Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

Comparing ANY stats is invalid because there are lots of variables which change. This means it's impossible to assign cause to a specific one just by looking at the numbers.

What you are doing with Harkins (because you appear to have one agenda after another) is confusing correlation and causation.

Even by your standards, this is a bizarre post.

Comparing stats is perfectly valid and is done all the time by everyone in all walks of life. If you're going to compare Harkins with Teale you compare their win stats for games they started while at St Mirren.

Secondly, it wasn't me that posted that stat.

Thirdly, the manager obviously thinks Harkins is hopeless too, or else he wouldn't have punted him a quarter of the way into a two year contract.

Comparing ANY stats is invalid because there are lots of variables which change. This means it's impossible to assign cause to a specific one just by looking at the numbers.

What you are doing with Harkins (because you appear to have one agenda after another) is confusing correlation and causation.

huh.png So all those bbc,sky etc. pundits & summarisers have been getting it wrong all these years ?

huh.png So all those bbc,sky etc. pundits & summarisers have been getting it wrong all these years ?

Not just the football pundits. Don't forget every work place that uses stats to measure performance, every government, every politician. In fact we should just disband the office for national statistics, they are absolutely pointless and useless.

Another gem from our resident commie, ladies and gentleman, i give you oaksoft.

Not just the football pundits. Don't forget every work place that uses stats to measure performance, every government, every politician. In fact we should just disband the office for national statistics, they are absolutely pointless and useless.

Another gem from our resident commie, ladies and gentleman, i give you oaksoft.

& lets not forget all those rich bookies who base their odds on stats from previous meetings , league positon (stats) current form (stats) & what potential results may cost them (the most important statistic !!)

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Maybe, if anyone could be arsed taking this any further, a comparison between Teale and Harkin's stats for their first six months with us, might be fairer.

I seem to remember that Teale's first season for us was pretty gash.

I could do that if you like? Won't be good for Harkins I can assure you. We were top 6 up until about November in Gary's first 6 months here.

I could do that if you like? Won't be good for Harkins I can assure you. We were top 6 up until about November in Gary's first 6 months here.

If I'm playing the Devil's advocate here I could say it does not matter what stats you produce.

One person's perception as to whether Teale was as shite as Harkins is not going to be proven or disproven by your stats.

In fact the chances are that Teale's team mates were playing better during his first six months, than they were during the first part of this season. Therefore, Teale could have been as shite as Harkins, but other factors skewed the stats, in terms of the results achieved.

Of course stats can be used to help prove points, but taken in splendid isolation, they are not wholly reliable.

Comparing starts for a season with total starts with a club is a pretty unfair comparison, don't you agree?

unfair on Teale if we are looking at what he has brought to the club in the years he's been here yes, but if we are looking at contribution this season then it would be unfair on Harkins to include Teales previous seasons don't you agree?

Harkins is a 3 handicap golfer too, so obviously has been blessed with natural sporting talent. Lack of workrate, poor attitude, lazy? Don't know what the true story is, but the likes of John McGinn and Paul McGowan certainly seem to have a much better attitude, work ethic...

A failed signing sadly. Like too many of Danny's recent signings.

Harkins is a 3 handicap golfer too, so obviously has been blessed with natural sporting talent. Lack of workrate, poor attitude, lazy? Don't know what the true story is, but the likes of John McGinn and Paul McGowan certainly seem to have a much better attitude, work ethic...

A failed signing sadly. Like too many of Danny's recent signings.

Players fault. Of course not, Danny's fault.

Great tweet I read this morning. Really shows what a negative impact Gary had on the team:

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1388837068.910666.jpg

That's not all Gary's fault. Times he's played McGowan has been put into center midfield which does not work one but he's too focused on attack.

What about the stat Harkins has the same goals as McGowan this season what does that say?

It dont work with McGowan and Harkins in the same team with the players we have around them. Thommo Harkins McGowan have no pace.

I would hope that Gary's going would mean that Gowser's position would not be messed about with again but I have a feeling Danny will use Campbell behind Thommo and make Gowser ineffective yet again. Please, please play Campbell wide right Danny and give us some real attacking options. Please.

I would hope that Gary's going would mean that Gowser's position would not be messed about with again but I have a feeling Danny will use Campbell behind Thommo and make Gowser ineffective yet again. Please, please play Campbell wide right Danny and give us some real attacking options. Please.

For the first time in years we get a real penalty box striker (if the cuttings are to be believed) and you want to play him wide right. Don't quite see where you're coming from?

For the first time in years we get a real penalty box striker (if the cuttings are to be believed) and you want to play him wide right. Don't quite see where you're coming from?

not WIDE right... but in a free interchangeable role just off Thommo... with Gowser and McGinn doing the same.

Be bold... be brave... keep them on the back foot!

A reasonable way of accessing how effective a player Haskins was for us is to count how many points Saints gained when he was on the pitch .

I struggle to remember if he started in a league match that we won , and cannot think of any time he came on as a substitute and changed a game .

Reminds me a bit of Chic Charnley , in so much as he seemed good signing at the time , but just doesn,t seem to produce the goods

A reasonable way of accessing how effective a player Haskins was for us is to count how many points Saints gained when he was on the pitch .

I struggle to remember if he started in a league match that we won , and cannot think of any time he came on as a substitute and changed a game .

Reminds me a bit of Chic Charnley , in so much as he seemed good signing at the time , but just doesn,t seem to produce the goods

That's the stat I posted on the last page.

We took 1 point from the 7 league games he started and 19 points from the 12 he never started.

Not necessarily. It depends on how they interpret the results.

You can compare say 6 games with Teale in the side and then 6 games with Harkins in the side by looking at the stats but they'll tell you nothing unless you interpret them properly and there is barely a single fan in the world capable of doing that properly otherwise clubs would be lining up to sign the likes of Lex and the Duke.

Thirdly, the manager obviously thinks Harkins is hopeless too, or else he wouldn't have punted him a quarter of the way into a two year contract.

And that young bud is the only opinion which matters.

It's why the club pay Danny so much money and don't email you weekly for your opinions.

And that young bud is the only opinion which matters.

It's why the club pay Danny so much money and don't email you weekly for your opinions.

Hate to burst your bubble, but this is a forum for expressing your opinions on the club. If you don't want to read opinions you're in the wrong place.

What is your opinion on the signing and performances of Gary Harkins?

Not necessarily. It depends on how they interpret the results.

You can compare say 6 games with Teale in the side and then 6 games with Harkins in the side by looking at the stats but they'll tell you nothing unless you interpret them properly and there is barely a single fan in the world capable of doing that properly otherwise clubs would be lining up to sign the likes of Lex and the Duke.

What a load of mumbo jumbo.

How many of Harkins starts also featured Cornell and Grainger and DVZ in the starting line up?

How much of our better run is down to having goalkeepers who inspire a bit of confidence throughout the rest of the team (Dillo then Kello), an improved defence when Naismith and Kelly came in at fullbacks, McGinn returning to the starting XI and Kenny McLean beginning to hit form... or Thommo rediscovering his scoring touch? You could also add switching Goodwin from central defence back to midfield as another factor in our improvement... and then there was also a short run of crucial refereeing decisions going for us rather than against us too.

What are the stats on shut outs with and without Harkins on the pitch? Attendances with and without Harkins in the starting XI may also vary but the variation may not be solely down to the Harkins factor.

Changing our goalkeeper and 3 out of our 4 defenders in the starting line up strikes me as possibly more significant to our improved form than dropping one midfield scapegoat?