Renfrewshire Cup Final

For what it's worth, I thought Saturday was utter shite. But trying to look on the positive side, hopefully wee Danny got a wake up call and has realised that our squad seriously lacks the squad depth required for the SPL.

As much as Reilly looks like a cracking young player (and he does) he remains far too lightweight and if we are relying on him being our 2nd choice striker we are doomed. Not criticising the player at all, but Danny can surely see this? Surely?

Also, can't understand folk criticising Harkins, He's been slow and (generally) lazy his whole career but he has great feet and will win us matches - he didn't come to act as a box to box midfielder chasing down every ball. I'm confident he'll be a very good addition to our squad.

Finally, thought Naismith looked decent - certainly more solid than DVZ.

Naismith looked streets ahead of DVZ who seems to be everyones favourite presumably because he's a decent guy. DVZ needs a challenge to up his game .

Naismith looked streets ahead of DVZ who seems to be everyones favourite presumably because he's a decent guy. DVZ needs a challenge to up his game .

Agreed. I've been saying on here for a year or two but DVZ is a real weak link in our team and isn't good enough to play week in week out. He's been a great servant and is clearly well liked in the dressing room but that's not enough, we need good players on the pitch.

Agreed. I've been saying on here for a year or two but DVZ is a real weak link in our team and isn't good enough to play week in week out. He's been a great servant and is clearly well liked in the dressing room but that's not enough, we need good players on the pitch.

Couldn't agree more, its going to be a long season with Van Zanten at right back, he should never be our 1st choice right back. Being a good guy is all very well but i would rather have a good player who is a knob, Van Zanten isnt good enough.

Also totally agree couldn't understand why we took him back in the first place,we will always struggle with DVZ and Cheesy in our defence.

Couldn't agree more, its going to be a long season with Van Zanten at right back, he should never be our 1st choice right back. Being a good guy is all very well but i would rather have a good player who is a knob, Van Zanten isnt good enough.

Absolutely. I'm happy enough with him in the squad as cover for right back , right mid, or even centre back in emergencies , but he's never a first pick anymore !

But it wasnt just the defence Imrie was ripping the pish out of. We had only 4 changes from a team that could have featured last season with only two (Cornell and Kelly) never having played in the SPL (Harkins and McGregor having at least 1 year experience each). Goodwin and Gowser both took turns to try to take Imrie out.

Imrie can only play against what's in front of him and he was the best player on the park. I dont think anyone can take that away from him.

I've been in hiding for a couple of days. Partly in horror and partly in reflected shame but I can't agree that Imrie was the best on show.

For all we were deservedly beaten, for me, there was no one better than Gary Teale.

Naismith didn't look too far away from being a realist first pick for me.

If I were to be picky, I'd say that his positional sense was a bit dubious on a couple of occasions, but nothing too concerning. I thought he looked solid and linked up well with Teale.

If I were the manager, I would be looking to start him in the next two preseason fixtures. This is the time to judge if a player looks the part. On the evidence of Saturday, I think he is knocking on the door. The left back position is much more precarious, though why Yaqub, a natural full back, wasn't given a runout is mystifying. We clearly need a first pick LB in, because, as things stand, there is no contingency other than Kelly or Yaqub.

I would be happy for a punt to be taken on Naismith starting the season in the knowledge that we have Van Zanten and Barron in the squad.

In terms of the goal keeping position, I would imagine we'll go with what we have. Worst case scenario, there are likely to be players available to be picked up after the window closes if necessary.

I will be flabbergasted if we don't have a left back and and striker join us within the next fortnight. It is inconceivable.

Edited by Drew

No he wasn't, Imrie is a good player, Its a useless manager we have,

He really isn't.

Imrie is 30 now and his career peaked playing for Hamilton Accies, where he scored just 10 goals in over 70 games. He has spent the majority of his career playing in the lower divisions playing for Lanark, Clyde, Accies and now Morton.

People really are scrambling when they say that he was 'good at being a nuisance' and 'winding people up'. Jim Goodwin and Paul McGowan are better than Imrie at doing that, plus they can actually play well at the top level.

He was a liability.

He alluded to that on the post match comments on the OS.

Something along the lines of we experiemented and learned a few things.

Edit: exact quote..." We tried a few things today that were experimental, asked a few questions and got the answer to those questions.

Was the players asking the questions though...

So the Goalkeeper who has played one and a half games for us is rubbish.dry.png

I'm pretty confident that Paul Mathers knows more about what makes a good 'keeper than the "experts" on here.

