Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

Hello Buddies! Dundee FC season ticket holder here. Only came here to see what you all made of signing Harkins and after reading some of the negative comments I had to sign up!

1. Harkins is not fat! I thought the exact same thing and having spoken some youth players I know, I was assured that he was one of the fittest guys around! He has put up a few pictures on Twitter for a laugh to wind up some arabs that were calling him fat like this one --> https://twitter.com/garyharkins1985/status/301310116404269057/photo/1

2. Is he lazy on the pitch? Sometimes... He doesn't tend to track back when the chips are down. he is a winner but you can see him getting frustrated. To be fair, the quality of players around him at Dundee didn't do him justice and we tried to put every pass to his feet so it was difficult.

3. Can he score. Yes! BUT that isn't his game. He is a creative player. He has a great free kick on him though and is really dangerous at set pieces.

Overall you's are getting a truly quality player for nothing! He loves the banter so I suggest getting a song about him ready for the pre-season friendlies and he will thrive on that!!

Also, get following him on Twitter. He has top notch patter on there and loves speaking to fans.

We are gutted to lose him but he will always be welcome at Dens.

The post about Colin Nish...... I hope that was a wind up cos I think he would struggle in the 3rd Division!! He started really well then just gave up. He can't run and never stays on his feet.

Good luck for next season lads! clap.gif

It certainly won't be Harkins, he has never been a goal scorer. He has 5 goals in 60 SPL appearances.

Take away McGowan's penalties and how does his goal scoring record stack up?

He's not exactly known for ' dig ' either. What he's known as is a talented but lazy player who is selfish and is prone to being over weight.

Again, mixed views on this but no real mixed views on his talent. Time will tell.

Edited by faraway saint

Decent signing - comes with baggage but I guess if he didn't then he wouldn't have. wacko.png

Like others I wonder if this means Goodwin going to CH or either McGinn or McLean moving out. Like I said elsewhere wasn't really expecting any news until June and it's obviously good to get a couple of deals completed relatively early on.

Anyway three cheers for Dan, the man with the plan! clap.gif

offtopic.gif What's the news with Adam, has he gone?

I'm looking forward to seeing Gary H in a Saints strip. I have to say that I was impressed by his performances at Dundee and I think he's going to be a good addition to the squad. I do see Gary and Gowser making a good creative combination in the middle of the park. We need that craft in the midfield to try to open up defences and I hope to see that from Gary. Welcome to Paisley Gary and all the best !!

There is still much for Danny and Tommy to do (and probably moreso for Brian Caldwell) but today is a helluva start.

60 days until the season starts. Loads of time !

There is plenty of time like you say. It is nice to see a positive start , there will be 4 more minimum albeit a mixture of loans & permanent but either way I think next season is the league season we have all been waiting for.

Good time to be a buddie :)

Hello Buddies! Dundee FC season ticket holder here. Only came here to see what you all made of signing Harkins and after reading some of the negative comments I had to sign up!

1. Harkins is not fat! I thought the exact same thing and having spoken some youth players I know, I was assured that he was one of the fittest guys around! He has put up a few pictures on Twitter for a laugh to wind up some arabs that were calling him fat like this one --> https://twitter.com/garyharkins1985/status/301310116404269057/photo/1

2. Is he lazy on the pitch? Sometimes... He doesn't tend to track back when the chips are down. he is a winner but you can see him getting frustrated. To be fair, the quality of players around him at Dundee didn't do him justice and we tried to put every pass to his feet so it was difficult.

3. Can he score. Yes! BUT that isn't his game. He is a creative player. He has a great free kick on him though and is really dangerous at set pieces.

Overall you's are getting a truly quality player for nothing! He loves the banter so I suggest getting a song about him ready for the pre-season friendlies and he will thrive on that!!

Also, get following him on Twitter. He has top notch patter on there and loves speaking to fans.

The post about Colin Nish...... I hope that was a wind up cos I think he would struggle in the 3rd Division!! He started really well then just gave up. He can't run and never stays on his feet.

clap.gif

Summed up my thoughts on both Jeebs and Nish, how we got 100 grand for him is beyond me.

Good luck for next season lads! clap.gif

I genuinely did see a car with reg C9 NSH which I assume is his, BUT it was in largs so hopefully going to Killie

As I've said before Harkins is a great addition to the squad always liked him full of tricks and creative I would imagine he would be playing on the left of the midfield if we decide to go with just the hawk upfront having gowser teale and now Harkins behind him is a very good attacking threat IMO

Edited by Super_Saints

There is still much for Danny and Tommy to do (and probably moreso for Brian Caldwell) but today is a helluva start.

