Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Think it was just Lord Pityme and myself who criticised the appointment of Murray.

The rest of the happy clapping sheep on tho forum all praised the appointment.

As far as I know, the Lord also thinks this is a terrible appointment... And I agree with him.

I wasn't particularly enthused by Murrays appointment either.

Rae is here to the end of the season at least, might as well get behind him.

I think we needed a new manager now because;

1) We need wins, urgently. We're far from safe and the season is far from over.

2) There is still an outside, tiny, remote chance we could catch 4th IF we can get ourselves sorted out

3) We've still got the Scottish Cup to come. Tough first tie but you never know, again IF we can get motoring

4) January window opens in a fortnight. The manager has a couple of weeks to review where are and make plans

5) We f**ked about this time last year and look how that ended up

As confident as I am of not going down, I think there is zero chance of 4th. We're way too far behind. Likewise, we might get through a couple of rounds in the Scottish cup but I doubt it will make a huge difference to the budget.

As for points 4 and 5 - I am absolutely not suggesting we take weeks or months to make an appointment. I do think we could have taken the time to interview a few candidates first rather than appoint a guy before his first face to face interview. Perhaps the board have been interviewing other people, but that normally gets leaked in the media if so.

If we had considered the available candidates and interviewed a couple more, perhaps the process would have taken a week more, perhaps not even as much. Would that have made any difference to a new guy preparing for the window? I doubt it.

Interesting words from someone who worked under him. I'd base more store on what Ludo Roy says than some of the trumpets on here who seem to want to the guy bagged before he's taken charge of a game.

Yes and no. The only successful manager Ludo played under was Tom Hendrie. For my money, Ludo also played his best football for us under Hendrie. So maybe Ludo didn't like him or find him as influential, whatever that is supposed to mean. But Hendrie was a success, Campbell Money wasn't wherever he went, and Rae has still to prove himself...

I wasn't particularly enthused by Murrays appointment either.

Rae is here to the end of the season at least, might as well get behind him.

I'm on the same boat.

Didn't think much of Murray when appointment and I'm not that excited about Rae.

We've got to get behind him and the team right from the off though.

COYS

Edited by davidg

As confident as I am of not going down, I think there is zero chance of 4th. We're way too far behind.

It's a massive ask but we're 12 points behind with a game in hand. Very difficult, very unlikely but there is still a "chance".

Win a few games on the spin and suddenly confidence is up and you start to quickly move up that table.

Look at what happened to Ross County last season as a good example of what can be done.

I'm not for a minute saying we will, but that should be the ambition, always look up and not down.

It seems baffling - at the AGM we were told it would be an experienced manager, we would take our time and Alex Miller would be in charge in the interim, literally none of those things have happened.

After watching a few interviews he at least comes across as personable - lets hope he does a decent job.

We were actually told they were looking for experience, the word manager was never used, plus there was no definite time frame given. The Alex Miller bit was right though, he has been taking training.

I don't think we'll go down. I can't see us finishing below 3rd bottom.

In any case, it would only take a working week to interview candidates. Alex Rae can't really have much influence on tomorrow's game, so why not give the appearance at least of doing things properly?

Aye, decent point. As it is, this smacks of yet another amateur hour recruitment process. That is not a slight on Rae, by the way.

We were actually told they were looking for experience, the word manager was never used, plus there was no definite time frame given. The Alex Miller bit was right though, he has been taking training.

You would imagine, seeing as how the club were needing a new manager, when they said they were lookng for experience, it rendered the actual use of the word 'manager' redundant.

Just saying like.

So, in relation to the new manager, the board told it as it has turned out.

Some humble pie to be consumed having read some of the earlier posts.

Thought he came across well in his short interview, no outlandish claims, just some realistic improvement. He comes across as a good communicator who is nobody's fool. I don't care what team he supports as long as he gets every st Mirren player giving their all and we at least look as if we are organised. We were unlikely to attract a manager with a great track record so it might just be possible that everything that Rae has learned under good Managers in the past will be of benefit to us. Give the guy a chance

Just how is it that the club can decide who's getting the job before an interview has even taken place?