FFS, on Saturday he played behind an untried defence and a midfield that provided little or no cover for the him. The latter point, with respect to lack of midfield cover, being one of the reasons, that Imrie played well and Kelly was given such a torrid time. Imrie is a poor player, even I could have shone on Saturday given that amount of time and space, that our midfield provide him with.

I'm confident Cornell, who IMO wasn't at fault for three goals, will come good. However, that depends on us getting a settled back four, which our manager needs to address quickly.

The writing's on the wall Dave. He has a month to get it right both squad wise and tactically , he's been sleeping in the traps IMO !

FFS Billy, I am surprised at you of all folk. It was only our second outing pre-season and, as stated, a number of experiments were carried out. The manager will know what happened as will the players. To begin stating he has a month to get it right is bullshit. Do you know whether he has been given this ultimatum or are you simply stating that timescale?

Should we not wait until we see the full squad that Danny is working with plus how we perform in a competitive match before we make any judgement on how we are likely to perform over the coming season? If it all goes pear-shaped then things will happen but at least give it a bit more time than our second game pre-seaon where players need match practice and fitness.

I wonder if the level of panic would be the same if it had not been the great unwashed who had beaten us in our own park.

FFS Billy, I am surprised at you of all folk. It was only our second outing pre-season and, as stated, a number of experiments were carried out. The manager will know what happened as will the players. To begin stating he has a month to get it right is bullshit. Do you know whether he has been given this ultimatum or are you simply stating that timescale?

Should we not wait until we see the full squad that Danny is working with plus how we perform in a competitive match before we make any judgement on how we are likely to perform over the coming season? If it all goes pear-shaped then things will happen but at least give it a bit more time than our second game pre-seaon where players need match practice and fitness.

I wonder if the level of panic would be the same if it had not been the great unwashed who had beaten us in our own park.

Think you misunderstood ! He has a month, or just over , to get it right, then the windows closed and there's no turning back. When I say he's been sleeping in the traps , well he has been , and he's given himself a mountain to climb. There is disgruntlement from both some players and fans already , he needs to take note !

Think you misunderstood ! He has a month, or just over , to get it right, then the windows closed and there's no turning back. When I say he's been sleeping in the traps , well he has been , and he's given himself a mountain to climb. There is disgruntlement from both some players and fans already , he needs to take note !

Thanks for clearing that up. I agree with you that the team does need strengthening and believe that will happen. Friendly matches are notorious for producing weird results as managers try out things and also getting the cobwebs from certain players - we know that some train harder than others. I won't judge/criticise the team or the manager until at least the first quarter of the season. We will have played against all those other teams who have made a lot of changes and will be in a position to determine the strength and quality of each of them (bar Celtic of course). We already know the strengths/weakensses in those players who were first team regular last season but what we do not know is how good the young lads are that will be asked to fill certain positions for those who have left or through injury/suspensions. We need to keep backing the team and the manager. Final point, Hibs must be panicking as they appear to have bid £200k for a Swindon player. How can they afford to spend that sum when the game is rooked here?

Final point, Hibs must be panicking as they appear to have bid £200k for a Swindon player. How can they afford to spend that sum when the game is rooked here?

Money from the Scottish Cup run? Money from the Malmo gate receipts? A real need to replace Leigh Griffiths... With Hearts 15 point penalty and new boys Thistle, they'll be relaxed about not being relegated, and probably see this investment in a striker being enough to see them avoid an 11th place play-off finish too. Seems to me they are prepared to spend a bit to recoup it with a higher league finish. It's risky, but with no Griffiths they could be fooked if they don't take the risk.

He really isn't.

Imrie is 30 now and his career peaked playing for Hamilton Accies, where he scored just 10 goals in over 70 games. He has spent the majority of his career playing in the lower divisions playing for Lanark, Clyde, Accies and now Morton.

People really are scrambling when they say that he was 'good at being a nuisance' and 'winding people up'. Jim Goodwin and Paul McGowan are better than Imrie at doing that, plus they can actually play well at the top level.

He was a liability.

Only 1 liability at our club, need prove look up his league record, In one word disgraceful, especially at home, Yeah great manager

The level of panic isn't really about the defeat to Morton.

The level of panic is due the fact that we finished 11th last season and only avoided relegation because Rangers went bust.

The level of panic is due the fact that that squad which finished 11th is now considerably weaker.

The level of panic is due to the fact that, in the league, the manager has made no progress over the past 3 years.

The level of panic is due to the fact that the manager quite clearly doesn't know what he is doing!