New Contract For Lennon - Got To Be 2 Years

Jim Goodwin on STV news online pleading for the board to come clean on the manager as there are 12 players out of contract also saying a lot of things going on in the back ground at the club.

Nothing new then

Edit sorry that should read 12 players going out of contract at the end of the month

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

Like everybuddie else on this site I have at times been exasperated, confused, and occasionally mortified about Danny's transfer dealings, team selections and tactics. But it seems to me that he's learning, and is now getting it right.

I think you're being a bit pre-mature here. The end of season battle against relegation is not a good yardstick in which to judge overall performance. There are too many variables. The season is not over yet.

Really? They've spent plenty of time in the bottom half of the league and even been relegated in their recent history. They've only won 2 titles in the last 30 years, and Houston won 1 of them.

He also made massive money developing and selling young talent like Goodwillie and Conway. Looking at it from the outside in, I can't see what he's done wrong.

You may be right Lex but from the outside most observers would say that Danny Lennon may well deliver two highest league finishes in a generation and a league cup in the last three years on a significantly smaller budget than Houston had at his disposal.

Anyway, the word on Houston from my Utd supporting mate was that he was unwilling to work within the budget constraints the BOD we're putting on him. Not sure that would work down Greenhill Road.

Or maybe simply that we never discuss contracts until we're safe? We only achieved this on Sunday afternoon, Monday was a holiday and we're now preparing for two games in 4 days?

Or, something may be going down........

Something's definitely going down.... Killie, Hibs, Ross County or Partick.

Boom, boom, ker-tish!

As I said previously, I think he'll deserve a new 2 year contract if we finish 8th or higher. If he doesn't I'll not lose much sleep over it. I'll ask again, though, who are all of these 'other candidates'? Are they any better than DL? If they are, three questions arise - 1. could we afford them? 2. Would we be prepared to shell out the cash? (not just for a new manager but for any new blood he would want to bring in? and 3. Would they be interested in us?

It’s a results business and, of late, they have been good. However no manager of our club can afford to get his summer signings so

badly wrong as DL did. His treatment of a senior and very popular player added to dressing room unhappiness and this did not help

our early season performances which were dreadful. This meant our season was on the back foot from day 1. He has turned it around,

albeit just in time. Some of the performances have been truly awful as have some of his utterly baffling tactical decisions. It seems that the players only play when they really have to and that points to poor management as any strong manager should be able to at least get a level of consistency from his players and not just when the chips are down. Personally I would have chased him at

Christmas and tried to bring in Ian Murray. If we do keep him it should be a one season contract with a clause stating that if we

are in the bottom two after 12 games then we will have the option of dismissing him with no compensation.

Levein turned down an interview at ICT 6 months ago. Would he fancy us? I doubt it.

As for underachievement.... in 4 years, a cup win, highest league position in 25 years, 4 quarter finals. Them's the facts.

I think Danny probably should have got more out of this team, but 11th or 6th? Does it really matter? The main thing for us is to stay in the league. You like to compare us to St Johnstone but how about to Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick, Falkirk?

With the support we have and the money generated from that we have and will always hover around the 10th best team in Scotland. For a few years, like the early 80's we might improve on that or fall away like the 90's. We should be content just now.

I made these points when Gus Mapherson - but they were almost universally shot down by everyone on this forum.

So I'm sorry, all of this can be ignored.

The hypocrites have set the agenda - no backtracking now.

You may be right Lex but from the outside most observers would say that Danny Lennon may well deliver two highest league finishes in a generation and a league cup in the last three years on a significantly smaller budget than Houston had at his disposal.

Gus Macpherson delivered 2 highest league finishes in a generation, first cup final in a generation, first Scottish Cup semi final in a generation, survival in the top flight for the first time in a generation, first win over Rangers in a generation, first win over Celtic in a generation, biggest league win over Celtic for many generations...

And from a starting point of a 3rd successive battle against relegation to the Second Division, £ 3 million debt and no training facilities.

We need some consistency in the arguments here...

Gus Macpherson delivered 2 highest league finishes in a generation, first cup final in a generation, first Scottish Cup semi final in a generation, survival in the top flight for the first time in a generation, first win over Rangers in a generation, first win over Celtic in a generation, biggest league win over Celtic for many generations...

And from a starting point of a 3rd successive battle against relegation to the Second Division, £ 3 million debt and no training facilities.

Aye but the football was dire.

I think anyone suggesting Houston as manager should go speak to some Dundee United fans. There's a reason why he's still unemployed.

Indeed.

Considering one of the major reasons he left united was because his budget was being cut and he was bleating that this would prevent him from doing his job, I think it unlikely he'd be able to cope with our financial constraints.

He was also worried about his £200K salary being cut by 40%................................................

Gus who

Yea but he did say if we want entertainment to go along to a picture house. The football under Gus as awful

And where is he now, Andy?

I have to laugh at this hypocrisy on your part. I vividly recall numerous posts where you defended MacPherson bagging young players by pointing to the fact that they invariably landed in the lower leagues, thus vindicating his actions. Perhaps the fact that he hasn't exactly scaled the dizzy heights since leaving St Mirren would suggest that the BoD were right to bag him when they did, no?

His time was up, and maybe Danny's is too, but your constant comparisons are wearisome at best now. Time to try a different analysis.

Edited by Drew

A lot of truth in that. Things were going stale by the end of Gus though. A lot of people were getting fed up going to games. Lennon has at least put a team together that can generate some excitement on its day.

Consecutive top 6 finishes and a Scottish Cup title, all whilst developing and selling on some cracking young talent.

What don't they like about him?

His tactics, constant bleating about budget to name a couple. I'll ask my mate in work tomorrow and post his feedback!

Like FTOF (I think) mentioned, he complained a lot, said top 6 wouldn't be achievable with the budget and has then been outperformed.

Well, at least you're consistent.

I liked Gus by the way, as I'm sure others did. We've all managed to move on though. I think it's time you did too.

Still waiting for a short list of suitably qualified candidates from the Danny Haters to replace him....

They need to be capable of landing a national trophy and be clear that a seventh place Finnish would be deemed a disappointment, and reason to terminate their contract.

Who,s gonna start us with say Kenny Shiels? Isn't he one of the diddies previously touted?

Still waiting for a short list of suitably qualified candidates from the Danny Haters to replace him....

They need to be capable of landing a national trophy and be clear that a seventh place Finnish would be deemed a disappointment, and reason to terminate their contract.

Who,s gonna start us with say Kenny Shiels? Isn't he one of the diddies previously touted?

Mixu?

Edit - it wasn't the easiest to spot, to be fair.

Edited by Drew

Why are you assuming that everyone who wants rid of DL hates him?

I happen to like him as a person, but I'm still not sure whether we should keep him on or not.

If we win our next two games playing good football, I could be swayed towards the former.

Yea but he did say if we want entertainment to go along to a picture house. The football under Gus as awful

A small point, but to be fair to Gus, he was actually quoting another manager (perhaps Jim Jeffries?) who was the one who said that.

Gus-haters twisted it, claiming it was his assertion... to suit their strange agenda.

I still think it's time for a change - we should send Danny off with a big thanks but for me I'd love to see whether someone else can take us to the next level - a top 6 finish. He has proven myself and a lot of others wrong of late, but I just don't trust him to make best use of the close season transfer window and with the likely departures of McGinn, McLean, possibly McGowan, Harkins and a few others, I can see another bleak season ahead (let's not forget that this season has been pretty damn honking, apart from the last month!).

So, it's a bye bye for me.