop losing lots of games on the bounce though. Can we please score a few goals. Can we please at least look harder to beat. Can we please have a decent season without looking like shite whipping boys, hoping at least one team prove to be even more shite than us.

Come on Div, gie's that smiley.

Such a short-term appointment would have been both a cop-out and totally impractical.

Who would have signed for a manager already on the skids?

Would TC have worked his arse off and committed so much time, expertise and energy to a team he'd soon be handing on to a stranger? :sarcasm emoticon:

Although, with a temporary manager, I suppose the fans would have been much more accepting and tolerant of the poor results thus far. :we really need a sarcasm smilie!:

Now, I know it was against less organised opposition, but these same players were finding the net for fun pre-season, and 3 defeats have been mostly slender. I'm still of a mind to believe that they, the players, can turn it round and that the problem is not solely TC.

The support revelled in the pre-season goal-fests: and now they are going as madly in the opposite direction. The glass seems never to be HALF-full.

Is there a smilie that conveys..... I hope all talk of factions and unrest is bollocks. I hope Tommy turns it around. I hope we finish comfortably clear of relegation and maybe enjoy a decent cup run. While I know we won't win lots of games on the bounce, I accept that, can we please stop losing lots of games on the bounce though. Can we please score a few goals. Can we please at least look harder to beat. Can we please have a decent season without looking like shite whipping boys, hoping at least one team prove to be even more shite than us.

Come on Div, gie's that smiley.

:)

While I was carving out my post above needing smileys, you were also doing so.

Fools seldom think alike!

Edited by bluto

Dear oh dear..... I think the cooncil will have to instal some emergency flood defences to channel all this knicker wetting pish into the cart!

This all reeks of the same drookit pant wearers from last season who were calling for DL to be sacked after a losing streak, then insisted the following 8/9 game unbeaten run had absolutely nothing to do with DL!

Do you guys have any balance or self control in your lives?

Is every bump in the road a CATASTROPHE?

Ffs man up!

the squad has been improved, we are now a genuine threat going forward, and yes even 36 year old strikers pick up strain injuries that they can't shake off. That's life, or a fact of age-v-physical exertion.

Keep Calm

And

Pass The Pampers

Such a short-term appointment would have been both a cop-out and totally impractical.

Who would have signed for a manager already on the skids?

Would TC have worked his arse off and committed so much time, expertise and energy to a team he'd soon be handing on to a stranger? :sarcasm emoticon:

Although, with a temporary manager, I suppose the fans would have been much more accepting and tolerant of the poor results thus far. :we really need a sarcasm smilie!:

Now, I know it was against less organised opposition, but these same players were finding the net for fun pre-season, and 3 defeats have been mostly slender. I'm still of a mind to believe that they, the players, can turn it round and that the problem is not solely TC.

The support revelled in the pre-season goal-fests: and now they are going as madly in the opposite direction. The glass seems never to be HALF-full.

Why wouldn't players sign for a club with a caretaker manager? It has happened on numerous occasions. Indeed, managerless County signed players yesterday.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting he should have got the gig on a caretaker basis, merely that it might have made marginally more sense than a two year deal, but hey ho, WTF do I know?

ETA: because long posts by mobile phone are tedious....

Of course a caretaker manager is likely to work hard in the post. He would be trying to secure the gig on an ongoing basis, FFS. If he wasn't bothering his arse, it would quite reasonably be booted out the door. There is no logic, whatsoever, in your line of argument, here *insert 'am I being whooooshed' smiley*

Edited by Drew

No, I don't think Butcher, Coyle, or an Ian Murray type, or a guy from England or abroad would get the same reaction after four results. Very clear why not. Tommy Craig is far from the 'new guy'. The guy who would need to start by learning the names of our players, would need to get acquainted with St Mirren from top to bottom. Danny Lennon's time was clearly up, yet the BoD appointed his assistant, who had been here for three years, who frankly has a shocking record as a No1, and who could, should, maybe, have been let go with Danny. Tommy has started by spitting the dummy in a radio interview having been asked a relevant question, has overseen four league games without as much as a goal, three of them at home, and seems to think we are well covered in all positions, and the rumours of factions and dressing room unrest involving some players persists. Maybe a Terry Butcher or Ian Murray would have come in and 'kicked some arses'. Maybe looked at the squad in the cold light of day without prejudice towards any existing squad members, and again, 'kicked arse' by strengthening in the areas we patently need strengthening in.

Every appointment is a gamble, but Tommy is getting short shift in some quarters because he already had three years under his belt at SMFC. Maybe a totally brand new guy coming in is just what our club needed instead of a completely un-imaginative, if not cheap, option.

Don't get me wrong, TC wasn't my first choice either but he's here now. I still think he will turn it around. Ask me again though after the Killie game

Don't get me wrong, TC wasn't my first choice either but he's here now. I still think he will turn it around. Ask me again though after the Killie game

I hope he turns it around, and in my mind, Christmas / New Year will be the time to judge if he's got on top of it and is capable of turning it into a stable season. After three years at the club and knowing the place inside out, and knowing the squad he inherited inside out, I think New Year is a fair time to judge.

Why wouldn't players sign for a club with a caretaker manager? It has happened on numerous occasions. Indeed, managerless County signed players yesterday.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting he should have got the gig on a caretaker basis, merely that it might have made marginally more sense than a two year deal, but hey ho, WTF do I know?

ETA: because long posts by mobile phone are tedious....

Of course a caretaker manager is likely to work hard in the post. He would be trying to secure the gig on an ongoing basis, FFS. If he wasn't bothering his arse, it would quite reasonably be booted out the door. There is no logic, whatsoever, in your line of argument, here *insert 'am I being whooooshed' smiley*

I assumed you still had me on IGNORE, so I didnae intend a whoosh... :unsure:

:P

I also have no quibble with caretaker managers and would accept your reasoning, but stating (as you appeared to me to be doing) a short-term appointment after which he would be gone e.g. October... is what I was taking issue with.

Allied to the fact, that posters on here suggested that McGinn and McLean were persuaded to stay in the the main due to the 'continuity' of management and belief in that.

• 2 months later...