John McGinn

So what is the position with the sell-on clause in the situation where Celtic and Hibs do a player exchange?

I would imagine that it depends on the wording of the sell-on clause agreed by St Mirren with Hibs.

Surely it shouldn't matter whether McGinn's overall sell-on valuation is determined purely in pounds sterling or a combination of a swap + cash?

1 minute ago, northstbuddie said:

So what is the position with the sell-on clause in the situation where Celtic and Hibs do a player exchange?

I would imagine that it depends on the wording of the sell-on clause agreed by St Mirren with Hibs.

Surely it shouldn't matter whether McGinn's overall sell-on valuation is determined purely in pounds sterling or a combination of a swap + cash?

A combination.

McGinn going to Celtic will be the worst case scenario for us which will mean we will get a good bit less money as Scott Allan will also be involved in the transfer. 

That will be another player we've developed and got very little money for. I really hope the board are at least considering rethinking our development strategy for our young players beyond the academy. These 2 year contracts are useless. 1 year to bed into the team, 1 year to play well then they are gone for peanuts. 

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

McGinn going to Celtic will be the worst case scenario for us which will mean we will get a good bit less money as Scott Allan will also be involved in the transfer. 

That will be another player we've developed and got very little money for. I really hope the board are at least considering rethinking our development strategy for our young players beyond the academy. These 2 year contracts are useless. 1 year to bed into the team, 1 year to play well then they are gone for peanuts. 

I don't think we would get less as a value would be agreed re. Scott Alan. But I agree that it's not as clean cut. On the two year thing,  we couldn't budget too far ahead without the potential of causing financial issues if things didn't go our way in the league.

32 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Mcginn should go to Sunderland... he'll get more money, the chance to work with Jack Ross and i think he'll get them back to the premiership in 2 seasons, 3 max.

I honestly believe JR will be paid out on his last two years after failing to get them near the top of the championship. League 1 is almost a gimme. The Championship have teams with real clout and loadsamoney.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

I honestly believe JR will be paid out on his last two years after failing to get them near the top of the championship. League 1 is almost a gimme. The Championship have teams with real clout and loadsamoney.

That's exactly where JR wants to be.  Fighting it out in the Championship in year 2. Truthfully,  I just don't think we get how big a potential Sunderland has as a club.  

2 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Two year contracts or one with an extension clause are reality at our level now I’m afraid. Very seldom does a youngster  get the four or five years contracts of old.  So much can happen with young lads coming through , it would be too big a risk to offer them to  a whole load of players and the “special ones” tend to get picked off early by agents who try to dissuade them from such tie ins . It’s in their interests to keep youngsters options open .

49 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Two year contracts or one with an extension clause are reality at our level now I’m afraid. Very seldom does a youngster  get the four or five years contracts of old.  So much can happen with young lads coming through , it would be too big a risk to offer them to  a whole load of players and the “special ones” tend to get picked off early by agents who try to dissuade them from such tie ins . It’s in their interests to keep youngsters options open .

Just because that is the way it has always been done doesnt make it right. If we had invested in giving a few of the more promising youngsters a longer contract we would have made some decent money from the long list of players we have let go for peanuts - McGinn, Mallan, Morgan, McAllister, McLean etc.

Which IMO would well outweigh any loss we may make in giving a player a long term contract who turns out a failure. I'm not talking about giving these players millions, just an extra couple of years comited to us. 

12 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Just because that is the way it has always been done doesnt make it right. If we had invested in giving a few of the more promising youngsters a longer contract we would have made some decent money from the long list of players we have let go for peanuts - McGinn, Mallan, Morgan, McAllister, McLean etc.

Which IMO would well outweigh any loss we may make in giving a player a long term contract who turns out a failure. I'm not talking about giving these players millions, just an extra couple of years comited to us. 

John McGinn signed a 3 year improved deal during his first season with the first team - he refused further extensions despite being offered them.

Kenny McLean played in our first team for almost 5 years despite often being the subject of rumours during transfer windows - after 2 first team appearances he signed a 3 year deal, and then signed 1 further extension.

A few months after his first appearance Stevie Mallan signed a 3 year deal keeping him at St Mirren until 2018... he left after 2 out of those 3 years.

Lewis Morgan joined on a 2 year deal from Rangers youth team, signed a 2 year extension and a further 1 year extension... he was with the club for 5 seasons.

I listened with interest last Saturday on BBC Sportsound and I have to say I was most impressed with Robbie on what he had to say about Saints.He mentioned the Training Facilities the Stadium and the general infrastructure of our Club all of which impressed him greatly.Yes he mentioned budgets why would he not? If he was interviewed for the vacancy surely those are the type of questions he should be asking.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

McGinn was pretty annonymous this morning. McLean did OK out wide on the right and was better when moved into the middle for the last 25 minutes or so. Morgan looked our best (/ only) attacking threat

Yup. Spot on. Hopefully we’ll get to see more than 20 minutes of Morgan against Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing Armstrong looking like going down south for 7m in the last year of his contract. Hopefully Celtic will be prepared to pay half that (at least) for John.

Sorry to bump this but i guess im just hoping this is what was holding Brendan back from lumping som cash in Hibs/our direction.

3 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Seeing Armstrong looking like going down south for 7m in the last year of his contract. Hopefully Celtic will be prepared to pay half that (at least) for John.

Sorry to bump this but i guess im just hoping this is what was holding Brendan back from lumping som cash in Hibs/our direction.

McGinn is a better player, but Armstrong has more goals in his game and that's maybe why English club will pay so much for Armstrong. Hopefully what you say will happen.

On 6/22/2018 at 8:24 PM, SaintGlenburn said:

They are looking to buy Roberts so the money for Armstrong is going towards that

39 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

They are looking to buy Roberts so the money for Armstrong is going towards that

I have only seen Roberts on TV. Has skill but seems to be injury prone and has often been used as a sub. Brendan knows a lot more than I do about football though. 

Hibs need to call John McGinns bluff as he is running down his contract to join Celtic next summer.

All this I am happy at Hibs talk is just a stalling technique, if he was that happy he would have signed a contract extension. 

John and his agent played Saints with speargate and potentially moving to the MLS and they are now playing Hibs, I don’t blame them as the are doing what is right for them but Hibs need to just put him up for sale.

3 minutes ago, John Gotti said:

Hibs need to call John McGinns bluff as he is running down his contract to join Celtic next summer.

All this I am happy at Hibs talk is just a stalling technique, if he was that happy he would have signed a contract extension. 

John and his agent played Saints with speargate and potentially moving to the MLS and they are now playing Hibs, I don’t blame them as the are doing what is right for them but Hibs need to just put him up for sale.

My guess would be .. no contract extension and he will be sold before the window closes. Leanne D is no mug.

The thing is its not like they have paid out a massive amount on him so they don't actually have a great amount to lose. He has gone there won a scottish cup, won promotion and would leave them an established top league team.

If he goes next year for free what have they actually lost? If they sell him, between our 33% and whatever amount they need to pay elsewhere, are they going to be left with much change? Probably not. Is it really in their best interests to sell him or just get another year out of him.

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

The thing is its not like they have paid out a massive amount on him so they don't actually have a great amount to lose. He has gone there won a scottish cup, won promotion and would leave them an established top league team.

If he goes next year for free what have they actually lost? If they sell him, between our 33% and whatever amount they need to pay elsewhere, are they going to be left with much change? Probably not. Is it really in their best interests to sell him or just get another year out of him.

Very much this.