It's no wonder thay have such an appalling track record at making appointments.

Its amazing really just when I think you've heard everything, another story comes out that I struggle to believe.

If there was ever a proposal to make a film about the demise of St. Mirren it will be rejected out of hand as no-one would be able to believe that a group of guys could make such an utter mess of every single decision that's put in front of them.

All game playing stuff, stick a rumour out to your patsies and get them to sound out the feeling on the guy you have decided on from the sift of applicants or indeed the guy you knew from the outset was going to be the only interviewee, talk about the majority agreeing with your decision (even if they didn't) and jobs done. Alex Rae was mentioned as the likely man for the job on Monday this week by some of the patsies, Div held back until it was certain this time ( lesson well learned from the "sold in 24hrs" crap that the BOD slipped out)

I won't be making any judgement whatsoever on the basis of interviews with the man. Murray came across well in early interviews, and made all the right noises, so, in reality, it amounts to the square root of hee haw.

I hope this works out. The guy has a big task on his hands, and we will have to cut him a degree of slack, but should be looking for a clear vision and intent. Murray's downfall was the absolute absence of a coherent strategy for playing the game. It isn't too big an ask to expect that Rae will demonstrate a bit more know-how, and that this will be apparent pretty soon.

If (another big IF) he was genuinely interviewed, the first question should have been: "how are you intending to set out your team to win matches". No fannying about, straight to the nub.

Looking back to all our managers for the last 40 years or so, and I don't think anyone of them got me excited when the news was announce. My reaction to most of them would have been FFS or Who. Now some were great, some were good, some were so so and some were dire. Has anybody thought f ing great, that the guy I wanted to any of our previous managers ?

Oooohh, touched a nerve did I?

The supporters you bad mouth at almost every opportunity are those who are involved in the running of the club at present or were you thinking these were some shrewd businessmen that saw this as an opportunity to make a fast buck?

The reason I won't buy the club, other than not having the financial wherewithal, is that I have a full time job and a life outside of St Mirren and this forum which is likely hard for someone like yourself to believe, I know, so I think I'll keep my relationship running in a similar vein to the last 40 years and turn up for matches, support my team and try not to act like a spoiled child when things don't go as I'd like.

Do us all a favour and spare us the tedious response about where our BOD's "real" affiliations lie when it comes to football.

Touched a nerve? No you just made a prat of yourself. But hey ho thats your prerogative.

The board have blocked the other near half of supporters who hold shares and have invested in the club from having any input for over SIX years now. Is that the actions of a forward thinking group?

You would imagine, seeing as how the club were needing a new manager, when they said they were lookng for experience, it rendered the actual use of the word 'manager' redundant.

Just saying like.

Not really, everyone in the room was looking for a man with experience in management and being in this situation. The board, just by spinning it a little, have given themselves room to bring in someone with experience in the game. Very subtle, certainly more subtle than Bryan McAusland muttering "will he pay for it" when a shareholder was asking about player budgets.

Not really, everyone in the room was looking for a man with experience in management and being in this situation. The board, just by spinning it a little, have given themselves room to bring in someone with experience in the game. Very subtle, certainly more subtle than Bryan McAusland muttering "will he pay for it" when a shareholder was asking about player budgets.

Subtle? Gilmour and Co?

I seriously doubt that was in any way intentional. "Kickerwetters" etc....

Think it was just Lord Pityme and myself who criticised the appointment of Murray.

The rest of the happy clapping sheep on tho forum all praised the appointment.

As far as I know, the Lord also thinks this is a terrible appointment... And I agree with him.

Ok attention seeker thanks for telling us all.

Looking back to all our managers for the last 40 years or so, and I don't think anyone of them got me excited when the news was announce. My reaction to most of them would have been FFS or Who. Now some were great, some were good, some were so so and some were dire. Has anybody thought f ing great, that the guy I wanted to any of our previous managers ?

That's a very fair point.