Saints V Dundee 23Rd August.

Jimmy H

They were not the only one to miss chances however , but as a professional footballer put in the positions they were put in and not scoring , isnae good . It was Mothercare all over again , plenty of possession , plenty balls into the box nae goals. Not good enough to compete at this level . Dundee were nothing great but they managed to take one of their few(offside) chances . Some teams are more dangerous after they have just conceded but that wasn't the case with our team. .

Anyway , it is only a wee diddy team on Tuesday. .kkpazUM.gif

To be fair we had plenty chances to equalize.

ETA Shitting it for Tuesday.

Edited by insaintee

we appeared to try to play 4,4,2. today and I don't know why, we havn't played it before and we don't seem to have the players to do it and though I think it's too early to panic, I am worried that we have lost to, and failed to score against, a half-fit motherwell team who have lost their 2 other games and the 2 newly promoted teams at home. A defeat to the dung would make us nostalgic for last seasons start.

Not too worried. So far. Should have won that hands down today. First half we maybe shaded it and second half we should have buried them. I was disappointed in Dundee after all the hype - thought they were on a high but I do not see too much there over a season and no way are they better than us.

We have played 3 games and played very good in 2 of these games. I reckon we have the players but the formation isn't helping IMHO. Marwood was great in the Well game when we played 4-3-3 and he was playing wide. But since he came into the middle as part of a 4-4-2 he is stifled. And when we ply 4-4-2 there is a problem in that McLean plays too deep and McGinn too wide. I would prefer a single striker with McLean playing off him and McGinn playing in the middle of the park.

Would of course like to have points on the table but if we were playing shite I may be worried. however I reckon we have a far better and balanced pool of players than last season and will iron out the hiccups. :)

We'll...this isn't going to plan.

Makes for painful reading on Twitter and on here.

Hope Tommy turns it round quickly, because I don't think lightening will strike twice. Under Danny Lennon when his back was against the wall, and the calls for his head were most vociferous...he got the result, multiple times!

I cant see Tommy doing the same. He needs a win asap.

No way we even the most optimistic amongst us could say losing at home to the newly promoted teams is acceptable.

We are I real danger of making the same start as last season with no hearts to hide the fact we are in real danger of relegation.

Never been a pessimist but realistically we could be sitting bottom by January and selling stars like McLean and mcginn I that window if finances dictate. I fear we could head down with a record low points tally if we don't sort out our tactics soon.

Overheard Dundee fans after the game saying how lucky they were to get all 3 points. Although it was a huge improvement from the Hamilton game the worrying trend in the 3 games so far is that we have failed to score and we look vulnerable at the back - that's not a hopeful sign for the future.

We still need a steady CH but that does not look as if it's going to happen despite how glaringly obvious this shortfall is. Having said that Chessy played well today but has got to take part of the blame for the sucker goal we conceded.

Our "rejects" Harkins, McGowan and McGinn all played well and you have to ask is it necessary to have the musical chairs at the end of every season rather than get the best out of the players we have. For instance I cannot remember seeing Harkins play as well for us as he did today for Dundee.

Tommy Craig's 22nd competitive game as a club manager and his 17th defeat out of 22. Just saying. I wonder how many games he has won as a club manager at the age of 63?

It did seem like a curious choice but I did wonder from afar what the board had seen in TC? That said 3 games in during which our top man has only played 30 minutes and we have several new players no to mention a formation does seem too early to condemn.

Overheard Dundee fans after the game saying how lucky they were to get all 3 points. Although it was a huge improvement from the Hamilton game the worrying trend in the 3 games so far is that we have failed to score and we look vulnerable at the back - that's not a hopeful sign for the future.

We still need a steady CH but that does not look as if it's going to happen despite how glaringly obvious this shortfall is. Having said that Chessy played well today but has got to take part of the blame for the sucker goal we conceded.

Our "rejects" Harkins, McGowan and McGinn all played well and you have to ask is it necessary to have the musical chairs at the end of every season rather than get the best out of the players we have. For instance I cannot remember seeing Harkins play as well for us as he did today for Dundee.

Nope

The stat that matter is is 0-1. However we had 18 shots to their 10 and 12 corners to their 4. Not shite. We will turn it around :) .

Hope so, but is a very poor start yet again, and confidence will be low if we don't get a win soon. We didn't get many breaks today, so perhaps we need a wee slice of luck to kick-start our season. That said, we shouldn't be relying on luck.

For instance I cannot remember seeing Harkins play as well for us as he did today for Dundee.

You having a laugh? Harkins was exactly like he was when he was with us, woeful and Goodwin bullied him. No wonder he was hooked and Dundee improved after that.

As for us, unacceptable. Not the hardest fixtures, 2 home, 1 away and we've lost 3, scored 0. Just awful and it has left us with a mountain to climb.

The only saving grace is unlikely last year when we were getting well beaten, there is a good team in there. If the goals come we have a chance, but the pressure is really on Tommy now. He has to get this right, very quickly and we need to start playing as a unit - not as individuals and taking a shot every know and again instead of passing it to oblivion. McLean to practice corners would help too!

I have to be honest in my opinion that there are a lot who feel it is to early for the "new" management team but, for me, they were part of the previous regime and, to that end, the manager especially has no time. I, like many, was not happy with the appointment and how it came about. This view has not changed and I don't believe things will improve to the extent that we will survive.

We've been on the slippery slope since our cup win with cost cutting at the forefront of this.

The evidence at this early stage speaks volumes:

0-1 v a what has proved to be a poor Motherwell side

0-2 and 0-1 v both promoted sides at home

0 points, 0 goals and I believe they will get harder to come by as season progresses.

I would dearly love to be proved wrong but I feel, even at this early stage, that a change is needed at management level in order to get the best out of a decent squad.

I don't consider myself to be a "knicker wetter" just realistic in my opinion.

But as I said I would love to be proved wrong.......

I am supposing there were others who would have accepted that salary?

Perhaps.

It was an uninspiring appointment, and lacked ambition. Maybe the BoD seen something in him, though, and I won't be overly critical for now. He badly needs a positive result, however. Had he been a new face, he might have been cut more slack, but he should know the score by now, so will need to turn things round very soon or the knives will be out.

Edited by Drew