David Longwell

Would you say our youngsters fall under this category?

I certainly wouldn't. Mallan is the only one who would IMHO.

I'm not sure. I definitely think Naismith and Kelly will be assets in the championship, much more so than Premiership and the step down this early could be beneficial in the long run. Baird, as you say, looks good but it's early days.

As for the others? Well, we've not seen enough of guys like Morgan and Cuddihy in first team action to make a full judgement yet. Mclear is still exceptionally raw but looks talented. Tam Reilly has been at the club forever, but has flattered to deceive, though has looked good in recent weeks.

I agree with the statement though of no sentiment. If Ian Murray judges any of these lads to be surplus, then I'll trust his judgement, that being said, I think they should carry the can considerably less than the so called senior players for this season.

I do think that our younger players were found wanting this season and maybe the drop down in class will benefit them. Naismith was a shadow of the payer from the previous year and IMO Kelly only showed up when played at centre half although I'm not advocating we should continue with him there. Mallan did well when he broke through and latterly over the last few games but even he lost his way a bit.

If we want to help the younger players then we need a solid core of good pros to support them and a more positive atmosphere around the club.

I'm sure Murray will have his ideas as well as his view, getting back on topic for a moment, of how Longwell can support that.

Edited by DLBud

The whole squad was found wanting but you look to experienced players to get the young players through it. We need to bring in 4 or 5 experienced players to supplement the young talent we have. Get rid of the experienced players who weren't up to it... we already started that with McCausland and more will follow.

I think some of the comments on younger players are harsh. I agree that the ones who have played before this season generally performed better when managed by Danny Lennon rather than by TC or GT. While its too early to judge if this year's youngesters are good enough to make it or good enough to be promoted from the Championship I think our problems mainly lie in the more experienced players in the squad. 5 years ago Thommo, Goodwin and Teale were all great and inspired signings at their age and stage of career. We also had guys like McGowan around who had 5 or 6 years of first team football, mainly at SPL level. This year's main disappointments were Kello, Goodwin, Teale and Thompson, plus Wylde and then McGinn and Naismith fell short of standards they set in previous seasons too. Osbourne looked OK when fit, but as expected that wasn't very often. I think Murray's priories will be bringing in a few good pros aged 28-31 who can do a job for us for a few seasons and help out McGinn (if he stays), Naismith, Kelly, Baird, Reilly, Mallan, McLear, Morgan.

I think budget and age will mean Thompson, Goodwin, Teale will be surplus to requirements and with Kello, Wylde, Gow, Dayton out of contract I'm not sure Murray will see many of them as a priority to keep when he may have his own targets in mind.

Murray would do well in building a complete new team around Mallan. If he keeps working hard on his game we will gave the best young player to come through and I include McGinn and McLean in this. Morgan and baird both look good but need more time. There will be plenty of players out there we now need Murray to identify the right ones.

Not entirely, the entire squad and BOD collectively relegated us.

I said they weren't good enough, which is pretty hard to argue with.

No point boasting that we had 7 academy players starting matches if they led us to relegation.

While I don't agree the academy players "led us to relegation", I do agree there's no point playing them just so we can boast about having a load of home grown players in the team. If they're good enough or have potential then great but don't just play them so we can have more Danny Lennon style interviews where he talks about how many youth products we ended the game with (especially as he threw guys like Brady on five minutes from the end of defeats to Celtic to boost the number). I'm worried there's a belief in some places that because Hearts won the league with kids and we have kids we will therefore win the league.

That said, the youngsters at the club have a fantastic opportunity that they have to grab with both hands. For the last few years they've been trying to force their way into a Premiership team. Now there will be increased first team opportunities for them - and in a lower division. This is a real chance for them to come in and show how talented they are.

Naismith,McGinn,Kelly did have poorer seasons. They were all due a dip in form, sadly it lasted near enough a whole season for all 3 of them and it cost us.

What we have to ask is how did this happen?

Was Tommy Craig to old school? He certainly didn't get the best out of them, they seemed to crumble pretty early into the season when we went on losing streaks. Naismith looked burnt out and we had to keep playing him because there wasn't an adequate enough replacement to give him a rest. It has taken all this time for the management to workout Kelly is a pretty decent central defender, why wasn't he played their earlier when we have been struggling all season at center half?