60 days until the season starts. Loads of time !

Thanks Div, 60 days till the football season starts. You don't half know how to depress me. No football for 60 days help me!!!

Maybe you could put a timer on the site counting down the time till kick off next season.

Think he'll be the replacement for Carey/Imrie on the left.

-----------Teale-------------McGowan-----------Harkins------------

------------------------------Thompson-------------------------------

I can see a lot of chances being created. Get Goodwin back in midfield to get a bit of toughness in there beside McGinn/McLean . Or even better sign Newton thumbup2.gif

I'm quite surprised by the number of negative comments in here about Harkins.

If I been told a while ago that we'd sign two players like McGowan and Harkins on the one day I would have been delighted.

Both are creative players who are good on the ball and exactly the kind of players that are worth paying to watch.

Of course, Harkins is not going to be the complete player. If he was he wouldn't be signing for us.

McGowan is one of the best players that I have seen playing for us in my time watching St Mirren. And for us to get the best out of him, he needs to be surrounded by similar capable players who are comfortable on the ball and creative enough to be on the same wavelength as McGowan, so they can play together effectively.

Although Harkins may have his faults, he represents a big step in the right direction.

It's time we all got behind the player, welcomed him to the club, and gave him a chance to produce his best football at St. Mirren.

Welcome to Saints. Gary!

Edited by ds10

It certainly won't be Harkins, he has never been a goal scorer. He has 5 goals in 60 SPL appearances.

Take away McGowan's penalties and how does his goal scoring record stack up?

He's not exactly known for ' dig ' either. What he's known as is a talented but lazy player who is selfish and is prone to being over weight.

Again, mixed views on this but no real mixed views on his talent. Time will tell.

Jeez can't you work the quote function? lol.gif:

Anyway, i was addressing the point that we need more goals from midfield next season. This we do, we are over reliant on Thompson for goal scoring. McGowan isn't a goal scoring midfielder - save for his penalties - and never has been, neither is Teale, neither is Harkins. That's why i don't understand the signing.

I can only assume he's been signed to play on the left side of a 3 behind Thompson. I'd much rather McGinn was deployed there, he had a stormer on the left at RP on the last day. He's quicker, younger and i believe better than Harkins and i think he would be very effective in a more advanced role.

If Harkins doesn't mind playing a squad role supporting McGowan and spending some time on the bench, then he will be a good signing for us. I'm not sure he'll take to well to that role however, here's what one Killie fan said about him:

Harkins would have a couple of ok games, then a brilliant one, then disappear for 4 or 5. Will be a good asset if you don't mind his 'one man show' idealogy.

Edited by Lex

Welcome to the Buddies Gary.

Lex - give it a rest you have made your point so no need to go on and on and on. Generally you are negative about most things when it comes to Saints though I know your a diehard as you attend most home and away games. Harkins has not even kicked a ball yet ffs.

He tore us a new one at Dens Park.

Hope he can play with the same style for us.

Good signing.

Indeed, and not the only time either.

Of all the Dundee players this season he was the one that stuck out & i'm well pleased he's signed for Saints.

Welcome to the club Gary.

Jeez can't you work the quote function? lol.gif:

Anyway, i was addressing the point that we need more goals from midfield next season. This we do, we are over reliant on Thompson for goal scoring. McGowan isn't a goal scoring midfielder - save for his penalties - and never has been, neither is Teale, neither is Harkins. That's why i don't understand the signing.

I can only assume he's been signed to play on the left side of a 3 behind Thompson. I'd much rather McGinn was deployed there, he had a stormer on the left at RP on the last day. He's quicker, younger and i believe better than Harkins and i think he would be very effective in a more advanced role.

If Harkins doesn't mind playing a squad role supporting McGowan and spending some time on the bench, then he will be a good signing for us. I'm not sure he'll take to well to that role however, here's what one Killie fan said about him:

We have no idea what tactics Danny will deploy next season. We are forever screaming that the squad is too lightweight in certain positions, moreso now that we have lost so many players - most rightfully so. I recall Gary Teale getting stick for being way past it and not contributing and yet he has had a great season and integral to our team - some would have had him chased out the door in the previous season.

We cannot judge any signing and what they will bring until they are physically playing in the team and in a formation that the manager has set out. Harkins is a very good player and perhaps we will get the best out of him now that he has secured a good deal. From what I have seen when playing for Killie and Dimdee he has a lot of quality. It is up to him and the manager to get the very best on the park.

I see no sense in anyone slagging off a player who will represent us in black and white. All new players should be welcome and encouraged and time will tell whether this move is the right one or not - same for any player at any club. I am fairly positive that Gary will prove a lot of doubters wrong.