John McGinn

If it transpires that Celtic and Hibs come to an arrangement for the 'exchange' of John McGinn and Scott Allan and Celtic thereby only have to pay the difference in their respective valuations, what would St Mirren's cut be in this  -  33% of the difference or 33% of McGinn's valuation?

Hibs will not allow him to run his contract down and he leaves for nothing. If a suitable offer comes in they will accept it as this will be his final year. I know John has indicated he would like to stay but money talks and I suspect he will be sold this summer so they can buy Scott Allan and maybe retain their other good players by offering them a better deal.

This is exactly what happened when he was with us. He was offered a new deal early on By Danny Lennon after he broke into the first team and never signed it. No clubs matched our valuation in the interim and he ran his contract down and left for compensation.

He’s had a new deal on the table from Hibs for years but has also made it clear to them he isn’t signing anything. No club has met Hibs valuation in the interim and he is running his contract down.

He knows he will get a better contract if another club don’t have to pay a fee for him. I can see him staying till the end of the season and signing a nice juicy PCA with someone in January. Unless Hibs are willing to take a lowball offer in the summer that is.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

This is exactly what happened when he was with us. He was offered a new deal early on By Danny Lennon after he broke into the first team and never signed it. No clubs matched our valuation in the interim and he ran his contract down and left for compensation.

He’s had a new deal on the table from Hibs for years but has also made it clear to them he isn’t signing anything. No club has met Hibs valuation in the interim and he is running his contract down.

He knows he will get a better contract if another club don’t have to pay a fee for him. I can see him staying till the end of the season and signing a nice juicy PCA with someone in January. Unless Hibs are willing to take a lowball offer in the summer that is.

The one key difference between now and then is us letting his contract run down would still mean we'd get compensation because of his age, so we were in a better position to reject offers in his last year. Hibs don't have that luxury, it's accept the money or get £0.

£2 million in the bank or one player for an extra season? Will be a no brainer for Hibs management, owners and fans I'd say. 

The one key difference between now and then is us letting his contract run down would still mean we'd get compensation because of his age, so we were in a better position to reject offers in his last year. Hibs don't have that luxury, it's accept the money or get £0.

£2 million in the bank or one player for an extra season? Will be a no brainer for Hibs management, owners and fans I'd say. 

Well the compensation we got was relatively piddling. But then so were the offers we received for him when he was with us too, so we had no real option.

McGinn has been in first team football for 6 years now, since 2012. Any English Championship/Premiership club or Celtic could have signed him at any point during that 6 years. They have chosen not to.

Will that change this summer when he’s 12 months away from leaving for nothing? We will see.

15 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well the compensation we got was relatively piddling. But then so were the offers we received for him when he was with us too, so we had no real option.

McGinn has been in first team football for 6 years now, since 2012. Any English Championship/Premiership club or Celtic could have signed him at any point during that 6 years. They have chosen not to.

Will that change this summer when he’s 12 months away from leaving for nothing? We will see.

The compensation might not of been brilliant but for a player of his quality to command a 33% sell on clause (all be it of course it's risky) was a great item of business. If it was up to me and they said £125k + 33% or £300k and no sell on, I'd be taking the first every day for a player like McGinn. Those figures I'm not saying are spot on but wouldn't be a million miles away. 

Yep, clubs could of came in at any point however Hibs have rejected offers as have we and until now they've had the cushion of having a few transfer windows under their belt that he's under contract. Different situation this one, sell him or get zero/ risk him signing a pre-contract in January with someone. He's also improving all the time so will be high on teams radar, likely more so than ever before. I'll be surprised if he's a Hibs player come 31st August. 

In saying all that, I know £3 million has been quoted, more I think about it, less likely I think that'll be. Maybe closer to £2.5 million which still isn't to be sniffed at when you compare it to one more season and zero. 

My opinion is that with one year left on his contract, there is not a hope in hell of Hibs getting the kind of money being talked about on here.  Even £3m is wide of the mark I reckon. Clubs can just take their chances on getting him when he’s out of contract. And let’s face it there hasn’t exactly been a clamour to sign him. Isn’t the biggest offer so far £3m when he had considerably more time left on his contract?

I sense another sell on tale of woe coming along.

As Thorizaar said though, you can’t miss what you never had, so as ever we’ll just move on.

29 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Gerrard'ss  revolution would be interesting to see what they would offer then McGinn said  no. He will end up down south. 

29 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Gerrard'ss  revolution would be interesting to see what they would offer then McGinn said  no. He will end up down south. 

seen Gary McAllister about Greenhill Road a few times over the last few seasons , it may be that he,s been impressed with a few players we,ve had in the past , I actualkly wonder if they might take a wee punt on Stevie Mallan . But a move for John McGinn would be a very bold and very clever move . That said I think a move to a top championship  team in England  , with the guarantee of first team football is the best move for him.is probably

56 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

seen Gary McAllister about Greenhill Road a few times over the last few seasons , it may be that he,s been impressed with a few players we,ve had in the past , I actualkly wonder if they might take a wee punt on Stevie Mallan . But a move for John McGinn would be a very bold and very clever move . That said I think a move to a top championship  team in England  , with the guarantee of first team football is the best move for him.is probably

West Ham are linked with McGinn he could play in the premiership no problem. 

It's not like TopCat to put a negative spin on something.

English Premier League clubs don't sit about waiting for players to run down their contracts so they can get them for free.  If the Brighton / Bournemouth rumours are true, they will be making decent bids over the summer.  I'd imagine Rodgers would be keen to have him at Celtic, but wouldn't pay more than 2m for him.

I would agree it is now or never though, if we don't see some concrete bids coming in shortly then he will be off for free in January.  Unlikely to sign another contract at Hibs.

Saw half of the Hibs v Hearts game before switching to watch Alliance v Dumbarton match.  

John McGinn did OK but was often crowded out by Hearts players. 

Big stage for him on Sunday at Easter Road v The Glasgow Strangers. 

Hope he stars and attracts huge bids! 

Edited by St.Ricky

6 hours ago, munoz said:

They're (Sevco) talking about yet another share issue to raise £6m. This must be what it's for. 

Yup just read they are lining up 4.5 m bid for John. Make a statement to Tic,

Only trouble is its Sevco so they will probably give Hibs and Us an IOU

Edited by DougJamie

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

They can't afford him, he wouldn't go. End of story.

6 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

There is not a club in Scotland that would accept a bid from Rangers without significant upfront and strong assurances over any balance outstanding. In same rumours Josh Windass was touted with a move away which would perhaps fund a chunk of McGinn fee

4 minutes ago, madball said:

There is not a club in Scotland that would accept a bid from Rangers without significant upfront and strong assurances over any balance outstanding. In same rumours Josh Windass was touted with a move away which would perhaps fund a chunk of McGinn fee

Yeah hear u Bud

Dave King is making more assurances than David Davies these days :lol:

23 hours ago, munoz said:

They're (Sevco) talking about yet another share issue to raise £6m. This must be what it's for. 

Isn't the share issue for £23 million as the mastermind King suggests it would clear the £17 mill. debt  AND leave £6 million leftover to fund Gerrard's multimillion pound transfer budget. Which, by the way, Davie boy is going to bankroll on his own no matter what.

For Dave King, read Walter Mitty.

Edited by stlucifer