Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Cammy Smith

Recommended Posts


2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Brill time to be a Buddie.............................

Never felt this excited about a new season.......

Any idea how many STs have been sold to date?

 

 

221 now sold in the West Bank. Hopefully McKenzie and Smith will entice a swell in numbers (or at least a swell with some on here) :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sonny said:

221 now sold in the West Bank. Hopefully McKenzie and Smith will entice a swell in numbers (or at least a swell with some on here) :)

If the Bank of Gary Mac is just as generous next season a fair few season tickets will be paid for over the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good bit of business getting both of them tied up.  If McKenzie stays fit he will be one of the best defenders in the league next year.  Smith is a good player at this level but not sure what his best position is.  Would like to see him tried through the middle in the Stevie Mallan role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great signing. Was one of our best players in the run in, despite the lack of goals. Always posed a threat, always causing defenders problems with his movement and tenacity. Well chuffed, and a 2 year deal is good business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Good bit of business getting both of them tied up.  If McKenzie stays fit he will be one of the best defenders in the league next year.  Smith is a good player at this level but not sure what his best position is.  Would like to see him tried through the middle in the Stevie Mallan role.

I wonder if there's actually the potential to play with a bit of fluidity. Morgan, Magennis and Smith all playing interchangeable roles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, YardleyBoom said:

The big difference now is we are a club that people want to play for. This couldn't be said for quite some time. Not only are we attractive to the players who are signing back on but we should be able to attract some good quality new signings as it's obvious even for those looking on from the outside that St Mirren is a happy club at the moment and is going in the right direction. Long may it continue!

Spot on.

Smith signing shows ambition from the club but there is little doubt he would have got offers from Premiership sides IMO. The fact he's chosen to commit to Saints for 2 years and to do it this early when he could have dicked around in the summer waiting on "something better" shows how happy he was here during the second part of last season.

The players love training under J&J and they like his style of play and man management. Hopefully we can persuade Dundee and Rory Loy that his future lies with us too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the key is we can actually offer them something too. They see the quality of the squad we are building, the size of the support and the ambition to get back into the SPL and see how far we can go from there. In 2 years time they might actually be at a better placed club than the Killie, Motherwell, Ross County or Partick that would've been chasing them this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/9629.php#.WSL5l8szXcs

Quote

Aberdeen can confirm this afternoon that Cammy Smith has signed for St Mirren.

The 21-year-old has signed a two-year deal with the Championship side. The forward joined the Saints on loan in January, playing 17 times and scoring twice as he helped the Buddies away from the relegation zone. Earlier in the season the Aberdeen striker made 22 appearances on loan at Dundee United, scoring five goals.
Cammy, who came through the Dons' youth system, made his first team debut on 21 April 2012. He picked up the Aberdeen Young Player of the Year award two seasons ago and has represented Scotland at U16, U17 and U19 level. He played against Inverness CT in the League Cup final victory in 2014 and was instrumental in helping the U20s win the Development League the following year. Over six seasons, Cammy has made 91 appearances for the Dons and scored four goals.
Everyone at AFC would like to wish Cammy all the very best for the future.

Even more impressive that we've managed to get him when you read the section in bold.

I didn't realise that, at the age of 21, Cammy's already got 100+ games under his belt (most of them in the top league). More than Stevie Mallan has having been a regular with us for a few seasons. He's been around the Aberdeen first team since the age of 16.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm presuming Aberdeen didn't offer him a deal, if we got him without a development fee/tribunal mentioned. Hope they haven't been sniffing around Morgan or Magennis as part of us getting Cammy for nothing. Seems too good to be true and a magic piece of business by us, getting such a young talent without having to pay a fee. A few of my Dons supporting mates had really high hopes for him, but he's obviously just fallen short up there and at 22 he's had his chance.
Great signing for us, that I didn't think we could pull off. Imagine the squad is only going to get stronger too. Exciting time to be a Buddie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

I'm presuming Aberdeen didn't offer him a deal, if we got him without a development fee/tribunal mentioned. Hope they haven't been sniffing around Morgan or Magennis as part of us getting Cammy for nothing. Seems too good to be true and a magic piece of business by us, getting such a young talent without having to pay a fee. A few of my Dons supporting mates had really high hopes for him, but he's obviously just fallen short up there and at 22 he's had his chance.
Great signing for us, that I didn't think we could pull off. Imagine the squad is only going to get stronger too. Exciting time to be a Buddie.