Danny Lennon had the Scotland Under 21's, made McGinn captain, lo and behold he was man of the match and was in better form than usual for a few games.

It was very clear we were going to rely a lot on young players this season, I don't blame them for relegation. I blame the board for choosing managers who couldn't get the best out of them.

Tommy Craig didn't have the dressing room right from the beginning and it didn't take long for the fans to turn. Really felt sorry for the young players, they were on a hiding to nothing.

Can't believe Davy Longwell is coming in for criticism. Hardest working guy at the club who has been doing 2 jobs for the past 6 months to help Teale out.

Trying to find talented kids when you're based in the shadow of the Glasgow ugly sisters must be a nigh impossible task. Don't think it's his fault either if the board fail miserably to get decent money for any of our prospects. Telling everyone we had to sell McLean for buttons to keep the lights on isn't going to help either.

quote name="BobbyLavatory" post="1276721" timestamp="1432639601"]

Can't believe Davy Longwell is coming in for criticism. Hardest working guy at the club who has been doing 2 jobs for the past 6 months to help Teale out.

Trying to find talented kids when you're based in the shadow of the Glasgow ugly sisters must be a nigh impossible task. Don't think it's his fault either if the board fail miserably to get decent money for any of our prospects. Telling everyone we had to sell McLean for buttons to keep the lights on isn't going to help either.

Its been an horrendous year with negativity reaching the red scale though its slightly decreasing now with the appointment of Murray.

Everyone and his dog has been getting it unfortunately. We have had a negativity problem for years now which also includes shouting abuse at young players. Its the reason I moved into the main stand when we moved grounds you just don't hear the same kind of abuse from there

Ridiculous thread criticising David Longwell. He has worked his b*lls off the achieve a 5 Star SFA Academy rating, only behind Rangers and Celtic, which to the uneducated arm chair fan (seems to be a lot of in this thread) wont mean a lot but is massive in football terms and speaks volumes for his dedication and hard work. Think of clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs who are much bigger but their academies are not at this level.

He is also one of very few coaches to have attained every single coaching award possible including the UEFA Pro Licence. So how can you criticise his work and have the audacity to question if he should be at St Mirren? The club are extremely lucky to have held onto him for so long.

With regards to player sales this has nothing to do with the Head of Youth!! Past managers etc have to take responsibility for this.

Embarrassing to say the least that people are criticising him, but typical football everyone from the outside thinks they are an expert and has all the answers.

Ridiculous thread criticising David Longwell. He has worked his b*lls off the achieve a 5 Star SFA Academy rating, only behind Rangers and Celtic, which to the uneducated arm chair fan (seems to be a lot of in this thread) wont mean a lot but is massive in football terms and speaks volumes for his dedication and hard work. Think of clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs who are much bigger but their academies are not at this level.

He is also one of very few coaches to have attained every single coaching award possible including the UEFA Pro Licence. So how can you criticise his work and have the audacity to question if he should be at St Mirren? The club are extremely lucky to have held onto him for so long.

With regards to player sales this has nothing to do with the Head of Youth!! Past managers etc have to take responsibility for this.

Embarrassing to say the least that people are criticising him, but typical football everyone from the outside thinks they are an expert and has all the answers.

Most of the critics have agendas against Longwell. It's not really about them thinking they're "experts" - they've been upset by what they see as some personal "insult" in the past.

At last, someone who actually gets it.

And here was me thinking as St.Mirren fans we should be praising our young players, especially those brought through by the extremely hard working David Longwell. Perhaps we as St.Mirren fans should take a good long hard look at ourselves, myself included before typing some ill-informed comments. David Longwell should be kept at St.Mirren if possible, and to the young players I know you were placed into a dire situation but do not lose heart stay with the club and success will come.

Only kidding? Id have him back at academy, helping to bring the kids through so that we have a good pool of young, enthusiastic players coming through the ranks, and even if they do turn out to be good enough to have other teams eventually buy them, we will still hopefully have the scheme in place where the buying team pay an additional fee for the time they spent at the academy

So many heads in the sand...

So many deluded failures who can't accept that they or their son were good enough.

Let it go bud and find something constructive to do with your life.

We can't all be Messi.

Seriously, is it you or your son who was released by Longwell?