Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

If we get relegated I'd want Harkins back for next season. As we seen against QOTS, he thrives at that level, he's too lazy for the cut and thrust pace of the top league though.

If we don't get relegated here's hoping we can wring a fee from Oldham or another club down there for him.

quote name="Herdo" post="1148747" timestamp="1390854243"]

Maybe not Oldham but if he continues to play well he may attract attention from othe clubs in the league that do have money. Even if it winds up that we tear up his contract and get him off the books, it would work out well for us.

If he continues to play well then that would perhaps suggest he is playing for a manager that uses a system which utilises Harkins abilities more effectively than we were able to. In saying that, he played left wing on Saturday.

With no guarantee that DL will still be in charge come pre-season and a high likelihood that Gowser will not be here for the new season, I would say that it is possible Harkins could still have a successful future with us.Agree as the team will be set up differently

We'd probably have had much better returns from playing Harkins behind the lone striker rather than McGowan this season.

Despite his lack of effort defensively he creates, and he scores. Something McGowan has really stuggled with.

His current manager played with him, knows how to use him and saw a gap in his squad that Harkins could fill. Danny saw him, thought he could change him and ended up sitting trying to hammer him in to numerous holes...Danny didn't even fully understand what size or shape each hole was. Any levels of laziness etc don't matter, everyone aside from Danny could see it would never work.

• 2 weeks later...

His current manager played with him, knows how to use him and saw a gap in his squad that Harkins could fill. Danny saw him, thought he could change him and ended up sitting trying to hammer him in to numerous holes...Danny didn't even fully understand what size or shape each hole was. Any levels of laziness etc don't matter, everyone aside from Danny could see it would never work.

Isn't it more that DL saw him and thought he would make a decent replacement for Gowser? Only then Gowser stayed and proceeded to be not quite the player we all know he can be.

Gary has loads of ability however he seems to think that compensates for hard work. Does he think Messi just stands around waiting for the ball to come to him or does he actually go looking for it?

His constant pathetic little digs on twitter about being asked to run channels etc tell me that he isn't ready to grow up and listen to the advice he has undoubtedly had from several coaches over the years.

Isn't it more that DL saw him and thought he would make a decent replacement for Gowser? Only then Gowser stayed and proceeded to be not quite the player we all know he can be.

The statement in the press from Danny, possibly his only recent one not using a cliche handbook, clearly highlighted the fact he felt he could change Harkins.

Gary has loads of ability however he seems to think that compensates for hard work. Does he think Messi just stands around waiting for the ball to come to him or does he actually go looking for it?

His constant pathetic little digs on twitter about being asked to run channels etc tell me that he isn't ready to grow up and listen to the advice he has undoubtedly had from several coaches over the years.

I wouldn't know about his digs on twitter as the big bissum blocked me.Ive no idea why he done that but he might backtrack.Oops silly me he,s never done that so its unlikely he will start now.

• 1 month later...

Is Gary's loan deal finished yet ,if so is he available for us to select in the last two games.

He's finished at Oldham, for now anyway, can't see him ever playing for Saints again, he seemed to be pretty miserable here anyway.

Can't play in our last 2 games anyway due to a cross-border transfer rule out with a window or something like that.