He's way out of the picture at Aberdeen. Can't see anyone paying a fee for him so would've been pointless and harmful to the boy for them to try to get one. Has a real chance of reigniting his career with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Soctty said:

He's way out of the picture at Aberdeen. Can't see anyone paying a fee for him so would've been pointless and harmful to the boy for them to try to get one. Has a real chance of reigniting his career with us.

Yep. Two former Saints in that Scotland line-up. Wouldn't rule out future call-ups for McAllister and Mallan now they're at a higher level. 

It's the sort of thing that talented young players (and, more importantly, their agents and parents) will notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aberdeen are at their best for decades: 3 seasons now they've comfortably been the 2nd best team in Scotland and are in both cup finals this season. Would be very tough for Smith to break into that team so no surprise they've released him. I did think we might miss out on him to a Premiership team though. I'm sure some will have offered him a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm presuming Aberdeen didn't offer him a deal, if we got him without a development fee/tribunal mentioned. Hope they haven't been sniffing around Morgan or Magennis as part of us getting Cammy for nothing. Seems too good to be true and a magic piece of business by us, getting such a young talent without having to pay a fee. A few of my Dons supporting mates had really high hopes for him, but he's obviously just fallen short up there and at 22 he's had his chance.
Great signing for us, that I didn't think we could pull off. Imagine the squad is only going to get stronger too. Exciting time to be a Buddie.


One of my mates said about the McLean sign on clause. Aberdeen could possibly of asked for it to be cancelled in exchange for him going for free. Not sure that's how it works though, I think to get comp the team the player is contracted to have to offer the player a deal on equal or more money he's currently on to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with JB. I did not think Aberdeen would offer him a deal but was sure he would get better financial offers elsewhere. Dundee Utd played him in most games and he chose to leave not that Utd wanted him to go. Thought they may have went back in for him.

 

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

 


One of my mates said about the McLean sign on clause. Aberdeen could possibly of asked for it to be cancelled in exchange for him going for free. Not sure that's how it works though, I think to get comp the team the player is contracted to have to offer the player a deal on equal or more money he's currently on to stay.

 

Could not happen. Aberdeen would have had to have made a contract offer to Smith to negotiate a Development Fee taking the risk that Smith would not sign it otherwise they would have a player they did not want. And I doubt St Mirren would sign away a possible £100k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Good bit of business getting both of them tied up.  If McKenzie stays fit he will be one of the best defenders in the league next year.  Smith is a good player at this level but not sure what his best position is.  Would like to see him tried through the middle in the Stevie Mallan role.

TC he should be in the Scotland team, he is far better than the muppets Strachan picks, A CH that wins a ball in the air. ?? Original Concept

Edited by DougJamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, div said:

Spot on.

Smith signing shows ambition from the club but there is little doubt he would have got offers from Premiership sides IMO. The fact he's chosen to commit to Saints for 2 years and to do it this early when he could have dicked around in the summer waiting on "something better" shows how happy he was here during the second part of last season.

The players love training under J&J and they like his style of play and man management. Hopefully we can persuade Dundee and Rory Loy that his future lies with us too.

J&J have turned our club around can't wait for next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant bit of business, I thought he was one that would have been beyond us, to be honest I even thought he might get a new deal with Aberdeen. Signing both him and MacKenzie on the same day is fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fantastic news. From OS
St Mirren Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Cammy Smith on a two-year deal. 
The forward joined the Saints on loan from Aberdeen in January and impressed, playing 17 times and scoring twice.
Cammy becomes the latest player to pen a new deal as he makes the move to the Buddies permanently.

Over the last six months I played every week and I just liked everything about it really," he told
stmirren.com

"The manager and coaching staff were a massive aspect of me coming back here and the potential we have next season to really push.

"Game time is massive at this stage of my career. I still feel I'm quite young but I feel now at a stage where I need to play every week.

"We know it is a tough league, but it's an enjoyable one as well so I'm looking forward to it." 


This is just getting better and better, now for Stelios???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

 


One of my mates said about the McLean sign on clause. Aberdeen could possibly of asked for it to be cancelled in exchange for him going for free. Not sure that's how it works though, I think to get comp the team the player is contracted to have to offer the player a deal on equal or more money he's currently on to stay.

 

It doesn't work. And would be a bad deal for us. As said, there is no development feel unless Aberdeen offer him a new contract. They didn't do that and so no fee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The player turns 22 in August, so at that time Aberdeen would lose any entitlement to a development fee.

I guess that's probably why there isn't any requirement for us to pay any compensation. Might be wrong though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...