English Consortium

gazmc83

I wonder what the unexpected snag is, could the consortium have gotten a sniff of the money and want a cut in future profits?

In all honesty, this seems a well thought through proposal. it certanly seems better than the status quo. at least these guys have a plan-more than can be said of the current encumbents.

I'd rather have a strange man with a plan than a fan-dan saints fan who thinks he can

"...already lined up several players...one-time Barclays Premier League star with Champions League pedigree...director of football with more than 30 years of experience...Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain...proposed assistant manager and backroom members are also said to have worked at some of the biggest clubs in the world...qualifying for European football in the next couple of years."

All sounds fantastic! But the questions remain, how much will all this cost? who is going to pay for it? is it sustainable? and what's in it for them?

"...already lined up several players...one-time Barclays Premier League star with Champions League pedigree...director of football with more than 30 years of experience...Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain...proposed assistant manager and backroom members are also said to have worked at some of the biggest clubs in the world...qualifying for European football in the next couple of years."

All sounds fantastic! But the questions remain, how much will all this cost? who is going to pay for it? is it sustainable? and what's in it for them?

Once they pay for the consortium's shares, where is the additional budget coming from to fund all these additional back room staff???

The club runs at a loss even on its current shoestring approach to back room staff. to convince me i would need to know how this is all to be funded, because as sure as eggs are eggs the current revenue streams won,t support it.

I wonder what the unexpected snag is, could the consortium have gotten a sniff of the money and want a cut in future profits?

In all honesty, this seems a well thought through proposal. it certanly seems better than the status quo. at least these guys have a plan-more than can be said of the current encumbents.

I'd rather have a strange man with a plan than a fan-dan saints fan who thinks he can

Didn't your parents tell you not to speak to strangers.

Once they pay for the consortium's shares, where is the additional budget coming from to fund all these additional back room staff???

The club runs at a loss even on its current shoestring approach to back room staff. to convince me i would need to know how this is all to be funded, because as sure as eggs are eggs the current revenue streams won,t support it.

Sounds like new money will have to be invested, and if they're not English St Mirren fans, then you can guarantee they'll be looking for that money back again, and more on top.

Will reserve judgement for now until more details become available...

If, this is all as good as reported its a no brainer for me.

Always going to be an element of risk but due to the situation our current BOD find themselves in we're never going to progress under the current stewardship.

Hope it goes through very soon though so we have a couple of weeks of the transfer window left.

Graeme is always spot on with his Saints news so no reason to doubt the source.

Don't know who they are or what their background is. Don't know how they're funding the initial buy-out. Don't know who the 'new SG' is, the main man. Don't know who the rest of the new BoD will be. Don't know who they have in mind for manager. Don't know how a 'director of football' position would be funded, or who would perform it. Don't know if anyone would be in the Paisley area 'on the ground' on a day to day basis. Don't know their reaction to possible relegation. Don't know how they think European football is possible without 'living the Livvy dream'. Don't know their plans for developing the stadium. Don't know.....

Don't know diddly squat. Who? Why? And How? please... Youse urnae' even Smurrrnn fans... Which, in truth, is a fair question really, when placed before the 'Why' question.

Edited by pozbaird

it has been evident for a long while that a well organised smaller club can occasionally mug the bigger players in scotland. you only need to look at what we did 2 years ago to understand that. if these guys have the seeding money then it is pretty clear an opportunity is there. If they invest in saints and make themselves (and other shareholders) some money than i say let them have a go if we get some success on the back of it

seems to me that there are ample opportunities to cash in on players sales, cup runs and the next (much improved) TV deal (i say that more in hope than anything else, but do think it will happen) Also remember that rangers WILL be back and there will be some sort of upsurge in crowds on the back of that. ifthis is the trough then it might well be the time to invest.

If they are not after our money(?), and just need us as a vehicle then i say what the hell

The last paragraph of the Evening Times version of the story is rather alarming: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/spfl/english-group-confident-of-completing-st-mirren-takeover-193731n.115728075

"I know the Gretna thing failed at the end, but if you look at the type of player they pulled in at the start and what they achieved - the guys think they can do that but a lot more sensibly. You've got to be looking at qualifying for European football in the next couple of years."

Looking back at the bunnet photo though, last season's kit looks good.

It does. The new board should implement a policy that the kit should always have proper black and white stripes. If this English consortium came out and said "Yer getting a kit that looks like the 81-84 strip", then they would have my full support.

On a more serious note, I'm wary of this. But then, I was always going to be wary of any takeover. All we can do is hope for the best.

Be careful what you wish for,if they are just buying the consortium out, ok , but if it's the consortium plus the two ex directors ,ie 75 percent then the money used to buy the club will probably taken on by the club as debt

The selling consortium now own more than 75% of the shares I believe.

This sounds promising to me. At least there are some details about the identities of those involved, and

I dealt with David Thompson when he was at Coventry and he was always very serious, a decent player and he was spiky as f**k - definitely not short of passion.

Plus, I can promise from personal experience, that being English and being St Mirren through and through are not necessarily mutually exclusive. whistling.gif

This looks a far better choice than the Argies.

There isn't a Saints fan multi millionaire out there

The BOD really want out now their actions from the summer speak volumes

This on the face of it looks promising with the focus on producing players

Hamilton have totally pished on us on and off the park

Their manager took from them and a team paid them money to do so

Already recieved good money for youngsters in the past with talk of more going down south for a lot more than £150.000

Their focus reading on it is having a far better scouting system in place at Ralston

Let's face it we don't have one at the present

Well it's all paper talk at the moment lets see if it comes to pass

This looks a far better choice than the Argies.

There isn't a Saints fan multi millionaire out there

The BOD really want out now their actions from the summer speak volumes

This on the face of it looks promising with the focus on producing players

Hamilton have totally pished on us on and off the park

Their manager took from them and a team paid them money to do so

Already recieved good money for youngsters in the past with talk of more going down south for a lot more than £150.000

Their focus reading on it is having a far better scouting system in place at Ralston

Let's face it we don't have one at the present

Well it's all paper talk at the moment lets see if it comes to pass

There probably is, but their notoriously tight with their money.whistling.gif