St Mirren v Dundee United Championship 15/10/16

shull

First goal was always going to be vital today - we lost it following a mistake by Irvine in middle of the park which left us exposed at the back. United then sat in and we're content to hit us on the break. Was a lot more encouraged today though despite the result. For once we actually looked like a team rather than a bunch of individuals. 

KTF Buds the tide will turn COYS !

8 minutes ago, Dare said:

First goal was always going to be vital today - we lost it following a mistake by Irvine in middle of the park which left us exposed at the back. United then sat in and we're content to hit us on the break. Was a lot more encouraged today though despite the result. For once we actually looked like a team rather than a bunch of individuals. 

Harsh singling out Irvine for the first goal... nothing was inevitable about United scoring after winning the ball half way inside their own half. The fact that United midfielders were in acres of space with attackers running into space is why they scored a few well-placed passes later.

It was not a mistake from Irvine, he went down after a hard knee to knee contact, looked a sore one.

52 minutes ago, Dare said:

First goal was always going to be vital today - we lost it following...

Mah Buddie said..

"they've NOT had a shot on target..." 

basturt!....)

"they've not had a shot on target."

ka-bloody boom! :(

Edited by antrin

I think we deserved a draw today. They were better first half we were better second half. The shots straight to the goalie lost us the game. I thought Irvine had his best game for us. Lewis Morgan lacked finishing power and on a few occasions should have taken another touch or passed but still a brilliant wee player who with the right development will make the club money. In all a lot more desire today 

It was the managers first game in charge. Your needing to take a chill pill. Calms you get them in boots. It's a game of football. If you don't want to go then don't nobody drags you down to the game. You know I work somewhere where a lot of people would get a reality check on what is important. I am a st mirren fan I may not go home with a smile but hey ho that's st mirren. I do think things will change for the better

Edited by fan4ever

This.

As my mate said as we were leaving, things must be looking up if team applauded at the end despite the defeat.

I thought Hutton was much improved, and Irvine deserved his MotM award (I've never understood why he gets a lot of stick). Baird very good, and McKenzie was fine up until his daft lapse that gifted Utd their second.

Langfield gives me the heebeegeebees, unfortunately, I don't imagine he instills much confidence in the defence.

Poorer performers were Naismith and Hardie. Shankland ate all the pies, but made a decent contribution when he came on.

There are hopeful signs, but when you're in the shitter, things seldom fall for you.

This mate makes some good points and sounds as if he knows his stuff. Agree with all of the above !

13 hours ago, Drew said:

Shankland ate all the pies, but made a decent contribution when he came on.

This is something else Jack will need to sort. Langfield is heavier than he should be as well. Whether it's just these 2 not eating properly I don't know but having all your players at the appropriate weight is a basic.

Shankland, Clarkson and Walsh came on and then we looked more capable of getting a goal, i hope the manager saw that. Mallan continues to lose the ball when in possession. Naismith and Hardie looked tired out and Morgan needs to learn that he is not a striker and has to pass the ball to one of our players instead of passing it to their keeper.

For me, we always look far more dangerous when Shankland is on the park and he should partner Sutton.

I don't know if the pressure of being the man we rely on the make things happen has gotten to Mallan but his form has been poor so far. Maybe a game or two on the bench would recharge him. We've looked for him to do too much and it's not fair on him.

I have to say, I've been very critical of Hutton this season (which I feel has been justified), but he was very good yesterday. Hopefully Fowler can get the bedt out of him again.

Despite his mistake, I really like the look of McKenzie. He's good in the air and a no nonsense defender we have been screaming out for. We can't let Webster back in to this team, he's not good enough any more.

I'm a big fan of Naismith, but he just doesn't look fit. I don't know if it's just a fitness thing or if he's carrying a knock, but he was shattered before half time.

The first goal was unfortunate. Irvine picked up a knock, which wasn't a foul, and United broke and got the goal.

The second goal was poor.

Overall though, that's as well as I've seen us play this season. We lost, but at least it wasn't the usual dismal defeat with no positives. A bit more luck then Shankland would have scored and a bit more clinical and Clarkson woukd have bagged one himself as well. Yes it's a defeat, which is always disappointing, but given a few weeks for the manager to discover his favoured shape and starting 11 then it's only a matter of time till we start taking something from these games.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

Enjoyed the game - thought we were much improved in passing - both poor goals to lose - for extended periods we played in utd's half without reall threatening - thought Walsh was effective. not disheartened by the result!

enjoyed catching up with few buddies before and post game

slready looking at the fixtures and planning another trip north

il be binning my Evertonian mate Gaz - having never seen us lose - that hoodoo is  jinxed!

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

Shankland, Clarkson and Walsh came on and then we looked more capable of getting a goal, i hope the manager saw that. Mallan continues to lose the ball when in possession. Naismith and Hardie looked tired out and Morgan needs to learn that he is not a striker and has to pass the ball to one of our players instead of passing it to their keeper.

I thought Mallan was having his best game of the season until he got injured late in the first half, everyone could 

see he was struggling at the start of the 2nd half and had to be replaced...

That was the best I have seen us all season. The players actually looked like they knew what they were meant to do for a change. Irvine was MOTM by a miles and I feel he is the 1 player who had played decent all season. I thought a draw would have been fair since Utd were no better or worst than us. With no booing at the end that I heard of, I assume most saints fans thought we were unlucky not to get a point out of the game. Sadly Hutton still looked a poor player and we really need a new full back since Naismith sadly is getting worse every time I see him :(